• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowler throwing the ball at a batsman

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
I dunno, theres certainly a school of thought which points to intimidation being an effective weapon (Windies paceman used intimidation in other forms)
By-and-large West Indies used good, skillful bowling to get their wickets.
Intimidation is much more for show than effect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
alternative said:
Its nothin but stupid, it shouldn't be done.. its highly unlikely fast bowlers can get them out that way.. I seen shane warne do it on few occasions tooo
Lots of people do it - very occasionally there is a legitimate run-out being gone for, but only very occasionally.
Most of the time it's not even done to try and throw the batsman off - for Nel, especially, there's little or nothing in his antics (glaring, staring, throwing the ball, mouthing-off, whatever) aimed at discomfiting the batsman, it's all simply about getting himself going. If it discomfits the batsman that's just a useful side-effect.
The same thing I think can broadly be said of Simon Jones. For some bowlers it's just something they do without thinking.
Does anyone remember Merv Hughes hurling a ball back at Atherton when he straight-drove it (would probably have been 93 but might just possibly have been 89)? Amazing how little fuss was kicked-up back then.
Basic fact is, it's not acceptible unless there's a genuine chance of a run-out and IMO bowlers should be fined for that every bit as much as a batsman should for throwing his bat at a close-fielder.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I think it's out of order - but I also think Matt Hayden's reaction to it when Jones did it to him was one of the most out-of-order things I've ever seen on a cricket field. Harmison does it a bit too often, and there are plenty of others who do it too.
I think Hayden's re-action was one of the best things in cricket i've seen, why should the bowler be allowed to throw the ball at the batsman and the batsman just have to stand there and take it?

Imagine the up-roar if a batsman hit threw the ball in the air to himself then smacked it at a close fielder...

And i think the point about being agressive is complete garbage, intimidation works in physical sports like rugby, not in cricket.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The Hayden-Jones thing would only have been good if Jones would have sparked the ****ing banana bender.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
I think Hayden's re-action was one of the best things in cricket i've seen, why should the bowler be allowed to throw the ball at the batsman and the batsman just have to stand there and take it?
Indeed, Clarke didn't kick-up the fuss he should've done IMO, Nel should have received a severe reprimand for his actions, and I certainly think he should've been told to apologise to Clarke publically.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Yes, so was I - something Matt (not unusually) seems to have missed.
You accusing me of not having a perceptive sense of humour? Now I've heard everything. And could you not refer to me by my first name?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
layin' down the law :D
Voltman is Judge Dredd?

(Puts on best Joey Belladonna voice, sings "I am the law - and you won't fu..." voice trails into distance)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I think it's out of order - but I also think Matt Hayden's reaction to it when Jones did it to him was one of the most out-of-order things I've ever seen on a cricket field. Harmison does it a bit too often, and there are plenty of others who do it too.
Why? He was well within his rights to be angry, given what occured.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
You accusing me of not having a perceptive sense of humour? Now I've heard everything.
No, I accuse you of (possibly deliberately) thinking I had not realised Rich was using his sense-of-humour.
And could you not refer to me by my first name?
Why not?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Because I prefer people to use my log-in name. Otherwise I would have signed up with my first name as my log-in. Can you respect that?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Lee always does it i reeber a short time back
he did it, missed the stumps, it missed the batsmen, missed the keeper and the ball went for four
Serves him right

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
Because I prefer people to use my log-in name. Otherwise I would have signed up with my first name as my log-in. Can you respect that?
But then the whole world would have known that your first name is Janice.