• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam Blackmailing PCB!!

DhonisOnslaught

Cricket Spectator
Inzamam’s one-day leadership on the line

By our correspondent

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) Ad-hoc Committee may have reposed confidence in Inzamam-ul-Haq’s captaincy for the next 11 months but apparently rumblings have started in the corridors of power over whether he should be entrusted with this responsibility for such a long period and particularly of the One-day International (ODI) team leading up to the 2007 World Cup.

Because if one is to believe well placed sources in the PCB then it took a threat from Inzamam to force the committee to retain him for another year. ‘The News’ has been told by these sources that there was plenty of debate and discussion on Inzamam’s future role as captain especially in the ODI squad after the team had gone down 3-1 to India in the just concluded series.

One day after the committee meeting that reposed faith in Inzamam, Pakistan lost the ODI series by a margin of 4-1. "The scenario was that Inzamam had let it been known to the PCB chairman and other committee members that if any move was made to remove him as captain he would also step down from the team immediately," one source claimed.

"He conveyed ‘threats’ not to play against India in the final game if the committee didn’t extend support to him and appointed him as captain as close to the World Cup as possible," the source claimed.

Inzamam has been named captain until the West Indies tour of Pakistan, which is from October to end December this year after which the Pakistan team goes to South Africa and then to the World Cup in the West Indies in late March.

"The committee members were obviously not happy with the situation but decided to go along for now to not to create an uncertain situation. But already there are rumblings that the Board needs to seriously reassess Inzamam’s fitness and the percentage chances of his being in form and 100 percent fit by the time of the World Cup," the source said.

These sort of happenings are not uncommon because such is the volatile nature of Pakistan cricket that a run of defeats by the national team can at times serve as a powder keg for the team captain and other management.

Inzamam turns 36 next month according to his official age chart and will be 37 before the World Cup starts and the source said the committee members had raised this point with Shaharyar Khan who asked them to support the senior player at the moment.

"The main questions being asked are about the viability of retaining him (Inzamam) as captain of the one-day squad for the World Cup given his age, chronic back problem and fitness issues. There is also other issues on which coach Bob Woolmer and the chairman so far have kept quiet as the team was doing well in the last one year." "But Woolmer privately has told the chairman that Inzamam is not an active participant in the training routines set out for the other players and his fitness levels have been falling."

"But since the team has been doing well under Inzamam, Woolmer also knew it was best for him not to make an issue of this and keep quiet. Because in Pakistan when the team is doing well every ill is ignored and it’s only when it starts losing that everyone starts spotting the obvious deficiencies," the source noted.

The source said even Shaharyar Khan had pampered Inzamam to a large extent due to the team’s good results but now the situation is changing. "He (Shaharyar) even allowed Inzamam to sign contracts with the media, something which is not allowed generally in Pakistan cricket and later also had to give permission to some other players."

He disclosed that a strong lobby in the PCB, which had for long been upset with Inzamam’s attitude, had already started a whispering campaign that Younis should be made captain of the one-day squad and Inzamam told to concentrate on leading the Test side and then making himself available only for the crucial one-day games.

"Clearly, one-day cricket now is a young man’s game and this has been proved beyond doubt by the tactics adopted by the Indian captain Rahul Dravid and coach Greg Chappell and the result is that they have been winning consistently."

"Dravid said the other day a couple of young hands and legs on the field had lifted the team’s performances," the source noted. Ironically, all this is happening when just a few months ago Inzamam was being hailed as a great leader of his players and there was no one who was short of showering praise on him including some former players.

"But this is the ugly face of Pakistan cricket. A couple of defeats can turn a hero into a ‘villain’ very quickly. Unfortunately Inzamam appears to be heading down that path unless he can turn around the team’s performances dramatically on the coming tours to Sri Lanka and England," the source said.

DhonisOnslaught

Cricket Spectator
I found this article from Pak leading newsper "the news".

