• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somerset Sign Nixon McLean for 2003

nehrafan

Banned
Originally posted by marc71178
He is earning himself money by playing in SA, so is unavailable for Test Matches.

Nope thats totally incorrect, even when he wasn't playing in SA , he still wasn't in the team.

nehrafan

Banned
Originally posted by Rik
In a recent tour match between the WIndies and India Board XI Yohannan's figures in WIndies 1st innings...26-2-103-0, he evedently needs to do a lot of work yet...:lol:
Thats funny, so do u judge a bowler by one or two performance? I can provide u a whole series performance of TOP PACERS like McGrath,Lee and others which were a real embaressment!

Waqar Younis struggled during his initial few test matches, infact he went for sixes in his first International match against an Indian team, and remained wktless.Had u been the Pak selector, Waqar would probably have been working in the laundary rather than leading his side:frog:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He is earning himself money by playing in SA, so is unavailable for Test Matches.

Nope thats totally incorrect, even when he wasn't playing in SA , he still wasn't in the team. [/quote]

No, that is true now - I never mentioned the past!

nehrafan

Banned
No, that is true now - I never mentioned the past! [/quote]

LOL! Whether u mentioned the past or not it doesn't matter, he wasn't considered for selection when he wasn't away from WI and now that he is playing in SA what makes u think he would have got a call from the selectors??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Actually you are wrong - he played in the SA series in March 2001 and from 2001/02 moved to South Africa - looks to me like he WAS in the team before he moved - having played 9 consecutive Tests.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
One performance? Are you kidding? I've seen Yohannan bowl several times and also I've looked up his performances and the only impressive performance has been 3-33 in a ODI. No I find it funny how you can defend someone who goes for those sorta figures and still claim he is one of your up and coming pacers and should be playing County Cricket...:lol:

Oh and the difference between McGrath, Gillespie, Waqar and Yohannon is that ok they have all suffered bashings but McGrath, Gillespie and Waqar have turned in a lot of impressive performances as well while Yohannan just keeps getting wacked.

[Edited on 8/10/2002 by Rik]

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well would you pick someone for your county when his test average is 53 and he's just gone for 103 without picking up a wicket in a warm up game?

Ahhh the value of a good argument! Now if I could suggest Mumbi take on Jones or Harmison as their overseas player...:lol:

nehrafan

Banned
]Originally posted by marc71178
Actually you are wrong - he played in the SA series in March 2001 and from 2001/02 moved to South Africa - looks to me like he WAS in the team before he moved - having played 9 consecutive Tests. [/quote]

U are again wrong.Mclean was DROPPED from the team BEFORE he moved to SA.Yes he played in 9 matches in which he didn't fared well, that was the reason as to why he was dropped.It's just like in the case of Kambli, he is playing in SA but the reason why he isn't in the team is not coz he's unavailable!

[/quote]
I notice Nehrafan's gone rather quiet! [/quote]

I have things to do buddy, have to earn a living, understand??

nehrafan

Banned
Originally posted by Rik
One performance? Are you kidding? I've seen Yohannan bowl several times and also I've looked up his performances and the only impressive performance has been 3-33 in a ODI. No I find it funny how you can defend someone who goes for those sorta figures and still claim he is one of your up and coming pacers and should be playing County Cricket...:lol:
U fool, i never said ONE performance i said he has plyed in just two test matches.IF u know anything about cricket, then u will agree that a bowler can't be judge by his performance in just two matches.
And don't start with all the onedayer crap, i'm talking about TEST matches, thats the format of the game thats count.

[/quote]
Oh and the difference between McGrath, Gillespie, Waqar and Yohannon is that ok they have all suffered bashings but McGrath, Gillespie and Waqar have turned in a lot of impressive performances as well while Yohannan just keeps getting wacked.[/quote]

Again u showed how dumb u are, all those bowler did show how great they are only after they got the opportunity to show that.Waqar came up with a good performance in his 7 test match.S Akhter got just 3 wkts in his first two matches!
Yohannan just haven't got enough chances to show his worth!

-----------------------------------------
Originally posted by Neil Pickup

That's still not enough. 20+ ODIs are needed and 10+ Tests at minimum to get a true picture of Success.

I surely do agree with Neil

:D

[Edited on 9/10/2002 by nehrafan]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
U are again wrong.Mclean was DROPPED from the team BEFORE he moved to SA.
He missed 3 games, and that was enough to tell him he'd never have a chance again? If his last performances were so bad, how come he finished up playing in SA, yet was taken on by a SA team - must have shown some ability or they wouldn't have touched him!

Money is low for the none star players in the WI, so he decided to look for it elsewhere, and therefore is unavailable for WI.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Your claiming I have no clue about cricket? Yohannan will never play 10 test matches! Remember you claimed the English counties should pick all India's young fast bowlers? All who have averages above or just below 40 runs per wicket in tests? And you still claim I have no clue about cricket? If India had any better bowlers then they could have let Srinath retire happily and I doubt Yohannan or Nehra would be anywhere near the test squad. :P

Don't tell me that I know nothing about cricket, you are judging me from what I have said on a messanging board, the only way you can really judge a person is from meeting them in real life so I would prefer it if you didn't make straight out attacks on my intelligence, knowledge or qualities as a person just because I said that several of India's young bowlers need working on, I happily admit Harmison and Jones need to improve before they become fixtures in England's cricket team...and this is coming from an American who lives in England!!! :lol:

Lets keep this non-personal please! I can't be arsed to argue with someone about something so petty.

