• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler - Wasim or Imran?

Greatest Pakistani fast bowler?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
People are underestimating Imran here quite a bit. Imran has an awesome record against all teams in all countries. At his peak too Imran was the better bowler. Wasim could do more with the ball but Imran was better at wicket taking.
I am not underestimating Imran, It would be really foolish to do so. I am not sure why do I have look at the statistics to make a judgment about two bowlers both of whom I had the pleasure of watching. Leave the stats book out and look at their bowling and if you still believe that Imran was better then I am fine with your opinion. But if your opinion is based on Statistical records then I really have no value for your opinion because Stats mean nothing when you compare two greats.

If Imran was a better bowler than Akram at his peak then Akram was very easily the better bowler when not at peak. I always find it difficult to compare two all time greats, it basically comes down to your own criteria, I don't believe there was a bowler in the history who was more skillful than Wasim Akram. Watched him first in 1985 and in his last game in 2003 (?) and he remained a world class bowler from the first test till the last one, same can't be said about Imran.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am not underestimating Imran, It would be really foolish to do so. I am not sure why do I have look at the statistics facts to make a judgment about two bowlers both of whom I had the pleasure of watching. Leave the stats facts book out and look at their bowling and if you still believe that Imran was better then I am fine with your opinion. But if your opinion is based on Statistical factual records then I really have no value for your opinion because Stats facts mean nothing when you compare two greats.
Fixed :cool:

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well good for you, if you believe that. I am very sure that Akram's Bowling stats are very comparable to Imran's and equally sure that statistically a case can easily be made in Akram's favor but that is not something that interests me.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Well good for you, if you believe that. I am very sure that Akram's Bowling stats are very comparable to Imran's and equally sure that statistically a case can easily be made in Akram's favor but that is not something that interests me.
Don't take it personally :) I have no problem with your POV. I just can't resist when application of stats facts to make an argument is ridiculed or belittled.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am not underestimating Imran, It would be really foolish to do so. I am not sure why do I have look at the statistics to make a judgment about two bowlers both of whom I had the pleasure of watching. Leave the stats book out and look at their bowling and if you still believe that Imran was better then I am fine with your opinion. But if your opinion is based on Statistical records then I really have no value for your opinion because Stats mean nothing when you compare two greats.

If Imran was a better bowler than Akram at his peak then Akram was very easily the better bowler when not at peak. I always find it difficult to compare two all time greats, it basically comes down to your own criteria, I don't believe there was a bowler in the history who was more skillful than Wasim Akram. Watched him first in 1985 and in his last game in 2003 (?) and he remained a world class bowler from the first test till the last one, same can't be said about Imran.
Except for the 2-2.5 years from 1983-1985 Imran was Pakistan's premier bowler all throughout the 80s. He was pretty much at his peak throughout that period which is no small period. Wasim may have been better outside of the peak period I think.

salman85

International Debutant
I do think Wasim was the better bowler,but Imran had to share much more of the workload than Wasim ever did.

Wasim played with Waqar,Shoaib and Aqib.Whereas the only fast bowler close to being world class in Imran's teams was Sarfraz Nawaz.Also,Imran stood out in an era where the world was dominated by all time great fast bowlers.The number of these ATGs had considerably died down during Wasim's career.

For pure talent and ability,Wasim Akram for me is the most gifted fast bowler in history.He could make the bowl do things no one else could.Whether others achieved more than him is another story.

Here is some Wasim Akram nostaliga for people who can understand Urdu/Hindi.For those who can't,the kids ask "Wasim don't you get tired?" and he replies "No i don't smoke".This was an anti-smoking ad aired on national TV during the early 1990s,and it was probably first aired in 1989/1990.Easily the most memorable ad for my generation.It was shot in one of Lahore's most famous parks,and incidentally my dad used to take me there was i was younger.So there's an element of persona attachment to this ad too :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRdY-2J4yY&feature=related

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Also,Imran stood out in an era where the world was dominated by all time great fast bowlers.The number of these ATGs had considerably died down during Wasim's career.

Not too sure that Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Younus, McGrath, Akhtar, Lee would ncessarily agree. Perhaps the numbers were slightly lower but not that much lower.

salman85

International Debutant
Not too sure that Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Younus, McGrath, Akhtar, Lee would ncessarily agree. Perhaps the numbers were slightly lower but not that much lower.
I would not rate Shoaib and Lee as all time greats.Yes i agree,the gap wasn't huge,but it was there.Or rather the pack of fast bowler's during Imran's time was 'greater' than the ones in Wasim's time.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think it was quite comparable and 90s might even have better bowlers some may say

80s

Imran
Hadlee
Lillee (4-5 years only)
Holding
Garner
Marshall
Botham
Kapil
(Bob Willis???? Probably not too much I suppose)

90s
Wasim
Waqar
Walsh
Amby
Pollock
Donald
McGrath

bagapath

International Captain
I think it was quite comparable and 90s might even have better bowlers some may say

80s

Imran
Hadlee
Lillee (4-5 years only)
Holding
Garner
Marshall
Botham
Kapil
(Bob Willis???? Probably not too much I suppose)

90s
Wasim
Waqar
Walsh
Amby
Pollock
Donald
McGrath
willis deserves a spot and so do roberts and croft, for sure.

fanie de villiers and bruce reid were very good for a short while in the 90s.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Think the high quality fast bowling talent was as abundant in 90's as in 80's. It's mostly nostalgia that leads many to think that 80's pace talent > 90's pace talent.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
More importantly, the 90s actually had strong 'attacks'. Half the best fast bowlers of the 80s were in one team. In the 90s you had 4 all time great attacks (Pak, SA, Aus and WI).

hang on

State Vice-Captain
ikki,
not sure that the australian fast bowling attack of the 90s was an all time great one. yes, mcgrath is an all time great but a. nother (mcdermott or fleming or towards the end, gillespie) does not match upto any of pollock, waqar or walsh.
perhaps this raises an interesting and somewhat different point. how does an attack with 2 all time great fast bowlers compare to one with one all time great fast bowler and one all time great spinner?