• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your back/front yard

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
I am not sure what inspired me to ask this of people, but here it goes....

What does your backyard, obviously where you play some backyard cricket, look like.
I think the best idea would be to send in a picture and describe the set up, like the boundaries...etc.

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well, my backyard is actually about 3/4 of an acre. It's almost perfectly square, and we play smack-bang in the middle, but we play with the stumps near the back fence, so as to avoid us hitting shots too far behind the wicket cos it's exhausting enough playing one-on-one. That and we used to use the dilapidated barn (which has now fallen down) behind as a 3 slips AND 3 leg slips cordon. Great games have been had there. 1997 WC Semi Final. South Africa (My cousin John) v Australia (Me). South Africa need 18 off 9 balls. Richardson skies the ball, and as he's coming back for his second run, the ball drops onto the stumps at the striker's end and bowls him. "BOWLED! PLAYED ON!" I scream, and after much protest, I argue that it's just like edging it on and he agrees. I end up winning for about the fifth time ever in our 12 years of playing together. But then again, it's two games a year at the most. We don't see each other very often.

But, back to the description. There's a slight incline just before the bowler's end stumps, so the Ashes bowling lineups read: Warne, MacGill, McGrath, Symonds, Hauritz versus Gough, White, Giles, Croft, Batty. Now that we're both 18 (well come May), it's not unusual for an average of 24 runs to be scored an over. We used to play breaking the Catholic Church window next door was an automatic century and out (we had Catholic hatred bred into us by our pop...no offence), but then our mate bought the church cos nobody turned up to the church. Can you blame them for selling it? Five people at a service. There's only 60 people in the village! Haven't had many games lately, and the field doubles as a pitch 'n' putt course and free-kick practice area. Pitch is in bad condition, but once we get a pump for our bore, we can start watering the lawn again and I'll create a ripper of a pitch if anyone turns up for a game. Fortunately, we just got a new fence, so no balls through the fence anymore.

Stumped

Banned
Woops! should read this one before i posted my thread...sorry! Go to Your cricket backyard grounds for a look at mine! sorry again

Josh

International Regular
My backyard has floodlights. I'm yet to test them due to the curator taking a holiday and a multitude of dog **** being left on the pitch.

Stumped

Banned
we have 2 pitches on down the bottom which we mostly play on which is pavement, another up the top which is long and grass which we use when we have people over and play

Dr_Brad

Banned
My backyard is an acre so we have lots of fun!
we play right in the dead centre and we have even got a pitch made from where our feet have been.

Raptor11

Cricket Spectator
My backyard is about half an acre or so,haven't really measured it. We still have loads offun playing cricket on the small "pitch" we made.