• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two zones for Cricket world.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Recently Ponting has suggested that ICC should get rid of minnows. I think it would be better if instead of getting rid of minnows alltogeather, we should have two seperate zones for playing nation. Zone A should be for top cricket nation, and Zone B should be for minnow and minnowish perfoming nation.

It should be like this,

Zone A
Australia
India
England
S Africa
N Zealand
Pakistan( on popular demand)

Zone B
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Bangladesh
kenya
Zimbab

There sould be regular matches between each teams of Zone A, and regular matches between each teams of Zone B. The team ending up at the bottom of Zone A should be made to play matches with the team ending up at the top of Zone B.If team from Zone B wins the game then it should replace the losing team from Zone A for a spot in Zone A.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan out of group A is insansity says I.

I'd get teams that play in the world cup like Holland to join group B... but really there are only three teams that aren't up to the level these days. Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and even the West Indies. feel aweful relegating the Windies when they have Brian Lara and Shivvy.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
good stuff
i can see it working quite well but i seriously doubt the icc would do anything to get something like this a run

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
The problem is this...

Australia are out in front of everyone (not as much as they have been, but they are),

SA, Eng, Pak, Ind, SL, NZ are all capable of beating one another depending on where the game is actually played and who is on form.

WI are in decline, but still capable of springing a surprise.

So, yes, I would still say there is a top 8.

Then there is Bangladesh. A side who, recently, have shown they are capable of springing a few surprises. They will probably get better and better. At the moment (especially test match wise), they are not up to it.

Then there is Zimbabwe. A side who are falling further and further into a chasm of unprofessional chaos. They will not get better until the administration, and the country get better.

Then there are countries like Kenya, Namibia, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, the Netherlands etc who are learning cricket, and playing some decent cricket against each other, but when they come up against the big guns, getting hammered.

I would have two divisions, but like this...

A - Aus, Eng, Ind, Pak, SL, NZ, SA, WI, Ban

B - Zim, Ken, Nam, Sco, Ire, Can, Ned, then two of USA, Ber, UAE, Nepal, Uganda, UAE etc

Then maybe have a third if there are enough (realistically, there aren't)

Then, in between these groups, you have a promotion relegation system. Also, the higher ranked teams in the groups (ie, probably one and two) do not play the bottom two as much as they play the rest of the top 7. This way, as rankings change, schedules change.

Plus, I can't handle having both Ban and Zim getting a thrashing (as well as Windies on the odd occasion).

Long live test cricket, but let's give it back some integrity. Maybe even have a top group of eight and a bottom group of ten, with the knowledge that when the winner of group B (ie. Bangladesh) can give the bottom of group A a LEGITIMATE run for their money, make the groups 9 a piece.

All of the first class games in group A are 5 day games - they will be called Test matches

All of the games in group B are 4 day games - they will be called A Tests.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
I can't believe anyone's taking notice of a clear troll...
I don't know about that !!:)

On current performances and the way SL are playing ATM , I would like them to take a long break from International Cricket !!:laugh:

** Only kidding **:laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Woo hoo.

Zone 'A' gets all the teams that produce all the money.

Thread starter is Jagmohan Dalmiya and I claim my 5000000 rupees (like he does)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voltman said:
JASON,

I had no problem with Sri Lanka's placement - just Pakistan's. :laugh:
Agreed, especially given the result of the recent series

No prizes for guessing where the poster's from

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IndianByHeart said:
I think sensitivities shouldn't matter here, we should just be looking at performance.
So what basis do you have for putting India in the top tier then if you look at the last 2 Test series between those sides?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Right arm fast said:
good stuff
i can see it working quite well but i seriously doubt the icc would do anything to get something like this a run
The only place you could draw a line is under the 8th team - and that would then mean no sides could ever break through.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
JASON,

I had no problem with Sri Lanka's placement - just Pakistan's. :laugh:
What.... given overnight results , you want SL to get beaten even by Zim/Bangladesh/WI/ Kenya 8-) :laugh: :laugh:

NO way Buddy !!

I want SL in a Group of its own with only say Zanzibar/ Madagascar etc may be to play against . We will definitely be World beaters in Such a Group !!:laugh:

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Woo hoo.

Zone 'A' gets all the teams that produce all the money.

Thread starter is Jagmohan Dalmiya and I claim my 5000000 rupees (like he does)
You do realise that that amount wouldnt buy you a beer at most test venues dont you?