• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Difference between Legbreak and Legbreak googly?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Often when looking up bowling averages i find sometimes that one leggie might have his bowling style down as LB (Legbreak) and another one as (LBG) Legbreak googly.

Now why is this? Is a guy who has (LB) as his style officially known not to be able to bowl a googly or is there another reason?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Must be pain to watch all the guy's deliveries and try and spot a googly...

And how effective would a leggie who can't bowl a googly be?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Autobahn said:

I was pretty effective right up to U18 level, never bowled a googly in my life..

I found the biggest weapons were angle, and variations in flight, as well as keeping it tight, waiting for the batsman to give it away

NavjotSidhu

Cricket Spectator
Autobahn said:

I don't think Shane Warne is good at bowling googlies but it hasn't seemed to hurt him.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
NavjotSidhu said:
I don't think Shane Warne is good at bowling googlies but it hasn't seemed to hurt him.
How the hell did i forget about warney? :laugh:

Man that was a stupid question :laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps a LBG is someone who bowls the googly as their stock delivery? Kinda like a right-armed version of Paul Adams.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Voltman said:
Perhaps a LBG is someone who bowls the googly as their stock delivery? Kinda like a right-armed version of Paul Adams.
no because that's what shane warne is listed as.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It looks more than likely that different bowlers have got classified by different people, and some people use LB and some LBG.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The LBG definition is one of the stupidest things anyone ever came-up with.
Would you class a seamer who bowls slower-balls (just about everyone, really) RAMF\SM? Or a right-arm fingerspinner OB\AB (off-breaks\arm-balls).
A bowling definition should refer to stock-balls only. Only a tiny number of bowlers have ever bowled the Googly as a stock-ball. Even Adams is listed as "Chinamen" (left-arm-wristspin-orthodox) in most places.
In any case, as I've always said, listing bowlers as "off-break\leg-break\slow-left-arm\left-arm-chinamen" is stupid.
Simple enough, it should just be RAFS\RAWS\LAFS\LAWS.
And for people like Murali and Adams, just don't try to define them.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Richard said:
The LBG definition is one of the stupidest things anyone ever came-up with.
Would you class a seamer who bowls slower-balls (just about everyone, really) RAMF\SM? Or a right-arm fingerspinner OB\AB (off-breaks\arm-balls).
A bowling definition should refer to stock-balls only. Only a tiny number of bowlers have ever bowled the Googly as a stock-ball. Even Adams is listed as "Chinamen" (left-arm-wristspin-orthodox) in most places.
In any case, as I've always said, listing bowlers as "off-break\leg-break\slow-left-arm\left-arm-chinamen" is stupid.
Simple enough, it should just be RAFS\RAWS\LAFS\LAWS.
And for people like Murali and Adams, just don't try to define them.
Well i can't see a problem with the current listing really and i can't see how yours would improve it and wouldn't murali by your own words be defined as a Off-break bowler because his stock ball is the off-break?

And adams would be a Left-arm Chinaman because his stock ball is the one turns back into the batsmen (the chinaman) his action is very odd but it doesn't make him impossible to define.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murali's stock-ball is the off-break only to right-handers.
And with more left-handers in the game now than ever, it's even more stupid than it's ever been to list bowlers as "off" or "leg" break, because the fact is what's an off-break to a right-hander is a leg-break to a left-hander - without anything about the ball changing.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I always thought it was taken from the bowlers viewpoint.

"murali sees his ball spin from off to leg, delivered out of his right hand and realises he's bowled an off-break because from his view it's behaving as an off-break would"

Surely that would be better than having the bowlers style change everytime a single is taken?:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How does the bowler decide which stump is off and which is leg, with no batsman there?
Off and leg are terms which apply only to batting.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Well then directions would tell him what he was bowling.

A right arm off break bowler would expect his ball to move from left to right.

cpr

International Coach
mebbie murali should be defined as ->S and warne <-S, to keep the pedants happy :p