• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Calcutta isn't up in flames ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't the response to Ganguly's dropping from the fifteen for the first test and More's hinting that this may be the end of the road for Saurav ("we are looking to the future afterall we have a Windies tour coming up"), a bit too muted ? No ripting on the streets, no burning of effigies, no Bengali folks lining up to shout support in front of TV news channel cameras ?

Could this - Eventually, the Dadagiri cost him explain it ?

Excerpts :-

...strangely enough, the mood among his benefactors at the Cricket Association of Bengal appears to be one of exasperation with the player’s attitude....

A reluctance to play domestic matches and a conspicuous tendency to stay aloof from the Bengal team eventually gave his critics enough ammunition against him.

Since his return from Pakistan, the CAB has had to face several uncomfortable questions over Ganguly’s ‘‘attitude towards the Bengal team’’ during the Ranji Trophy one-dayers.

First, he said he wouldn’t travel with Deep Dasgupta and the team to Jamadoba, near Dhanbad. Then, despite repeated ‘‘requests’’ from the CAB, he dodged Bengal’s opener against Tripura on February 11. He eventually agreed to play the remaining one-dayers but the CAB cringed when he was seen travelling to and from Kolkata every day instead of staying with the team.

Not that he had a good time with the bat there: The left-hander managed just 92 runs in three matches, averaging a modest 30.66. And his 72 against Jharkhand came only after he was dropped twice, on 11 and 16. His two other knocks, of 12 and 8, would not have inspired the national selectors.

There are many in the CAB itself who reckon that the 32-year-old, despite not having done much wrong after the Pakistan series, is paying for his attitude ahead of the season-opening Challenger series and the now-famous Bengal-Tamil Nadu Ranji match on an Eden greentop.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So the attention seeker is back !! Please people please post in this thread, it has been close to 90 minutes and no one has posted in this thread. SJS is in dire need of some attention. Liam please dont merge this thread with the Official thread, let SJS have all the attention in this thread.

His hatred of city of Kolkata and Bengalis knows no bounds.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Uhh... Sanz, I too was shocked at the lack of burning effigies and protest marches following Sourav's drop. And SJS only mentioned it as a beginner to the reasons why it might be that way, that is Ganguly's own faults. I don't see any hatred for anyone in this. And you can hardly deny that many Bengalis (not all but many) have done everything SJS mentioned.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
maybe they have finally accepted it....or realized the futility of burning effigies or rioting(well one can always hope!:) )...or realized that he is just an unnecessary complication in india's cricketing future.....or...

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
I thought that the CAB and entire West Bengal would call for a Bharat Bandh and a hunger strike and then finally a morcha onto whereever the BCCI HQ is, Mumbai I guess. Oh well the day is just begining in India...and miles to go before this topic goes to sleep.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
pug said:
Uhh... Sanz, I too was shocked at the lack of burning effigies and protest marches following Sourav's drop. And SJS only mentioned it as a beginner to the reasons why it might be that way, that is Ganguly's own faults. I don't see any hatred for anyone in this. And you can hardly deny that many Bengalis (not all but many) have done everything SJS mentioned.
Shocked ??Seems you are equally biased against Bengalis and city of Kolkata. Anyways I thank you for contributing to this thread, atleast SJS got some attention now even if he had to resort to flame bait.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Saurav was a great player, now he doesn't deserve a place in the team.Guys like Kaif, Raina and others deserve to get a chance more than Gang.

I think Gang's home-crowd has now realised that and are now silent over the issue whch is good for India cricket

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
kvemuri said:
I thought that the CAB and entire West Bengal would call for a Bharat Bandh and a hunger strike and then finally a morcha onto whereever the BCCI HQ is, Mumbai I guess. Oh well the day is just begining in India...and miles to go before this topic goes to sleep.
Yeah man Entire WEST BENGAL is a volcano waiting to erupt....wait till some Jatin das blows himself up in the parliament.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There weren't responses before the Sanz comment which brings out exactly why this has not been a burning issue, no pun intended.

The issue has dragged on and people have been bored of it finally. This means the issue looses its political motivation. Thus we hardly find the issue being discussed, let alone blown out of proportion.

This is not a first despite what More said. The reactions were cold even when Ganguly was left out of the LOI team.

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
pug said:
I gotta agree after Ganguly was dropped for the third test in against Sri Lanka, the Kolkattans didn't do anyone any favors by their own behavior, whether be it shooting off letters to the BCCI and stating that this was an "insult to West Bengal" or by openly supporting the opposing team in the match against SA. Its very difficult to argue for Kolkattans per se, although generalizations can be avoided, but many did do everything thats been mentioned.

