• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt the bat now Matt the great

Slifer

International Captain
I just think thats this is just another case of Wisden putting its foot in its mouth. Sachin R Tendulkar is easily the best batsman of the last ten years (1996-2006). Thank u Jono for the stats which show SRT doing better despite playing on tuffer wickets against far superior attacks. make no mistake Hayden has been amazing recently (5 years of so) but one question i have to ask, where was he in the 5 years b4 that??

Slifer

International Captain
Now and for all Wisden has lost all credibility IMO. SRT should have gotten this award (with BCL a close second ) and im glad that most of the cricketing public share my POV; right?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Slifer said:
Now and for all Wisden has lost all credibility IMO. SRT should have gotten this award (with BCL a close second ) and im glad that most of the cricketing public share my POV; right?
The award was based on stats though, not opinion.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Craig said:
They included a player's failure rate (scores under 20), current average, percentage of hundreds, aggregate runs, percentage of games in which a player top-scored, the number of times a player was in a winning side and his strike rate.
Hmmmm....

Craig

World Traveller
C_C said:
Figures.
Wisden's ratings are so inconsistent and ludicrous that its funny.
For Lara should easily be the best batsman of the new millenia.
More like a guy with a giant ego who likes to play often when the mood kicks in.

(That's more the impression I get from the guy).

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
It would be nice if people could actually check to see if a thread on this was already made and IMO this should be shut because we have two topics on the one subject and mine was definatly created first.

Or at the worse merged.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah, Brain lara's bat defitently did it for Matt :laugh: :lol:

OT: BCL shouldnt won it imo ! and not SRT he's good but not god. imo that is :')

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slifer said:
I just think thats this is just another case of Wisden putting its foot in its mouth. Sachin R Tendulkar is easily the best batsman of the last ten years (1996-2006).
I wouldn't say he's easily the best player of that entire period.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
For sheer consistentency Hayden, who has been the only player in the game to score over 1000 runs in a year for 5 years in a row, has been recognised. I agree with most other players here that Lara, Tendulkar and even Ponting are better batsmen, but they have more troughs and highs than Hayden. He, along with Dravid, deserves to be bracketed with the other three as the best batsmen of their generation.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
aussie said:
he deserves it, after all based on the stats he has been the best test batsman in last decade.
He has only been playing test cricket regularly for the past FIVE years....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
mavric41 said:
For sheer consistentency Hayden, who has been the only player in the game to score over 1000 runs in a year for 5 years in a row, has been recognised. I agree with most other players here that Lara, Tendulkar and even Ponting are better batsmen, but they have more troughs and highs than Hayden. He, along with Dravid, deserves to be bracketed with the other three as the best batsmen of their generation.
since when is FIVE years a whole GENERATION?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Lol the winning team ration thing obviously played a huge part...Hayden's been a great player over the last 5 years but he's no Lara or Tendulkar...and he wasnt even playing let alone doing well for half the decade :blink:

Wonder how Saeed Anwar came close yet Inzy dosent get a mention lol :wacko:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Lara? Kallis is the best batsman 2000-current.

Anyway, just on Hayden, I'm sorry but I think to say that he is the best batsman of the last decade (1996-2006) is a joke. Did the judges see him against Walsh, Ambrose, McGrath etc? Hayden is a very good player, but he's really cashed in on some pretty ordinary pace attacks. He's never had to face Warne and McGrath at Test level and, when finally confronted with a superb fast bowling battery in England in 2005, he was short of the mark - just like he was against Ambrose, Walsh etc. A very good player, but certainly not the best in the last ten years.
Whilst he didn't have a great Ashes tour last year, he has refound how he should bat, if the Ashes were to be held this year he would be the leading run scorer I have no doubt. Weak attacks or not, he has still gone 5 consecutive years scoring 1000 runs, has the highest score by an Australian batsman and a great average. Not too much to argue with there.