• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Get rid of cricket's minnows - Ponting

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Get rid of cricket's minnows - Ponting

Ricky Ponting has set the scene for a frosty reception in Bangladesh when the Australians tour there in April by saying the country should be stripped of its test status.

Two months before Australia's first test tour of Bangladesh, Ponting implied he would rather the two-match series was not happening by saying Bangladesh and fellow minnows Zimbabwe should not be playing test cricket.

Asked in an interview with Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper what changes he would like to see in cricket, the Australian captain said: "I think the international schedule is about right, with 30 one-dayers and 15 tests a year. What I would not have is the minnow nations in the World Cup and the Champions' Trophy, and I would not have Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing tests at present."

Ponting's remarks are certain to cause a backlash among the Bangladeshi cricket community, particularly after the country celebrated its biggest success since being admitted to cricket's top table by beating Australia in a one-dayer in Cardiff last year.

Ponting's comments would appear to clash with Cricket Australia's policy on the so-called minnows but will not earn him any reprimand.

"Test cricket needs to be about the best playing the best," a CA spokesman said yesterday. "There are some countries that are developing, and the way to develop is to play on a regular basis against the best countries in the world. Cricket Australia has bought into that process by sending the Australian team [to play against them]."

CA went into damage control last night, releasing a more diplomatic statement from Ponting which appeared to be a full backflip from his original comments. "If it takes teams like Australia playing teams like Bangladesh for the developing test nations to improve their skills, then I'm all for it," he said. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of leading Australia in Bangladesh."

Oh dear. I guess he is just being honest. I mean Zimbabwe DEFINITELY. I would keep Bangladesh though. At least you can see that they are improving. Slowly...

Blaze

Banned
I don't see what everyone's problem with Bangladesh is. Look at how poor NZ was when we first started out. The best way for them to improve is for them to keep playing the best.

When people say 'they aren't ready yet' what do they mean? How can you tell when they are ready, and how is not letting them play test cricket going to help them become competitive (which they will do in time).

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think the main thrust of my point is "Should Ponting be saying this?"

I reckon good on him. I'd be sick of those meaningless games if I was him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
they have potential but are not at test standard yet.
Sometimes people defend crap just because it comes out of their captain's mouth.

If people have this sort of attitude in real life, only Einstiens are supposed to live, rest should be eliminated.

archie mac

International Coach
You don't improve by being flogged game after game. You improve by playing someone a little better, not a 100 times better.

Let them play ODI cricket but not Test cricket they are not good enough. NZ were not that bad they managed a lot of draws early on. What did Aust. do they sent their 2nd 11 to NZ not their best team.

deeps

International 12th Man
ok...except Bangladesh beat Australia a few months back...so they can't be THAT bad can they?

archie mac

International Coach
deeps said:
ok...except Bangladesh beat Australia a few months back...so they can't be THAT bad can they?

Not in Test cricket not even if they had 3 innings and played 22 men.

deeps

International 12th Man
one day cricket is still cricket... and yes, there is a big difference, but i don't think ponting should be harping on about how crap they are, if they have just been beaten in any form.

TIF

U19 Debutant
I have only got 1 thing to say to Ponting -

Code:
ODI # 2250
NatWest Series, 2005, 2nd Match
Australia v Bangladesh
Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
18 June 2005 (50-over match)

[b]Result: Bangladesh won by 5 wickets[/b]

Toss: Australia
Umpires: BF Bowden (NZ) and DR Shepherd
TV Umpire: MR Benson
Match Referee: JJ Crowe (NZ)
Man of the Match: Mohammad Ashraful 

Australia innings (50 overs maximum)                            R   M   B  4 6
+AC Gilchrist         lbw                b Mashrafe Mortaza     0   1   2  0 0
ML Hayden                                b Nazmul Hossain      37  71  50  4 1
*RT Ponting           lbw                b Tapash Baisya        1  21  16  0 0
DR Martyn             c Nafees Iqbal     b Tapash Baisya       77 138 112  2 0
MJ Clarke             c Mashrafe Mortaza b Tapash Baisya       54 100  84  4 0
MEK Hussey            not out                                  31  38  21  5 0
SM Katich             not out                                  36  27  23  4 0
Extras                (lb 3, w 2, nb 8)                        13
Total                 (5 wickets, 50 overs, 205 mins)         249

DNB: GB Hogg, JN Gillespie, MS Kasprowicz, GD McGrath.

