• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Opener ?

Wasimullah

Cricket Spectator
Who do you think the best test opener is at the moment ?

I would rank the top four as Sehwag, Hayden, Tresco, Langer in that order.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden may have pounded a West Indian attack and scored a few runs against South Africa, but I'd still back Langer more often. I'd definitely put him (Langer) ahead of Trescothick, as well as the England man has done lately.

IMO:

1. V Sehwag
2. JL Langer
3. ML Hayden/ME Trescothick
4. GC Smith

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hayden may have pounded a West Indian attack and scored a few runs against South Africa, but I'd still back Langer more often. I'd definitely put him (Langer) ahead of Trescothick, as well as the England man has done lately.

IMO:

1. V Sehwag
2. JL Langer
4. GC Smith
well for me i might sneak Hayden slightly ahead of Langer overall not just because he may have been such a dominant player over the past 4 years but even though he failed in the ashes he showed in the australian summer than he can play quality bowling pretty well, plus he has more shots than JL.

But the best overall must be Sehwag, then Hayden, Langer, Trescothick & Attapatu to round up the top 5.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
But the best overall must be Sehwag, then Hayden, Langer, Trescothick & Attapatu to round up the top 5.
Atapattu ahead of Smith? Atapattu is woefully inconsistent.Smith is far more potent for mine.

Zinzan

Tough call, I'd probably have .......

Langer and Sehwag = 1st at the moment

4 years ago I would have said Hayden, although he's not far off with his form of late.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

IMO:

1. V Sehwag
2. JL Langer
4. GC Smith

id agree with that

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
well for me i might sneak Hayden slightly ahead of Langer overall not just because he may have been such a dominant player over the past 4 years but even though he failed in the ashes he showed in the australian summer than he can play quality bowling pretty well, plus he has more shots than JL.
No he didn't, he showed he could score runs off the SA and WI attacks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surprised no-one has mentioned De Villiers at all. He didn't have the best tour to Oz, but he still averages well over 50. More techinically correct batter than anyone mentioned bar Langer for me.

If this had have been asked a year ago I bet Strauss would've featured too. I'm hoping he's saving his best form for Weds. Hoping, I emphasize, not expecting... :p

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Trescothick is massively overrated by a lot of England fans, I feel.

Yes he averages a very respectable 45 but check out his average outside England : it's only 36.