Very unfortunate indeed, Inzamam's behavious is disgrace, is he tryig to be another Ganguly (except that Ganguly didn't deserve a place in team, while old Inzi don't deserve to be the captain).

I think Bob woolmer should be strong enough to stand up and demand for Inzi's removal as a skipper in OD side.The guy's fitness is getting worse and he doesn't even participate in routine training, how can such a guy lead a team in ODI???

Looks like Inzamam and Pak team will end up 2007 just like Waqar and then Pak team ended up in 2003!

Fusion

Global Moderator
DhonisOnslaught said:
It just says from "our correspondence".Appeared on the sports page of the news on 21 feb

Don't put too much stock on these articles. They are a dime a dozen in Pakistan. The Pakistani newspapers are notorious for having biases, secret agendas, or just plain misinformation. I haven't heard any such rumblings from an official source. Until I do, I think this story is crap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even if it is a load of crap, it will doubtless accellerate Inzamam's demise...
It's just the way things are in Pakistan... you can't do anything about it.

danish

U19 12th Man
Richard said:
]

Indeed, Inzamam's days as Pakistani captain are numbered. Even if there is a shred of truth in this article, it is very bad news.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
so will he lose captaincy of the ODI side or both, Test and ODI?
and if he is not the captain, does he deserve a place in the ODI side, purely as a batsmen and a bad fielder...i see shades of the ganguly drama here...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FTR... I can't say I find Inzamam anywhere near as good a ODI captain as I do Test captain... but who can replace him?
Mohammad Yousuf? Abdur\l Razzaq?

Shoaib Akhtar? (Can he play 5 games in a row?)

Kamran Akmal?

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
I think alot of people are touting Younis Khan the current VC as the future captain. He is more dynamic and energetic in the field but then again same could be said of the stump camera in comparison to Inzy.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Inzamam not deserving of a place in the ODI side...?
Inzamam is one of if not the best ODI players going around at the current time... it was only a few games ago that he played on an extremely difficult pitch and made batting look absurdly easy... I can recall very few different-World-ish innings as spectacular as this
If they can kick him of the top seat based on an ODI loss, surely they will make the humiliation complete by claiming his fielding renders him a liability in the ODI arena; whoever t"they" are.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Mecnun said:
I think alot of people are touting Younis Khan the current VC as the future captain. He is more dynamic and energetic in the field but then again same could be said of the stump camera in comparison to Inzy.
Younis Khan is definitely the one for the future. Not only is he a good player, I was reading his columns during the Ind-Pak series, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Younis Khan is NOT a good ODI player.
Averages 27 against ODI-standard teams, from nearly 100 innings.
Completely beats me how he's played as many games.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
Younis Khan is NOT a good ODI player.
Averages 27 against ODI-standard teams, from nearly 100 innings.
Completely beats me how he's played as many games.
Must be the enthusiasm and the boundless energy combined with that semi-permanent gormless smile he has on his face that so endears him to the selectors. I agree he is not a good ODI player but he does seem to have turned a new leaf and will be under keen scritiny in the SL and England series.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Not only the his own demise, but demise of pakistan team as well (which is already falling apart).

PCB use to change captain/coach like one change one's underwear, looks like we are going to see that happen again.All in all it suggests a disaster for Pakistan.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
IndianByHeart said:
Not only the his own demise, but demise of pakistan team as well (which is already falling apart).

PCB use to change captain/coach like one change one's underwear, looks like we are going to see that happen again.All in all it suggests a disaster for Pakistan.
Let me be the first to welcome back Nehrafan/Vandemataram or at the very least his long lost twin.

danish

U19 12th Man
Fusion said:
Let me be the first to welcome back Nehrafan/Vandemataram or at the very least his long lost twin.
Give the guy a chance before we roll out the red carpet.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
DhonisOnslaught said:
I found this article from Pak leading newsper "the news".
Then what stopped you from posting the link on the forum ? I dont think articles without proper links should be allowed posting in the forum.