• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somerset Sign Nixon McLean for 2003

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
And in reply to your questioning weather Nitini is picked to open the bowling with Pollock because of his colour...the guy averages 30 in FC cricket and 37 in tests...thats hardly impressive! But then...its not much less than Zaheer is it...:P

There are many more impressive bowlers in SA, Terbrugge, Pretorious and Telemachus to name but a few, I think they deserve a test place a lot more than Nitini does.

[Edited on 17/10/2002 by Rik]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
First of all Tinu has been dropped from the Squad coz India are playing on home pitches
Which would explain why his only appearances so far have been at home wouldn't it!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
[/quote]
If you consider these as poor then i don't know what you consider as good. I said he will not be picked because since he has been dropped he will now be picked on the basis of his performances which i think will not improve and there are also other good bowlers coming up such as Irfan and balaji. [/quote]

What was the need for providing all the stats? When did i ever claimed that W's weren't good bowlers, infact i said they were great, wo prove hat were u trying to prove really???

The point that u CAN"T get is simple.

Waseem Akram had a very POOR record b/f he played his first test.The guy had such a poor domestic record that the selectors didn't even bother to include him even as a reserve for the test series.It was Javed Miandad that saw Waseem in action and immidiatelt asked the selectors to include the youngster coz javed knew that the guy had talent and can be groomed .

It was the same story in the Waqar's case.Waqar NEVER had an impressive domestic record.Imran khan saw Waqar in action in a match against Madan lal led Indian side, Waqar was getting thrashed in that match.Imran immidiately had Waqar in the team as he knew that the guy had tremendous potential.

By providing their career long stats u have tried to create an impression that they had impressive figures from the very beginning which is misleading.

Again, i'm NOT comparing W's with Yohannan, just reminding u that poor domestic record doess't mean that the guy have no talent.

Irfan Pathan has talent but is still raw.Tinu will be back in the team coz Ganguly regards him highly, besides Tinu haven't played much to be dismissed as a failure

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by marc71178
First of all Tinu has been dropped from the Squad coz India are playing on home pitches
Which would explain why his only appearances so far have been at home wouldn't it!
Yeah but that was against ENGLAND side, it was an excellent opportunity to field uncapped player against a side like England:D After all one doesn't get much opportunities like that.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh and Nitini only takes the new ball because the South African side no longer has Donald, Ngam is injured and they usually play Pollock, Kallis and a spinner. Pollock is an opening bowler, Kallis has enough on his plate without having to open the bowling too and very few spinners take the new ball...if your gonna pick a guy because of his colour if hes a seam bowler and only one of the bowlers can really open the bowling (Kallis bats a long time usually which takes it out of him, and spinners don't use the new ball), then your gonna get him to open the bowling even if he's no good at it won't you? It's not as if they can replace the batsmen...I mean Gibbs is classed as coloured and he opens, Adams is a spinner but injured, Prince is a middle order batsman. If you take Nitini out the only other positions needing to be filled by a coloured player is Wicket Keeper and Seam Bowler, and since Boucher has made the wicket keeping role his own...they pick Nitini. They may have abolished quotas in the domestic game but I still feel there is a strong politicial influence in the make-up of the SA team...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Hehe Rik champion of the longest posts. Atleast one record on my name.:lol: Its impossible to convince warrioryohannan.
True to his name champion of the warriors:lol:. And ur last post must have really fired up some people especially marcs. :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Its my opinion and I'll stick by it...anyway there have been longer posts :P

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by vishnureddy
Hehe Rik champion of the longest posts. Atleast one record on my name.:lol: Its impossible to convince warrioryohannan.
True to his name champion of the warriors:lol:. And ur last post must have really fired up some people especially marcs. :lol:
Convince what dear?? U came up with all those stats to support what?? That those were great bowlers? Nobody was questioning the ability of W's in the first place.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by Rik
Oh and Nitini only takes the new ball because the South African side no longer has Donald, Ngam is injured and they usually play Pollock, Kallis and a spinner. Pollock is an opening bowler, Kallis has enough on his plate without having to open the bowling too and very few spinners take the new ball...if your gonna pick a guy because of his colour if hes a seam bowler and only one of the bowlers can really open the bowling (Kallis bats a long time usually which takes it out of him, and spinners don't use the new ball), then your gonna get him to open the bowling even if he's no good at it won't you? It's not as if they can replace the batsmen...I mean Gibbs is classed as coloured and he opens, Adams is a spinner but injured, Prince is a middle order batsman. If you take Nitini out the only other positions needing to be filled by a coloured player is Wicket Keeper and Seam Bowler, and since Boucher has made the wicket keeping role his own...they pick Nitini. They may have abolished quotas in the domestic game but I still feel there is a strong politicial influence in the make-up of the SA team...
That all crap. Ofcourse Donald is retired, but Proteas are not short of good bowlers ,Ntini is a good bowler, Proteas plays their cricket hard, they aren't gonna open their bowling with a pathetic bowler just coz he's colored.Ur so called great prospect "telemachus" have done poorly in onedayers.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I reccon he could easily take wickets cheaper than Nitini's 37 runs per wickets in tests...anyway I never said they were "great", please look at what I wrote and use it, I said deserving...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The point that u CAN"T get is simple.

