• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somerset Sign Nixon McLean for 2003

Dorset Boy

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somerset have decided to chase WI Paceman Nixon McLean as their second overseas player for 2003 in county cricket.
My question is simply how good is Nixon MCLean?

[Edited on 3/10/02 by Neil Pickup]

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Nixon Mclean...my impression of him:

Can be very very penerative when his is fired up and bowling fast just short of a length off stump line, used to be generally looked at as being the best of the young crop of WI bowlers before the Australian tour where he struggled but for two glourious spells in the One dayers against Australia and Zimbabwe when he bowled faster...had a magnificent season overseas in SA where he took around 40 wkts in 18 matches and was both economical and very effective, also had a good Red stripe bowl lately...probably seems to be back on the way up after being dropped out of the WI side on basis of poor preformance, all the best to him because he certainly deserves it.
P.S: he isn't one of the young crop anymore now.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Welcome to the Forum John!

Keep the capitals out of the posts though, please ;)..

Not a particularly inspirational move by the looks of things. Young players are what need, not past-its. And we have enough quick bowlers as things stand. Sign a decent young spinner. Or Afridi...

[Edited on 30/9/02 by Neil Pickup]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
He could well be effective in county cricket, but he seems to be lacking that certain something now at the highest level.

What's the word I'm looking for?

Class, that's it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Another year? Somerset were only relegated this season! And finished 2nd last year...they are a good team they'll be back!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
Another year? Somerset were only relegated this season! And finished 2nd last year...they are a good team they'll be back!
I wouldn't necessarily bet on that happening.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Considering our Chairman seems to be about as clued-in as Len Shackleton believed football directors were..

Gotta Keep Hoping :(

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt Bulbeck

In reply to an earlier question about Bulbeck, he's returned to the form we expect of him. I interviewed him in 99 after he's got 50-odd wickets where there was talk of England then he broke his back and was out for the season. Wasn't me.....
He got 50 Championship wickets and will be useful back-up to McLean and Johnson. I think our bowling should be pretty handy at least.
:ninja:

nehrafan

Banned
eeeK

What a muddy bowler he was, man he was wayward, never upto the mark, he will never make it to the International level.

Why doesn't the English counties signs talented bowlers like Zaheer Khan,Ashish Nehra and Tinu Yohannan who are even playing cricket at International level? these guys can do wonders at the county level!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Who's the muddy bowler?

And as for calling those 3 talented - are you joking?

Nehra average - 39.12
Khan average - 40.24
Yohannan average - 53.25

Why would any county touch them with a barge pole?

Also all young bowlers. McLean is experienced and can lead an attack if necessary, I wouldn't want any of them leading my counties attack!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmm Bulbeck is talented but needs to tighten up on his run rate like most young pacemen, yes he got 50 wickets but a little expensively and was left out a few times. Paul Hutchison who is a very impressive Leftie went to Sussex this season and ended up with 6 wickets for 398 runs at an average of 64.83 with a run rate of 4.92. Still he averages an impressive 24 runs per wicket over his career so there is some hope!

[Edited on 5/10/2002 by Rik]

nehrafan

Banned
Originally posted by marc71178
Who's the muddy bowler?

And as for calling those 3 talented - are you joking?

Nehra average - 39.12
Khan average - 40.24
Yohannan average - 53.25

Why would any county touch them with a barge pole?

Also all young bowlers. McLean is experienced and can lead an attack if necessary, I wouldn't want any of them leading my counties attack!
If so then why isn't he leading WI attack?? WI have hardly any class or even QUALITY pacers STILL McLean isn't in the team.
AS for Averages , ever looked at McLeans ave, he averages 43 in test!!! Now isn't 39 and 40 better than 43?? or are u clueless about numbers?
In onedayers McLeans ave is 37...OOPs don't even think of comparing it with Khan or Nehra.

As for Yohannan, the guy has played just 2 tests, only a fool would judge a player by his performance in 2 matches!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes but only a fool would sign a young pace bowler who averages 40 odd in tests to lead his county attack, McLean has an impressive FC record behind him, Nehra and Yohannan don't have the experiance. Khan is impressive but was still caned around English grounds by Tresco and Vaughan so I doubt that would move an English county chairman to sign any of them!:bird:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
In a recent tour match between the WIndies and India Board XI Yohannan's figures in WIndies 1st innings...26-2-103-0, he evedently needs to do a lot of work yet...:lol:

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Nixon McLean is not a bad bowler in fact he was looked at as being the one to take up after Ambrose before the WI tour to AUS, he isn't very talented but he sure is a hard dedicated worker...(well mostly anyway.:D)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nixon McLean may well not be a top-notch bowler, but there's not much doubt that he will take wickets in the County Championship - and that's the bottom line as far as Somerset are concerned.