• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Similar Players

adharcric

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
donald bradman = sachin tendulkar...

I have a new found respect now for sachin... I was watching a documentary on bradman's life and they spoke about how Bradman thought he was like Tendulkar and Bradman's wife actually said "they looked the same" when they batted. They then interviewed Tendulkar and he was so humble and held Bradman in such high reverence it was great.
any way i can catch a glimpse of this documentary? i've heard so much of bradman, sobers, richards, hadlee and other all-time greats but i've never been able to see them considering they were long gone long before i arrived. so i just accept bradman's greatness without ever knowing why he was really that great.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I won't win any awards for originality, but Strauss has clearly seen Langer play once or twice. Fidel Edwards is like a "mini-me" version of Thommo too.
I've always considered him a pretty good combination of Thomson and Lillee.
Mind, he's currently fit to lace the boots of neither.
My final one may be wishful thinking on my part, but Colly looked like nothing so much as a mirror image of Sir Graham Thorpe in the first test. Nudging, nurdling & rotating the strike v effectively.

That's the mockers put on him well & truly, obv! :p
Thorpey was actually capable of scoring runs other than on extremely flat pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
Kevin Pietersen - Allan Lamb

same sort of attitude to the game really.
Though there are also obvious similarities between Pietersen and Sir Isaac Vivian and plenty have mentioned that already (I think Hussain was the first).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Ian Blackwell - Robbie Peterson
Indeed virtually the exact same actions, quite the same with Daniel Luca Vettori - Mudhsuden Singh Panesar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Chris Schofield - Neil Pickup

(sorry Neil)
I was thinking more Patterson Thompson - Neil Pickup.
(Have you ever been on the end of the Pickup Bouncers in the nets?)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Merv Dillon = Courtney Walsh.
An intreguing case, because you take freeze-shots (from front-on, not behind) of their actions and they're essentially identical; but you watch the thing in motion and there's little in common (possibly Dillon's extra classicallness has held him back in relation to Courtney).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
Any others?
Marcus Trescothick = Graham Gooch in a mirror, in all except the backlift.
Jason Lewry = Zaheer Khan, in EVERY way. First time I saw Zaheer I couldn't believe the similarities.
Ramnaresh Sarwan currently has a stance very like Kim Barnett used to have, before he acquired extra eccentricity late in his career.
Jahad Ahmed (Neil will hopefully understand) = Ajit Agarkar
Simon Yeo = Johann Botha \ Ruwan Kalpage (Neil is about the only one who spotted this)
Richard Dickinson = modelled on a combination of Dominic Cork, Darren Gough, Richard Hadlee and Michael Kasprowicz (without the no-balls). I've never videoed myself bowling and I must do so to see whether I really do look like any of them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I've been told I look like Tom Graveney when I bat and Brett Lee when I bowl..

Well Tom Graveny is 78 and Brett Lee is ugly...

Chubb

International Regular
The captain of my club side told me I have a startling resemblance to Bevan Congdon, though Bev seems to have been a lot shorter than I am, and I've never seen his technique. I think Gaz just picked some random NZer tbh.

Though someone at my club also once compared my batting to Devon Malcolm...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
They probably bounced somewhere!
For me they bounced about halfway down - then usually hit the side-netting, but I managed to middle 4 IIRR.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Marcus Trescothick = Graham Gooch in a mirror, in all except the backlift.
Jason Lewry = Zaheer Khan, in EVERY way. First time I saw Zaheer I couldn't believe the similarities.
Ramnaresh Sarwan currently has a stance very like Kim Barnett used to have, before he acquired extra eccentricity late in his career.
Jahad Ahmed (Neil will hopefully understand) = Ajit Agarkar
Simon Yeo = Johann Botha \ Ruwan Kalpage (Neil is about the only one who spotted this)
Richard Dickinson = modelled on a combination of Dominic Cork, Darren Gough, Richard Hadlee and Michael Kasprowicz (without the no-balls). I've never videoed myself bowling and I must do so to see whether I really do look like any of them.
I'm assuming the Yeo/Botha link is along the lines of being chuckers.

As for you, a right-handed Irfan Pathan is probably as close as I can think of - personally I reckon I'm closest to Alok Kapali in terms of bowling... and an r/h Chris Martin batting.

My bouncers are getting better...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet when bowling seam-up Patterson Thompson is still the best comparison I can think of for an international player.
Botha was the first spinner-chucker who came to mind with regards comparison to Yeoey... but his action doesn't really resemble Botha's at all, it's much more like Ruwan Kalpage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
As for you, a right-handed Irfan Pathan is probably as close as I can think of
Interesting... I've never looked at Pathan in a mirror, either, nor have I ever really thought of my action as anything like his... much more jerky than mine.
Be an interesting comparison to make when I film myself.