• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Sri Lanka

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TT Boy said:
You gotta love some of the Indian supporters on this forum, I know there is a certain amount of animosity between the two nations but can’t you ever speak rationally when discussing Pakistan, instead of venting the same dim-witted rhetoric all the time.

Case points- Marvin Atapattu will tear apart the Pakistani bowling attack because he is such a destructive batsman, give me a break, he might score some runs but he doesn’t rip bowling attacks apart (also his average against Pakistan is 31, rip roaring stuff).

Pakistan will struggle against Vaas, who averages 58 with the ball against Pakistan in Sri Lanka, whilst Murali averages 29.
Mate you really picked the wrong guy when you decided to stereotype an Indian poster as a "Pakistani hater". Really, Sanz is far from that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Mate you really picked the wrong guy when you decided to stereotype an Indian poster as a "Pakistani hater". Really, Sanz is far from that.
Apologises Sanz for my comment, its just that your observation came across in same sort of manner as a post written by Nehra fan. Its fine to suggest Vaas or Murali would do well its just the way it which it was said. No hard feelings man.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Getting back to the cricket, Pakistan have announced the players who will be attending the conditioning camp.

From Cricinfo.com

Players - Inzamam-ul-Haq, Younis Khan, Salman Butt, Imran Farhat, Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Malik, Faisal Iqbal, Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi, Kamran Akmal, Danish Kaneria, Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Mohammad Sami, Rao Iftikhar, Bazid Khan, Rafatullah Mohmand, Mohammad Irshad, Abdur Rahman, Tahir Khan, Sarfraz Ahmed, Arshad Khan, Asim Kamal, Anwar Ali, Jamshed Ahmed, Akhtar Ayub

Good to see some of the U19 guys in there.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Yes and the current Pakistani team is same as that of 90s and early 2000s that toured Sri Lanka, isn't it ? Murali averages 29 because his figures includes pre-1996 test matches when he was ordinary.Murali's bowling against Pakistan @ home is :- 165, 27, 16, 20, 26, 16. IMO those figures tell the story about Murali's impressive performance against Pak (except his first series he played 12 years ago when he was crap) and I have no reason to believe otherwise. You may have a point about Vaas but I rate Vaas very highly and IMO the current Pakistani batsmen will struggle against him.

I rate this current Pakistan team more than the team of the mid to late 90s, even with Wasim and Waqar, Pakistan were woefully inconsistent and there was always the question attached of the liking to chuck games. At least now in test matches Pakistan have developed a consistent streak they don‘t flatter to deceive anymore, instead of dominating for a day or two then folding like a pack of cards there actually win games.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Apologises Sanz for my comment, its just that your observation came across in same sort of manner as a post written by Nehra fan. Its fine to suggest Vaas or Murali would do well its just the way it which it was said. No hard feelings man.
No Problems. You do have a point and I hope in future I can express myself better.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
I rate this current Pakistan team more than the team of the mid to late 90s, even with Wasim and Waqar, Pakistan were woefully inconsistent and there was always the question attached of the liking to chuck games. At least now in test matches Pakistan have developed a consistent streak they don‘t flatter to deceive anymore, instead of dominating for a day or two then folding like a pack of cards there actually win games.
I dont rate the current team as better than the team of 90s, this whole fixing things is blown out of proportion. The more I watch this pakistani team the more I think they are looking like India of 90s, good at home poor abroad, poor fast bowlers(minus Akhtar), good spin bowlers , poor/unstable openers and good middle order.

I think this team will struggle outside Pak but continue to have success at home.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I dont rate the current team as better than the team of 90s, this whole fixing things is blown out of proportion. The more I watch this pakistani team the more I think they are looking like India of 90s, good at home poor abroad, poor fast bowlers(minus Akhtar), good spin bowlers , poor/unstable openers and good middle order.

