• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowler ever?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath said:
this is an attempt by a rookie to make a chronological list of the fastest bowlers from the beginning of test cricket till date - the one goughy started some time back. most of it is based on anecdotal evidence from various cricket books i've read. more recent names come from my years of watching cricket.

"demon" spofforth
constantine
larwood
miller
tyson
hall
lillee
holding
thomson
marshall
imran (at least in 1982 - 83)
waqar
donald
devon malcolm
akhthar
lee
bond
You could add Patrick Patterson & Roy Gilchrist to this list.

FRAZ

International Captain
I would like to say one thing that its only Shoaib Akhtar who was the Fastest PERIOD

Thommo was second and Lee third ...Thats it .. Get it now please ...........

Perry Mason

Cricket Spectator
FRAZ said:
I would like to say one thing that its only Shoaib Akhtar who was the Fastest PERIOD

Thommo was second and Lee third ...Thats it .. Get it now please ...........
Sure, its the air friction that's turning him bald.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is absolutely no way anyone can tell who was the fastest since it hasnt all been recorded and even from the time they started recording the methods and definition has changed.

At best the batsmen who actually faced two or more fast bowlers might 'comment' on who they 'felt' bowled faster but even that wouldnt be conclusive and it wouldnt cover more than three or four of the list down time anyway.

shammy12

Cricket Spectator
fastest bowler ever

I would certainly say akhtar of lee but what about shaun taitt of australia? Also i heard about ian bishop of the west indies, does anybody have an idea of how fast he was?

The_Bunny

State Regular
I would certainly say akhtar of lee but what about shaun tait of australia? Also i heard about ian bishop of the west indies, does anybody have an idea of how fast he was?
I heard that he was clocked at close to 160 in a domestic game...
Tbh I have no idea if thats true though.

readie

State Regular
I heard that he was clocked at close to 160 in a domestic game...
Tbh I have no idea if thats true though.
He clocked 160 exactly in an ODI against NZ in the summer just gone. I think it was at the SCG but i could be wrong

neville cardus

International Debutant
W.G. reckoned that he had never been so insulted before, but I seem to recall that they made amends not long afterwards in a match-winning partnership for the Gentlemen against the Players.

archie mac

International Coach
W.G. reckoned that he had never been so insulted before, but I seem to recall that they made amends not long afterwards in a match-winning partnership for the Gentlemen against the Players.

Yes that is correct, to celerbrate WGs 50th birthday, they just failed to hold out for a draw

David Kynaston wrote a great book called WGs Brithday Party (not sure if that is the correct title)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Yes that is correct, to celerbrate WGs 50th birthday, they just failed to hold out for a draw

David Kynaston wrote a great book called WGs Brithday Party (not sure if that is the correct title)
I really must get my paws on that book. Do you know anything more about it, Archie?