Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: China Embrace Cricket!

China Embrace Cricket!

By Mary-Anne Toy Herald Correspondent in Beijing
    March 4, 2006

CRICKET is not a sport one normally associates with China, but the world's most populous nation has embarked on an ambitious plan to change that.
    China's sporting mandarins have dubbed it "the noble game", and with communist single-mindedness have plotted a five-year plan to become a cricketing nation.
    The Asian Cricket Council's media officer, Shahriar Khan, said China's interest in cricket was simple. It realised that the biggest game in Asia is cricket - a game that China's major rival in the region, India, happens to be rather good at. With China increasingly making its presence felt in the region, learning to play cricket makes good sense.
    "China very much wants to engage with Asia via this game - they've seen Sri Lanka, a tiny country of 20 million winning a World Cup, and with 1.3 billion people are thinking: surely, surely we can win this as well," Mr Khan said.
    This month, 30 of the country's leading physical education teachers and coaches from sports such as baseball, softball and table tennis were accredited as China's first cricket umpires and coaches. They have been instructed to go back to their schools and universities and start spreading the word.
    By 2009, according to the five-year plan, there will be at least 720 teams across the country in a highly organised system designed to channel promising youngsters from primary schools into the top secondary schools and then China's elite universities.
    The aim is to qualify for the 2019 World Cup, and to ultimately beat its rising economic rival India in a Test.
    This might seem far-fetched for a country that does not have even one cricket pitch yet, where the game is not shown on TV and where cricket is the almost exclusive domain of expats in Beijing and Shanghai.
    China's cricketing association admits there are probably only 100 cricketers in China - including foreigners. The game has been introduced to just eight schools. But never underestimate the Chinese, especially when national pride and politics is at stake.
    China quietly began turning itself into a cricketing nation two years ago. It joined the International Cricket Council as an affiliate, engaged Cricket Australia as a consultant and hired the former Sri Lankan Test player Rumesh Ratnayake as head coach.
    Last September Cricket Australia ran its first six-day training camp in Beijing. Led by the Asian project leader, Ross Turner, the Australians gave a crash course to sport coaches and 50 Beijing primary schoolchildren. A second camp was held this year.
    For the ICC, the experiment is fascinating because, although a cricket game was recorded in 1858 in Shanghai, the Chinese have no colonial baggage or grudges. "To them it's just a bat and ball game, so it's a very pure experiment. It's not about social graces or elitism," Mr Khan said.

International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    Be cool if China play in the future
    peersonally i would love it
    Maria - Due December

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    No Brad Hogg jokes.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

I would not want the current Chinese regime getting anywhere near world cricket.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

A communist Cricket team? At least there wouldn't be any disciplinary issues...
    Q: What's your favourite animal?
    Steve Waugh: Merv Hughes.

Fred Trueman:

That was a tremendous six, the ball was still in the air as it went over the boundary.
    That's what cricket is all about. Two batsmen pitting their wits against one another.
    Anyone foolish enough to predict the outcome of this match is a fool.
    Unless something happens that we can't predict, I don't think a lot will happen.

Ian Blackwell: It's just understanding foods and what to eat at certain times.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Chinese cricket would be a hoot, it in a nation of about 1.5 billion
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    I would not want the current Chinese regime getting anywhere near world cricket.
    Could it be any worse than the ICC?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I think its fantastic that China is makinga huge effort to become competitive in cricket, with their huge population it would be a massive boost for the game of cricket as a whole
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Old news.
    Matthew Engel mentioned this 2 years ago.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I think it would be great if China were to join the cricket community. Their huge poppulation and the subsequent money/interest their entry will pump bring in has to be a positive.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The Chinese government is helping build stadia for the 2007 World Cup. Go them.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Pinball Champion!
    Wow, sounds awesome, good luck to them.. I guess when you have 1.3 billion people you can do most things!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

cpr

Aye we dont want to tarnish Crickets international reputation.

Thats Zimbabwe's job.

Personally think its a good thing. More people playing cricket, watching cricket, enjoying cricket, surely must bring more positives than it does negatives.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Pah. China's hardly communist any more. It's not as if they've done anything bad to soccer or baseball (alright, the swimming thing wasn't good).
    In terms of cricket, it'd be one of the best things for the sport, having so many people play it. And I'd just love it from a personal point of view, too, having lived there and played in the first league there. The problem is, it does need to start being broadcast on TV, because people just have no idea what it is. We'd be playing games and passerbys would stop for up to ten minutes to watch what was going on. Even during the Sixes when it was free entry to the ground and we had ex-international players, we didn't really have any local Chinese coming in. In fact, the only locals we had playing were in the woman's team, who were mainly brought in by single expat men.

However, as Richard said, there has been things like this said for a long time, and there wouldn't even be a national team, unless you count the Shanghai club team.
    Last edited by andyc; 03-03-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Pah. China's hardly communist any more. It's not as if they've done anything bad to soccer or baseball (alright, the swimming thing wasn't good).
    In terms of cricket, it'd be one of the best things for the sport, having so many people play it. And I'd just love it from a personal point of view, too, having lived there and played in the first league there. The problem is, it does need to start being broadcast on TV, because people just have no idea what it is. We'd be playing games and passerbys would stop for up to ten minutes to watch what was going on. Even during the Sixes when it was free entry to the ground and we had ex-international players, we didn't really have any local Chinese coming in. In fact, the only locals we had playing were in the woman's team, who were mainly brought in by single expat men.

However, as Richard said, there has been things like this said for a long time, and there wouldn't even be a national team, unless you count the Shanghai club team.
    True. Bit ambitious about the aiminig for 2019 world cup, though i guess its possible with their population and resources available. Would be great for the game of cricket if they did well.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information