Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 182

Thread: Get rid of cricket's minnows - Ponting

  1. #166
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Hasib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    True, but it may be a good thing in the long run. How good can it be for a country and their supporters to be flogged every time they front up?

    ...

    What are the benifits to being crushed game after game?

    Well thats our problem isn't it...not yours. Fact is we still support our team every bit.

    If we were stripped of ODI status a few years back we would have never improved but we were allowed to play and signs of improvement are appearing. Same will happen with Test Cricket with time.

    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    The other thing I do not like is that people are starting to disregard performances against the Bangas and Zims. Things such as

    'His figures look good, but if you remove his achievements against the Bangas, than his ave drops to..."

    Or Wisden is a better bolwer than Lillywhite because he has taken most of his wickets against Test class teams, where as Lillywhite had taken 121 wickets against the Bangas and Zims.

    This can't be good for Test cricket surely
    Thats not our fault its the incompatency of journalists

  2. #167
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,808
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    This can't be good for Test cricket surely
    you hit the nail on the head... and unless there is a dramatic improvement in their performance, those statements are not going to go away and more to the point, will have validity....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

  3. #168
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasib
    Well thats our problem isn't it...not yours. Fact is we still support our team every bit.

    If we were stripped of ODI status a few years back we would have never improved but we were allowed to play and signs of improvement are appearing. Same will happen with Test Cricket with time.



    Thats not our fault its the incompatency of journalists
    Well it is my problem if the game I love is being devalued by sub standard performances by the Bangas. Time seems to be the thing how much time? I think they have always looked a chance if ODI crciket that they could cause an upset, but in Test cricket they are a disgrace.

    I never suggested the supporters did not support their team 100% Just wherther they are good enough
    You know it makes sense.

  4. #169
    State Vice-Captain sirjeremy11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,122
    I still suggest they have a reduced test load, maybe playing one off have place more importance on those one off tests, and maybe spring a surprise or two. They could have this during a one day series, or maybe as part of series where they play first class sides as a warm up/practise match (ie. the "real" part of the tour for them). The other problem for Bangladesh has been getting the back to back hidings. This would help solve that problem as well.
    We will NEVER forgive "Umpire" Ian Robinson


  5. #170
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Well it is my problem if the game I love is being devalued by sub standard performances by the Bangas. Time seems to be the thing how much time? I think they have always looked a chance if ODI crciket that they could cause an upset, but in Test cricket they are a disgrace.

    I never suggested the supporters did not support their team 100% Just wherther they are good enough
    I don't see test cricket being de-valued by playing against Bangladesh.

    There can be positive aspects too,look at last summer when England played 2 tests against them allowing for a 5 test ashes series. We would never have been allowed to play South Africa for 2 tests would we?

  6. #171
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Hasib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Well it is my problem if the game I love is being devalued by sub standard performances by the Bangas. Time seems to be the thing how much time? I think they have always looked a chance if ODI crciket that they could cause an upset, but in Test cricket they are a disgrace.

    And as I said before Bangladesh stuggled in ODIs too but now showing improvement. Same will happen for Test Cricket.

  7. #172
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    I don't see test cricket being de-valued by playing against Bangladesh.

    There can be positive aspects too,look at last summer when England played 2 tests against them allowing for a 5 test ashes series. We would never have been allowed to play South Africa for 2 tests would we?
    True, but we could have had a 6 Test ashes series, and Aust would still have the Ashes.

    I never thought of it before but the Bangas are the reason why we lost the Ashes

  8. #173
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    True, but we could have had a 6 Test ashes series, and Aust would still have the Ashes.

    I never thought of it before but the Bangas are the reason why we lost the Ashes
    So you admit you have a secret aggend here?

    Just wondering,how did we stage ashes series in the past?if you have to fit 7 matches into a summer and 5 of them were for the ashes,did each host country play 2 tests against ZIM or Ban?

  9. #174
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    So you admit you have a secret aggend here?

    Just wondering,how did we stage ashes series in the past?if you have to fit 7 matches into a summer and 5 of them were for the ashes,did each host country play 2 tests against ZIM or Ban?
    Before all of this ICC crap regarding each country playing all other countries, England always played 6 Test summers. Say 3 v India and 3 V NZ but Ashes Tests were 6 match series for a long time.(7 series from memory)

  10. #175
    State Captain Tomm NCCC's Avatar
    Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Papplewick, Nottingham
    Posts
    1,565
    It would be wrong to boot them out of test cricket, cos lets face it, everyon eloves the underdog
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

    The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

    Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

    RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

  11. #176
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Well it is my problem if the game I love is being devalued by sub standard performances by the Bangas.
    With that logic, Ponting shouldn't be allowed to play in India, kumble/Harbhajan shouldn't be allowed to bowl outside the subcontinent and Warne shouldn't be allowed to bowl in India etc etc...

  12. #177
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    With that logic, Ponting shouldn't be allowed to play in India, kumble/Harbhajan shouldn't be allowed to bowl outside the subcontinent and Warne shouldn't be allowed to bowl in India etc etc...
    That's a faulty extrapolation from his argument. Australia can win test matches, or at least make them interesting, in India without Warne and Ponting doing well.
    India can win test matches, or at least make them interesting, outside the subcontinent without Kumble/Harbhajan doing well.


    Tests should not be over in two days. When they do, it should be an exception, and not the rule.

  13. #178
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Well Bangladesh came very close to winning a test match in Pakistan and competed very well in that test series and had Latif not claimed that dropped catch, there was a good chance that BD were going to pull of a win there in Multan.

    And i have a feeling that they are going to give Sri Lanka a run for their money in this coming test series. There is no doubt in my mind that BD are improving well even at the test level.

    Btw - when was the last time a BD test ended within two days ?

  14. #179
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Man of the match tonight with 33 not out at the end and a couple of wickets.
    Yep, make that 2 now.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  15. #180
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    you hit the nail on the head... and unless there is a dramatic improvement in their performance, those statements are not going to go away and more to the point, will have validity....
    They already have validity and always have - anyone taking a match against Bangladesh and post-WC2003 Zimbabwe in the same context as a game between 1 of the top 8 is a fool in extreme.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The better batsman the bettter #3 Ponting vs Dravid
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 452
    Last Post: 18-11-2011, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 28-10-2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  4. South Australian Crickets Don Bradman Medal Night
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •