• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting comments from Mark Richardson...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd have to agree with you there zinzan, I think it will be very interesting to hear what Mark Richardson has to say because I beleive he was a very capable player and now has turned into quite an interesting commentator to listen to. Another in the long list of good sporting books hopefully.

Ming

State 12th Man
I agree. Richardson is a pathetic commentator. He gets lost most of the time, and when Ramdin walked to the crease, he said, "he's not known for his batting at all, so it's all a suprise". Come on, he played a couple of useful knocks against Australia, and is an exciting keeper-bat on the rise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know much about Richardson's history but my thoughts on New Zealand 1999\2000-2003\04 are well-known.
No amount of good captaincy \ good teamwork can cause rain, flat pitches and abandoned Test-matches... NZ got lucky many times in that period - very lucky indeed.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I don't know much about Richardson's history but my thoughts on New Zealand 1999\2000-2003\04 are well-known.
No amount of good captaincy \ good teamwork can cause rain, flat pitches and abandoned Test-matches... NZ got lucky many times in that period - very lucky indeed.
I will never forgive umpire Robinson for bending us over like that in Perth. Sure, we didn't deserve to win that series, but we well could have. Warne = out on 81 in the first innings. Waugh and Gillespie were out in the second. Oh that test gets me going!

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
NZ commentary in general is pretty poor. Coney isn't too bad though, especially his pitch reports.
Yeah. His Lord of the Rings ones a couple of years ago were superb. Would love a transcript.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Martin Crowe left the commentary team for family reasons I believe. He also gave up his post at Sky TV.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Am I the only one who likes NZ commentary? Its some the most honest in the world. When the team fails they tell us. When they should have they tell us.

Unlike the Australian rubbish I am forced to listen to. Which is just who can kiss as much aussie *** as they can.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I like the NZ commentary team. Except for Danny Morrison (only an occasional, thank God) and Gavin Larsen. Gav has good thoughts (as seen in his column on the National Bank website) - it's just his voice that irrirates me no end. The same scenario as Ian Jones in the rugby.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I like the commentary team they have now. I like Smith, Coney, Richardson, Cairns. Shoot Danny...

I like the West Indian dude too. What a legend. It must be what it's like for Smithy when we tour Australia. Loss after loss.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Back to the interesting comments from Mark Richardson...

Finally interesting to see a player confirm whath the public thought all along - that Fleming "struggled to adapt to the new management structure put in place when John Bracewell took over as coach". No matter how much it was denied by the key players at the time, we all knew something was up...

sportychic33

State 12th Man
i think mark richardson has some good thoughts on cricket when he gets going but the way he communicates it seems like he is reading off an auto card.
really looking foward to mark richardson's book as i believe that it will contain more psychological depth in the change from a spinner to an opening batsmen, rather than trumpet blowing or just random quoting i.e. stephen flemings book.
anyone know the exact date of richardson's book launch?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Our commentary team in general isn't that flash, I agree and I usually look forward to the Chappell-Hadlee series when Michael Slater comes over and commentates with our team. Jeremy Coney is extremely interesting to listen to, while Mark Richardson and Danny Morrison have good thoughts. Chris Cairns has shown that he can become a very capable commentator while Grant Nisbett I think needs to stick to rugby. Ian Smith is well apparently well respected but I do not like him.

I'm also looking forward to the change in Richardson's mentally when he changes from an off-spin bowler to an openeing batsmen, should be very enlightening.

Craig

World Traveller
Blaze said:
Our commentary team is terrible. Bring back Martin Crowe...
And once a upon a time on this site I kept reading that Martin Crowe was terrible and now you lot want him back?

*Shruges*