• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jenner: England have better spin bowling talent than Australia

There was an article on the bbc recently where Jenner said England have more and much better spinners than Australia. Interesting and surprising comments to me.

I think England wil have some world classs spinners soon - as we say in Worcester,
the proof is in the pudding. Gareth Batty recently took 7-23 and Panesar is impressing in India.

Btw, I should introduce myself - I am Chris Hinton's cousing thrice removed. I lived in Brooklyn, New York for a long time but only recently I have moved back to England.

:)

archie mac said:
Welcome :)

Do you have a link to any articles re- the Jenner comments?

Its is mentioned in teh recent article in BBC cricket about england's new spin bowling coach. I will try to dig it up.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Batty took 7-23 against a West Indies domestic team didn't he? Also, Panesar hasn't really done anything of note in India purely on stats.

Australia have a better spin bowling attack in my opinion.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Got a link, by any chance?

I find this a very strange comment. Leaving Warne and MacGill out of it (even though both are likely to be around for several more years), South Australia alone has two extremely promising spinners coming through right now. In a few years I think Australia will be doing okay in that area.

edit: whoops.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Got a link, by any chance?
Scroll up to the fourth post. Only a passing reference.

I have spoken to (Australian leg-spin coach) Terry Jenner at length and he argues that what we have at junior level in terms of quantity and quality far outweighs what they have available in Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Over in Sri Lanka, there were a few guys from England on an ECB funded trip learning more about spin to bring back to their academy.

Jenner is a bit of a strange unit, from all reports. Reputation has been made to be fantastic because of his relationship with Warne, but I've heard a lot of other people don't find him much use at all. And doesn't have any time for someone who wants to bowl leg spin in a different manner to Warne.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Over in Sri Lanka, there were a few guys from England on an ECB funded trip learning more about spin to bring back to their academy.

Jenner is a bit of a strange unit, from all reports. Reputation has been made to be fantastic because of his relationship with Warne, but I've heard a lot of other people don't find him much use at all. And doesn't have any time for someone who wants to bowl leg spin in a different manner to Warne.
Particularly not left handed anyway:D

howardj

International Coach
Seems strange. Australia have Cullen, Bailey, Casson. There's hardly a dearth of spinners coming through the ranks.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Seems strange. Australia have Cullen, Bailey, Casson. There's hardly a dearth of spinners coming through the ranks.
Think the article refers to "juniors."

Surprised if these guys or Panesar, for example, meet that definition.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Great news! I mean of course he's talking about underneath talent... but it's great news for the future.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From what I've seen of Jenner, he is the dictionary definition of a one-trick pony and I'm not sorry that he's clearing off back to Australia soonish. I'm not at all sure how he's managed to get paid for four years to do the same workshop incessantly. Really, a video or DVD would have been a better investment.

I'd also very much like to find out where these junior spinners are, because they're not in East Devon - we are still very much almost all seam.

Neil Pickup said:
I'd also very much like to find out where these junior spinners are, because they're not in East Devon - we are still very much almost all seam.

They're all in Worcester e.g Mark Lawson or in Illeterate Essex

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Just out of interest, can you explain to me why your location is Worcester, your profile timezone is Central US Time, and you're connecting from an IP address in Melbourne/Aus?

Neil Pickup said:
Just out of interest, can you explain to me why your location is Worcester, your profile timezone is Central US Time, and you're connecting from an IP address in Melbourne/Aus?

well my company has sent me on a work assignment to Australia and I grew up in Brooklyn.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Up here,every other bowler is a bloody spinner,and they're all crap.