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:
Yeah man Entire WEST BENGAL is a volcano waiting to erupt....wait till some Jatin das blows himself up in the parliament.
Alright my bad, I should've added some sort of smiley winky thingys to show a touch of sarcasm in my previous post. But you cannot deny what has been a soap opera of sorts from West Bengal, i mean come on the matter went to such a level that the CM had to say that it was an insult to Bengal. Couldn't have been much more politicized than that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
kvemuri said:
I gotta agree after Ganguly was dropped for the third test in against Sri Lanka, the Kolkattans didn't do anyone any favors by their own behavior, whether be it shooting off letters to the BCCI and stating that this was an "insult to West Bengal" or by openly supporting the opposing team in the match against SA. Its very difficult to argue for Kolkattans per se, although generalizations can be avoided, but many did do everything thats been mentioned.
Blah blah blah..first make a gross generalization and then post the above crap. Just because Abu Salem is a terrorist doesn't mean all of Mumbai is terrorist. Some people in Kolkata dont make up ENTIRE West Bengal.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
kvemuri said:
Alright my bad, I should've added some sort of smiley winky thingys to show a touch of sarcasm in my previous post. But you cannot deny what has been a soap opera of sorts from West Bengal, i mean come on the matter went to such a level that the CM had to say that it was an insult to Bengal. Couldn't have been much more politicized than that.
Blah Blah Blah from Veerappans

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:
Blah blah blah..first make a gross generalization and then post the above crap. Just because Abu Salem is a terrorist doesn't mean all of Mumbai a terrorist. Some people in Kolkata dont make up ENTIRE West Bengal.
Believe me or don't believe me, your choice, as I said previously it was meant to be sarcastic, didn't come off that way.

Sanz said:
Blah Blah Blah from Veerappans.
Very mature indeed! ;)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Am I the only one who was previously all for Ganguly's dropping that is now slightly disappointed he's not in the touring squad?

Even though one of my favourites, Kaif will possibly now get a test opportunity he hasn't been in great form (due to injury and selection inconsistencies IMO but still) and with Yuvraj out for the first test I was 100% positive that Ganguly would not only make the squad but likely make the team. SJS suggested in the thread that Ganguly's dropping was not a surprise nor a disaster. Well I definitely agree its not a disaster, but its a surprise for me, that's for sure.

I'm not shattered or anything, because the sheer sight of Kaif in the test squad, the adding of Sreesanth and VR Singh (Chawla is interesting too) and the dropping of Zaheer and Agarkar makes me think the selectors have pretty much got it all right, however I really expected Ganguly to at least be in the squad. We'll see how it goes.

In relevance to the whole Calcutta issue, I really am not even thinking about it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Am I the only one who was previously all for Ganguly's dropping that is now slightly disappointed he's not in the touring squad?
Nopes. I feel the same.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Although I am huge Ganguly fan, I am not really dissappointed and was kind of hoping that. He did play well in Pakistan but not well enough and more importantly his presnce in the team created unnecessary pressure on Dravid to include him in the final XI at the expense of an opener. Also It was a major distraction for the captain, every media briefing Dravid had to answer unnecessary questions about Ganguly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Although I am huge Ganguly fan, I am not really dissappointed and was kind of hoping that. He did play well in Pakistan but not well enough and more importantly his presnce in the team created unnecessary pressure on Dravid to include him in the final XI at the expense of an opener. Also It was a major distraction for the captain, every media briefing Dravid had to answer unnecessary questions about Ganguly.
You're right about that.

Its very interesting, Ganguly's 4th innings knock, where he was looking solid as a rock but went first ball after tea on day 4 seems to be the end of his career. Twice in that test the ball was in his court to solidify himself in the test team (or squad at least) and give the selectors no choice but to choose him. In the first innings he was batting with Yuvraj and they both failed after solid starts. In the 2nd innings both were batting well again, but Ganguly just failed to go on with it. I'll never forget watching live the ball Razzaq bowled to him to get him LBW. The look on Ganguly's face just before the finger went up, well it seems to be he kind of knew this would be costly on his career.

He's served India well, if this is the end (I've thought this about 3 times now lol) then hopefully India will continue to improve.

adharcric

International Coach
Ganguly probably batted well enough against Pakistan to earn a berth in the test squad, but perhaps other things need to be taken into account as well. His presence in the squad often draws attention from the team and its cricketing interests and his stature applies undesired pressure on the team; Dravid's sacrificial decision to open against Pakistan to accomodate Ganguly is one instance. This isn't necessarily Ganguly's fault, so this situation is slightly unfortunate and tragic. Then again, if sources are right about Ganguly's poor attitude towards team unity and commitment (with the Bengal team especially), maybe it isn't so tragic.

The last two or three times I expected Ganguly to mount a comeback, and he did so. This time, I fear it's all over for Ganguly. Let's hope Mohammad Kaif and Suresh Raina seal his fate and give India some solid middle-order options.