Waseem Akram had a very POOR record b/f he played his first test.The guy had such a poor domestic record that the selectors didn't even bother to include him even as a reserve for the test series.
He was called up after about 2 or 3 FC matches - not enough time to say he was good or bad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by warrioryohannan
Originally posted by marc71178
Yeah but that was against ENGLAND side, it was an excellent opportunity to field uncapped player against a side like England:D After all one doesn't get much opportunities like that.
So why did he not play the third Test as well then? And why didn't he play in the West indies or in England - those piches are more helpful to seam bowlers (and you can't blame Srinath here as he was on sabbatical for the England tour!)

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by Rik
Well I reccon he could easily take wickets cheaper than Nitini's 37 runs per wickets in tests...anyway I never said they were "great", please look at what I wrote and use it, I said deserving...

Well if its all about going in the match with a black cricketer, then Telemachus is black too, and if he's that better than why the hell Proteas aren't selecting him??

I am not a big Fan of Ntini, but i won't say he's crap either, he has talent and he can improve.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
.[/quote]

He was called up after about 2 or 3 FC matches - not enough time to say he was good or bad. [/quote]

Thats totally incorrect.Akram played matches at second division and then at first division .Thoughout that period his performance was poor.
And what about Waqar? its an open fact that Waqar had a horrible domestic record before the test matches!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
[/quote]

So why did he not play the third Test as well then? And why didn't he play in the West indies or in England - those piches are more helpful to seam bowlers (and you can't blame Srinath here as he was on sabbatical for the England tour!) [/quote]

First of all, India mostly goes into a match with 2 pacers.On the England tour, Ajit was preferred over Tinu on the reason that Ajit had experiance of playing in England.Ajit came with a ton in a match and Ganguly made a mistake of retaining Ajit till the very end inspite of his poor bowling.In the WI tour, Khan and Nehra were in very good form and it would have been stupid to have dropped one of them for Tinu.The only guy that was offcolor was Nath, but dropping someone like Nath is a tuff decision to make!

V Reddy

International Debutant
but did Yohannan warrant a place instead of Ajit. His performance in the natwest series and the county matches was awful. Now Sourav doesn't have confidence in him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

He was called up after about 2 or 3 FC matches - not enough time to say he was good or bad. [/quote]

Thats totally incorrect.Akram played matches at second division and then at first division .Thoughout that period his performance was poor.[/quote]

His first class career started in 1984/85.

He made his Test debut on 25th January 1985.

Now that didn't leave him a long time to play much FC cricket before being pushed into the International arena - and certainly not a long time to judge him as a poor player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So why did he not play the third Test as well then? And why didn't he play in the West indies or in England - those piches are more helpful to seam bowlers (and you can't blame Srinath here as he was on sabbatical for the England tour!) [/quote]

First of all, India mostly goes into a match with 2 pacers.[/quote]

They played with 3 twice in that series, and despite the very poor effort in the first Test from the seamers, they were all retained!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
.[/quote]

His first class career started in 1984/85.

He made his Test debut on 25th January 1985.

Now that didn't leave him a long time to play much FC cricket before being pushed into the International arena - and certainly not a long time to judge him as a poor player. [/quote]

Not sure about the dates, i read an interview of miandad in which he claimed that Akram played domestic cricket for a considerable amount of time and yet he went unnoticed by the then paid selectors!!

However Waqar certainly did play domestic cricket for a longer period and never fared well, and had Imran asked the selectors to have Waqar selected in the team, Waqar would never had made it the international level.

Sami and Zahid are other examples, not great by any sense, but the talented pacers have a poor domestic record.

And if someone wanna know who was doing extremely well in domestic cricket in India,then one of them happened to be Sanjar Bangar!! He isn't a penetrative bowler but his domestic record suggest otherwise!!