FoW: 1-0 (Gilchrist, 0.2 ov), 2-9 (Ponting, 5.2 ov),
     3-57 (Hayden, 15.4 ov), 4-165 (Martyn, 41.4 ov),
     5-183 (Clarke, 43.3 ov).

Bowling                      O      M      R      W
Mashrafe Mortaza            10      2     33      1 (1w)
Tapash Baisya               10      1     69      3 (8nb)
Nazmul Hossain              10      2     65      1
Mohammad Rafique            10      0     31      0 (1w)
Aftab Ahmed                 10      0     48      0

Bangladesh innings (target: 250 runs from 50 overs)             R   M   B  4 6
Javed Omar            c Hayden           b Kasprowicz          19  84  51  3 0
Nafees Iqbal          c Gilchrist        b Gillespie            8  27  21  1 0
Tushar Imran          c Katich           b Hogg                24  35  35  4 0
Mohammad Ashraful     c Hogg             b Gillespie          100 118 101 11 0
*Habibul Bashar       run out (Gillespie)                      47  82  72  3 0
Aftab Ahmed           not out                                  21  28  13  2 1
Mohammad Rafique      not out                                   9  11   7  2 0
Extras                (b 1, lb 11, w 6, nb 4)                  22
Total                 (5 wickets, 49.2 overs, 199 mins)       250

DNB: +Khaled Mashud, Mashrafe Mortaza, Tapash Baisya,
     Nazmul Hossain.

FoW: 1-17 (Nafees Iqbal, 7.1 ov), 2-51 (Tushar Imran, 15.4 ov),
     3-72 (Javed Omar, 20.5 ov), 4-202 (Habibul Bashar, 43.5 ov),
     5-227 (Mohammad Ashraful, 47.1 ov).

Bowling                      O      M      R      W
McGrath                     10      1     43      0 (2nb)
Gillespie                    9.2    1     41      2 (2w)
Kasprowicz                  10      0     40      1 (2nb)
Hogg                         9      0     52      1 (1w)
Clarke                       6      0     38      0 (1w)
Hussey                       5      0     24      0

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting a great batsmen, but he should learn to shut his mouth sometimes, he continues to come out with crap. Bangladesh just beat Australia six months and nearly beat Pakistan in a Test a couple years ago, if it wasn't a for a good innings from Inzi. And will probably win a Test against the Sri Lanka (A) side going over soon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't reckon he should have said it. And I really don't agree with his view that minnows shouldn't play the World Cup. Test cricket I can see, and would like Zimbabwe to go, but minnows in the WC is a must.

Dydl

International Debutant
Ponting "shouldn't be talking" (someone I know said that) as his bat has just been banned...

archie mac

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Ponting a great batsmen, but he should learn to shut his mouth sometimes, he continues to come out with crap. Bangladesh just beat Australia six months and nearly beat Pakistan in a Test a couple years ago, if it wasn't a for a good innings from Inzi. And will probably win a Test against the Sri Lanka (A) side going over soon.
Sri Lankan A do not play Test cricket?

archie mac

International Coach
deeps said:
one day cricket is still cricket... and yes, there is a big difference, but i don't think ponting should be harping on about how crap they are, if they have just been beaten in any form.

I am happy for them to keep their ODI status, but they are not good enough for Test cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
For once, something of sense is coming out of Ponting's mouth, Bangladesh are an embaressment to test match cricket, and boards should be angry that they run the risk of losing money because of their three day test matches.. I think they should be assimilated into a 4-day domestic competition somewhere, if anyone will have them.. Thats how I think they will be able to improve

And maybe if someone who could rub two brain cells together said this, maybe people would listen a bit more?

archie mac

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
For once, something of sense is coming out of Ponting's mouth, Bangladesh are an embaressment to test match cricket, and boards should be angry that they run the risk of losing money because of their three day test matches.. I think they should be assimilated into a 4-day domestic competition somewhere, if anyone will have them.. Thats how I think they will be able to improve
They could play in the pura cup, but I think they would come last, so would be even worse for their confidence. Maybe county cricket?

Langeveldt

Soutie
archie mac said:
They could play in the pura cup, but I think they would come last, so would be even worse for their confidence. Maybe county cricket?
no, they'd come last..

Franchise cricket? No, they'd come last...