I think this team will struggle outside Pak but continue to have success at home.
I think Pakistan do have good strength in depth in regards to the bowling department, the batting is a bit iffy if the conditions are right for swing, as seen by what Pathan did in the last test match and Butt, Farhat and Afridi will always struggle in those sort of conditions.

Sri Lanka will be a good test to see if your opinion is right though I do have a feeling that Pakistan will be competitive against any nation anywhere at the moment because there are not one trick ponies (India and Sri Lanka in the 90s were with there dust bowls) and playing abroad in better bowling conditions will only help players like Asif, Naved and Kaneria instead of the usual roads they play on in Pakistan.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Sanz said:

On which series' have you based your opinions? Because in India they looked very good, West Indies was a reasonably good tour considering they wre without Shoaib Akhtar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
On which series' have you based your opinions? Because in India they looked very good, West Indies was a reasonably good tour considering they wre without Shoaib Akhtar.
West Indies, Australia both. Despite looking very good they didn't win the series in India, Pakistan team of 90s did (well if you include the ATC test in Kolkata).

Pakistan team of 90s would have easily won the test series against this WI team.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Sanz said:
West Indies, Australia both. Despite looking very good they didn't win the series in India, Pakistan team of 90s did (well if you include the ATC test in Kolkata).

Pakistan team of 90s would have easily won the test series against this WI team.
Or collapsed badly.

That was the problem with the 90's pakistan team far too erratic.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Autobahn said:
Or collapsed badly.

That was the problem with the 90's pakistan team far too erratic.
I agree. The 90's team IMO had more talent, but was far too erratic. It's a shame that team didn't dominate the world like it could have. I'd rather take this team, which may not have two of the greatest fast bowlers who ever played, or the more talented batsmen. However, they are (mostly) consistent and certainly have the better "team" concept.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
I agree. The 90's team IMO had more talent, but was far too erratic. It's a shame that team didn't dominate the world like it could have. I'd rather take this team, which may not have two of the greatest fast bowlers who ever played, or the more talented batsmen. However, they are (mostly) consistent and certainly have the better "team" concept.
Better Team Concept ?? Only two series so far, that too Pakistan has won both the series. A team's true character is known when the going gets tough that is when the team isn't doing so well and we know what happened, few examples :-

1. Inzi's feud with Shoaib after India loss
2. Fight in West Indies
3. Rape accusation in Australia.

Anyway, as I said a teams real character comes out at bad times and we have seen how good the team character was, 90s team won one world cup, made it to the finals of another and QF of the 3rd wc, let's see if current team can achieve any of that.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan 2-0 Tests, Pakistan 3-0 ODIs, i like to say different, but i think this might be a long series for us.

chaminda_00 said:
Pakistan 2-0 Tests, Pakistan 3-0 ODIs, i like to say different, but i think this might be a long series for us.
Nah, i would say 2-0 to Lanka in tests and 2-1 to Lanka in ODI.

Don't think any team will win OD series 3-0, unless Pak play crap cricket they are unlikely to lose all the matches!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Beleg said:
Predictions: Test 1-0 Pakistan, ODI's 2-1 Pakistan
You must be joking !!

This is SL's first home series after a severe pounding away from home in India/NZ and to a lesser extent by the Aussies and if SL mess it against Pakistan there will be wholesome changes and definite sacking of Moody without any further hesitation .

SL's embattled batsman must be waiting for an opportunity to get into winning ways in a long awaited home series.

I predict 2-0 Test series win to my beloved Sri Lanka in Tests and a 3-0 whitewash in ODI's too .
Anything less should be considered a failure by SL , since this series is at home.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
I completely disagree with this prediction. :-O

This series is at home and anything short of a complete whitewash should be considered an absolute failure by SL who have lost heavily on the road (away from home).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
lionheart said:
- the test series will end in a draw.
- sl will win the odi
I beg to differ.

SL to win Test series 2-0 and ODI 3-0 in a complete whitewash at home.