Oh and by the way if I didn't know anything about cricket then how would I know Yohannan averages 53 in tests? He doesn't seem to have that "Something about him" like Waqar and Shoaib and Wasim had about them from the beginning.

[Edited on 9/10/2002 by Rik]

nehrafan

Banned
Originally posted by Rik
Your claiming I have no clue about cricket? Yohannan will never play 10 test matches! Remember you claimed the English counties should pick all India's young fast bowlers? All who have averages above or just below 40 runs per wicket in tests? And you still claim I have no clue about cricket? If India had any better bowlers then they could have let Srinath retire happily and I doubt Yohannan or Nehra would be anywhere near the test squad. :P
First of all i never said that English county should play all Indian pacers, i just said that they would bebetter off if they choose one of them instead of McNeil!

About their 40 average, i have already answered the qs, McNeil's ave is 43, 40 is better than 43, i am saddened to learn that u don't know that!

England have recalled Gough even though he had three surgical operations and had a long lay off.Does it mean that England doesn't have quality seamers?
Nath retired from test match YET wants to play in onedayers, Indian think tank have did well to ask him to play test matches too, U need atleast ONE experiance pacer in ur ranks.

Don't tell me that I know nothing about cricket, you are judging me from what I have said on a messanging board, the only way you can really judge a person is from meeting them real life so I would prefer it if you didn't make straight out attacks on my intelligence, knowledge or qualities as a person just because I said that several of India's young bowlers need working on, I happily admit Harmison and Jones need to improve before they become fixtures in England's cricket team...and this is coming from an American who lives in England!!! :lol:

Lets keep this non-personal please! I can't be arsed to argue with someone about something so petty.

Oh and by the way if I didn't know anything about cricket then how would I know Yohannan averages 53 in tests? He doesn't seem to have that "Something about him" like Waqar and Shoaib and Wasim had about them from the beginning.
Knowing stats and averages is not everything, thats is what u don't know, i never wanted to insult u in the first place but u can't argue against the fact that a bowler cannpt be judge from 2 test matches.
I never said Youhannan will turn out to be as great as Waqar/Akhter, just gave their example to remind u that its foolish to write someone off without giving him a proper run.

And yes, Yohannan will play more than ten test matches, u will see that buddy

nehrafan

Banned
[/quote]

He missed 3 games, and that was enough to tell him he'd never have a chance ag? If his last performances were so bad, how come he finished up playing in SA, yet was taken on by a SA team - must have shown some ability or they wouldn't have touched him!

Money is low for the none star players in the WI, so he decided to look for it elsewhere, and therefore is unavailable for WI. [/quote]

U gotta be kidding, noone gives up test cricket just for the sake of money.McLean was dropped on the basis of his poor performance and the Windies selectors were clearly unimpressed, that is a fact, his non availabilty was never the factor.
Mohd Waseem is also playing for SA team, he has been a failure at test level, just coz he playing in SA doesn't mean he's great!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I do know that McLean averages 40 odd with the ball, I never said he didn't! Well if India are that desperate for pace bowlers then I suppose they will have to play him!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
U gotta be kidding, noone gives up test cricket just for the sake of money.McLean was dropped on the basis of his poor performance and the Windies selectors were clearly unimpressed, that is a fact, his non availabilty was never the factor.
Neil Johnson and Murray Goodwin - those names mean anything to you?

nehrafan

Banned
Originally posted by Rik
I do know that McLean averages 40 odd with the ball, I never said he didn't! Well if India are that desperate for pace bowlers then I suppose they will have to play him!
The point was that since u have been prasing Mclean like hell whose average is worse than Khan and Nehra, then how the hell can u critisize Indian bowlers on the basis of their average???

nehrafan

Banned
Neil Johnson and Murray Goodwin - those names mean anything to you?

U could have even provided me names of cric like Croft and a few others who played for SA yrs back.However, those few examples are of acomplished cricketers, who have been match winners.WI selectors are on record dropping McLean b/f he set out for SA just like Mohd Waseem.
One can't deny the fact that he was a failure.

Nixon had pace, but was wayward.I remember Holding comming up with tall claims about McLean just before Nixon made his debut in a test match against Eng, but Nixon was a BIG dissapointment.The way the Windies pundits were talking about Nixon at that time , it looked like they had found someone like Marshall, but that wasn't the case.
There is a new Fast bowler in WI team, forgot his name, is from Jamaica, Walsh believe that he will be a force to reckon with in future!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by nehrafan
Originally posted by Rik
The point was that since u have been prasing Mclean like hell whose average is worse than Khan and Nehra, then how the hell can u critisize Indian bowlers on the basis of their average???
He has the experience of a multitude of conditions, and is a reasonably good bowler because of that. Khan and Nehra do not.