Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Do you think wrong decisions can change the result of the match?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 96.97%
  • No

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Umpire

Icon5 Third Umpire

During day four of the first test between India and England,this incident occured.Kumble was bowling to Pieterson and the batsman hit the ball back to the bowler directly.The Indians started celebrating but the batsman wasn't convinced and stood right there.The umpire then called for the third umpire.He had several looks at it,the commentator was convinced that it was out,but the third umpire flashed the green light on.

A wrong decision by the normal umpire who is viewing it in real time can be accepted,but wrong decisions with the help of technology isn't a good sign.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I think that, more to the point, you ought to be more concerned about the pathetic catching on display than on a single aberration..
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karthik.2
    During day four of the first test between India and England,this incident occured.Kumble was bowling to Pieterson and the batsman hit the ball back to the bowler directly.The Indians started celebrating but the batsman wasn't convinced and stood right there.The umpire then called for the third umpire.He had several looks at it,the commentator was convinced that it was out,but the third umpire flashed the green light on.

A wrong decision by the normal umpire who is viewing it in real time can be accepted,but wrong decisions with the help of technology isn't a good sign.
    the point is you can only give a batsman out if you are 100% sure it is out...and on those replays of the KP 'catch' I dont think anyone could be 100% sure. From one angle, it looked to me KP his the ball as the ball was on the ground and so I would say he wasnt out
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Sorry to disagree, but it looked totally out for me. Side-view was the one that showed it best.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Sorry to disagree, but it looked totally out for me. Side-view was the one that showed it best.
    the side view (from KPs offside) did look out, but the moment of impact on the ball by the bat was in between frames, so in fact you couldnt see it. The give away view was from the onside straightish, and you can see that the ball may well have been touching the ground when the bat hit it...the point is though that there is no way to really know for certain, and in that case the benefit has to go to the batsman, and so the correct decision was made IMO.

It would have been interesting to see s Super slo-mo type shot of it.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    the point is you can only give a batsman out if you are 100% sure it is out...and on those replays of the KP 'catch' I dont think anyone could be 100% sure. From one angle, it looked to me KP his the ball as the ball was on the ground and so I would say he wasnt out
    It was interesting to hear KP being interviewed afterwards - and he admitted that he was 'fortunate' having seen a few replays. I think we can take it as read that it was in all likelihood out - but remember that the ball takes about a second to travel 20 metres and television cameras work on either 30 or 60 frames per second. Even at the faster rate, consecutive frames would show the ball having moved on 30 cm or so (one of the reasons third umpires have such a problem with close direct-hit run-outs) and your brain fills in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    It was interesting to hear KP being interviewed afterwards - and he admitted that he was 'fortunate' having seen a few replays. I think we can take it as read that it was in all likelihood out - but remember that the ball takes about a second to travel 20 metres and television cameras work on either 30 or 60 frames per second. Even at the faster rate, consecutive frames would show the ball having moved on 30 cm or so (one of the reasons third umpires have such a problem with close direct-hit run-outs) and your brain fills in the blanks.
    absolutely,and so the benefit has to go to the batsman, otherwise it is actually just guessing that he was out

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    I say Wrong decisions can change the result of the match, but we do have to consider the uncertaitnity and so forth.. if the umpire is not 100% confirmed, then i just see that its not correct for the batsmen to be given out..

in any case, i agree with eddie.. they just needed to latch on to the catches atleast.. there has been alot said about the india fielding that the youth has been a great asset in this department.. But i just didn't work..

I blame the drop catches cost to be more important than that of the umpire's decision in this case..

Quote Originally Posted by alternative
    I say Wrong decisions can change the result of the match, but we do have to consider the uncertaitnity and so forth.. if the umpire is not 100% confirmed, then i just see that its not correct for the batsmen to be given out..

in any case, i agree with eddie.. they just needed to latch on to the catches atleast.. there has been alot said about the india fielding that the youth has been a great asset in this department.. But i just didn't work..

I blame the drop catches cost to be more important than that of the umpire's decision in this case..
    The "youth" aspect shows up more in ODIs, where we often have Yuvraj, Kaif AND Raina on at the same time. Take a look at the "seasoned" test lineup, Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid and Tendulkar are not world-class agile fielders, Jaffer isn't as good as Gambhir and Kaif is wasted half the time at short-leg.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    It would have been interesting to see s Super slo-mo type shot of it.
    Why the third umpire doesn't use super slow-mo to judge close run outs and catches I don't know, but it'd make a whole lot more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    No offence but it's kinda stupid to ask
    "do wrong decisions affect a match"(not exact words)
    your bound to get 1 or 2 bad decisions now and again - i cant say if was bad or not
    i didnt see "the KP incident" but maybe if this guy has been hired to be the 3rd umpire he might be trained to see things we don't
    Maria - Due December

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    For me as long as there is a single angle that suggests it's clearly out there's no doubt.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    The "youth" aspect shows up more in ODIs, where we often have Yuvraj, Kaif AND Raina on at the same time. Take a look at the "seasoned" test lineup, Sehwag, Laxman, Dravid and Tendulkar are not world-class agile fielders, Jaffer isn't as good as Gambhir and Kaif is wasted half the time at short-leg.
    Dravid and Laxman are IMO World-class slip-fielders, even if Laxman did put down a complete clanger off Pietersen.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Why the third umpire doesn't use super slow-mo to judge close run outs and catches I don't know, but it'd make a whole lot more sense.
    Usually because there's only 1 camera at each game (I presume they're kinda expensive), but obviously as the 1000fps cameras become more standard they will be used in said situations.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    That decision was as stupid as you will get. Period. I don't see why anyone has to justify such a ludicurously(sp?) bad decision. But mistakes happen. India had other chances to get KP out too. So, in the end analysis, I think India's inability to catch affected the match more than that idiotic decision.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information