• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowler throwing the ball at a batsman

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whats with this new fad of slamming the ball at the batsman if he plays it back at the bowler? Its a bit off in my book, after all, you aren't going to run him out (Inzi's was a one off)

It's only going to take a batsman to get hit in the neck or helmet in a needly fixture and all hell could break lose.. Its totally pointless, looks ugly, and goes against the grain of sportsmanship..

Andre Nel, Steve Harmison and Simon Jones are the worst offenders in my book

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
happend to me in a game the bowler biffed the ball at me so i picked it up and threw it back an got him in the head,the umpire gave me out

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
um nt sure all of the above i think,he just said i needed to calm down.but its not nice wen a bowler can get away with throwing the ball at a batsman

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Heard that the ICC want a crackdown on this, especially when it's done while the batsman never left his crease. The one that Nel did to Clarke in the first one dayer was one of the stupidest acts I've seen in a long time.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cric_manic said:
happend to me in a game the bowler biffed the ball at me so i picked it up and threw it back an got him in the head,the umpire gave me out
Noooo no you didn't.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Brett Lee enjoys doing it too.

It's only happened to me once, where he biffed it at me and I blocked it with my bat, and the bowler appealed for obstructing the field. The umpire said no, and gave the bowler a good talking to.

I think he bowled me later on though. 'Twas a while ago.

benchmark00

cric_manic said:
And you can be sure of this,how?
For starters, the bowler wouldve been far enough away from you to see the ball coming, thus meaning he could have either caught the ball, ducked, weaved, whatever. Couple with that the inaccuracy and lack of power one experiences whilst wearing cricket gloves. And finally, you'd be on some sort of criminal charges.

Blaze

Banned
I agree with Ian Chappel on this one, the batsman should swing the bat and try and get it to deflect for 4 runs... that is if they are brave enough to not turn away.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
cric_manic said:
cric_manic said:
um nt sure all of the above i think,he just said i needed to calm down.but its not nice wen a bowler can get away with throwing the ball at a batsman

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think it's out of order - but I also think Matt Hayden's reaction to it when Jones did it to him was one of the most out-of-order things I've ever seen on a cricket field. Harmison does it a bit too often, and there are plenty of others who do it too.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is definetely out of order. I know that Lee's being doing it for years now, or at least threatening to throw it. As Rich said, you're not going to get him out so, and there's also the chance of four over throws when you inevitably miss, so why do it?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
andyc said:
It is definetely out of order. I know that Lee's being doing it for years now, or at least threatening to throw it. As Rich said, you're not going to get him out so, and there's also the chance of four over throws when you inevitably miss, so why do it?
...because of some misplaced notion of showing aggression...when all it does is annoy the batsman and in most cases would probably just motivate the batsman to do even better.

Very stupid indeed.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
I've never tried it, and never will. Personally, I rely on seam and swing to get wickets, not agression, and that's how it should be.
And anyways, one of our bats (Will) got hit in the back of the head when a bowler angrily threw the ball at the keeper.
The umpire angrily signaled four, and reprimanded the bowler.

benchmark00

I dunno, theres certainly a school of thought which points to intimidation being an effective weapon (Windies paceman used intimidation in other forms), that being said, throwing the ball is stupid. Who cares if they pretend to throw it? When the bowler throws it and hits the batter, that's when it's ridiculous.

I know when a big fast bowler threatens to kill me, my mind starts thinking i wanna be other places.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Its nothin but stupid, it shouldn't be done.. its highly unlikely fast bowlers can get them out that way.. I seen shane warne do it on few occasions tooo

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
lol in what way? Abuse? Handled ball in an extreme manner
No facility for a batsman to be sent-off.
He can be banned after the game, but not dismissed for "abuse".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Heard that the ICC want a crackdown on this, especially when it's done while the batsman never left his crease. The one that Nel did to Clarke in the first one dayer was one of the stupidest acts I've seen in a long time.
IMO no more stupid than the Jones-Hayden one last summer.