• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akram's Inswinger to Ponting

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
This is a good article. I agree about Akram''s views on the Tigers, but Zimbabwe should be kicked out of international cricket now.

I love how some people throw around the old 'it took Bangladesh XX games to win their first test match, but it only took NZ XX games". It seems so silly.

/derail

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a stupid argument considering NZ played (im not exactly sure about the stats) around 20 tests over a time period of 18-20 years between 1940 & 1960.

howardj

International Coach
May have been a great bowler, speaks absolute rubbish most times though. Who will ever forget his rant alleging that the ICC is run by 'whites', and it metes out punishments based on race. The guy is a loose cannon. I mean, look at the hatred in the above article: "Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut". Ponting always makes much more sense than the attention-seeking Akram.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
But ponting makes more sense as long his mouth remains shut.

So i guess Akram is doing a favor to Ponting by giving him a good advice.

C_C

International Captain
age_master said:
If Ponting should keep his mouth shut so should akram...
Actually Akram is not obligated to keep his views to himself. He is no longer an active player but is a journo/commentator. As such, he can say anything he wants. Ponting on the other hand, being an active player ( and captain to boot) has to be much more careful about what comes outta his yap.

C_C

International Captain
I mean, look at the hatred in the above article: "Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut".
Speaking from personal experience,Akram is quite a nice bloke who is very polite. As per hatred in the line, 'keep your mouth shut' is a very common replacement in the subcontinent for 'he should just shut up' comments made in the west ( which seems to fly by without any 'gee what hatred associated with it' comments). He is speaking for a subcontinental media outlet that reflects subcontinental article composition. As such, many linguistic variations exist. Keep that in mind before you jump off.

howardj

International Coach
C_C said:
Speaking from personal experience,Akram is quite a nice bloke who is very polite. As per hatred in the line, 'keep your mouth shut' is a very common replacement in the subcontinent for 'he should just shut up' comments made in the west ( which seems to fly by without any 'gee what hatred associated with it' comments). .
It's said directly to him, though. As distinct from your example, 'he should just shut up'. That's the difference.

C_C

International Captain
As distinct from your example, 'he should just shut up'. That's the difference.
Umm there is very little difference whether one says it directly to you or refers to you in third person, even in 'queen's english' (grammatically).
But for a person who doesnt speak English as a first language, that is way too thin a line to be even aware of.
I am sure if you picked up a language informally, you aint gonna be too hot in the semantics department.....
Like i said, he is talking to a subcontinental media outlet - and as a result, the composition will not be the best in the world when it comes to eloquoent semantics...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst narrow-minded and short-sighted, Ponting only wants to see better standards of cricket.

Akram only wants to sell more newspapers.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
social said:
Whilst narrow-minded and short-sighted, Ponting only wants to see better standards of cricket.

Akram only wants to sell more newspapers.
totally unwarranted. How exactly would Ponting be looking for better standards of cricket, if he just wants to rubbish the only lower class team that has shown some potential to be in the world arena, out of existence.

As for the Akram wanting to sell more newspapers statement. Ever thought of the alternative? Mebbe he actually did feel sore about the statements Ponting made. Though plain and simple a deduction in front of ur contrived insinuations, it doesnt sound all that highly implausible to me

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the_last_rites said:
totally unwarranted. How exactly would Ponting be looking for better standards of cricket, if he just wants to rubbish the only lower class team that has shown some potential to be in the world arena, out of existence.

As for the Akram wanting to sell more newspapers statement. Ever thought of the alternative? Mebbe he actually did feel sore about the statements Ponting made. Though plain and simple a deduction in front of ur contrived insinuations, it doesnt sound all that highly implausible to me
Firstly, exactly what in my statement leads you to believe that I support Ponting's stance? However, in his defence, he obviously believes that matches that attract a certain status should only be played by cricketers of a certain standard ( something that is all too rare amongst the ranks of the minnows).

Secondly, Akram, whilst being a magnificent cricketer (I am on record here as a saying that he is IMO the greatest ever bowler and, at times, an incisive captain), he has ZERO credibility as a commentator. His repeated ridiculous assertions on any range of topics are ssufficient evidence of this.

howardj

International Coach
C_C said:
Umm there is very little difference whether one says it directly to you or refers to you in third person, even in 'queen's english' (grammatically).
But for a person who doesnt speak English as a first language, that is way too thin a line to be even aware of.
I am sure if you picked up a language informally, you aint gonna be too hot in the semantics department.....
Like i said, he is talking to a subcontinental media outlet - and as a result, the composition will not be the best in the world when it comes to eloquoent semantics...
I wouldn't be looking at the comment in isolation, though. Rather, in the context of his other, quite bizarre, anti-subcontinent conspiracy theories.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
"Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut".

He's allowed to express his opinion, certainly. He he could have been more prudent in his choice of words. Anyway I'm a bit on the line with this Bangladesh debate. I think any team on any given day can beat any other team when everything falls together. But if your going to play 10 games and a team can only win one... well that asks questions of that teams abilities. Akram I loved to no ends as a bowler. Most entertaining fast bowler ever. But his attitude leaves a bit to be desired.

And Ponting makes sense when he slows down his rate of speech. Now that's a lad who can talk fast.