Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of cricket's minnows - Ponting

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    That is the problem. When WA came into the Sheffield Shield they came in on a restricted basis, the same with Tasi.

I think the ICC are in danger of diluting there product, (Test cricket) just like they have done with ODI. What is wrong with the Bangas playing a lower level of cricket, against A sides? I don't think they would be Aust A in a series at the moment but would be a much better learning curve for them.
    Good point. I think they should be invited to play the A tournament in Aus this year with NZ A, Pak A, Ind A and Aus A. That will give a much better indication of how they are going, as I think a couple of years ago, they still would have lost to those teams.
    We will NEVER forgive "Umpire" Ian Robinson

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjeremy11
    Good point. I think they should be invited to play the A tournament in Aus this year with NZ A, Pak A, Ind A and Aus A. That will give a much better indication of how they are going, as I think a couple of years ago, they still would have lost to those teams.
    It won't happen, imagine if they came last
    You know it makes sense.

It won't happen, imagine if they came last
    They probably would! It would still be a closer contest and they would certainly compete better against them than the full teams.

But you're right. It won't happen.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    That is the problem. When WA came into the Sheffield Shield they came in on a restricted basis, the same with Tasi.

I think the ICC are in danger of diluting there product, (Test cricket) just like they have done with ODI. What is wrong with the Bangas playing a lower level of cricket, against A sides? I don't think they would be Aust A in a series at the moment but would be a much better learning curve for them.
    It would have been. And it's what should happen with Kenya. However, it didn't, and now we must stick with it for reasons you agreed with above. It's not ideal, but it's reality.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind Bangla playing the A sides,but only if they still get to play the big teams once in a while.

I think anyone calling for Bangladesh to be cut completley from test cricket should take a step back and see how important the game is to the people in their country. They are cricket mad over there and they deserve every succes and oppurtunity they get.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    I wouldn't mind Bangla playing the A sides,but only if they still get to play the big teams once in a while.

I think anyone calling for Bangladesh to be cut completley from test cricket should take a step back and see how important the game is to the people in their country. They are cricket mad over there and they deserve every succes and oppurtunity they get.
    That's how important it is...
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    It would have been. And it's what should happen with Kenya. However, it didn't, and now we must stick with it for reasons you agreed with above. It's not ideal, but it's reality.

Yes but I still think they could restrict their itinerary, and not have them playing Aust, England, ****, India, Sth Afr as much/at all.

This from former CEO of the ACB written in 2003, what has changed?

'As harsh as it may seem, I would ask Zimbabwe and Bangladesh if they seriously want to persist with Test match status. I would ask if they would prefer to concentrate on one-day international crciket and help strengthen their local structure. How long must such countries wander in the Test wilderness, being uncompetitive and losing face with their fans?'

'As harsh as it may seem, I would ask Zimbabwe and Bangladesh if they seriously want to persist with Test match status. I would ask if they would prefer to concentrate on one-day international crciket and help strengthen their local structure. How long must such countries wander in the Test wilderness, being uncompetitive and losing face with their fans?'
    What do you reckon they're fans would want more?To see them play ODI cricket,or test match cricket?

They may lose a lot,but the Bangladeshi fans still belive in they're side,and i think it's too importnat for them to cancel Bangladesh's test status.

What do you reckon they're fans would want more?To see them play ODI cricket,or test match cricket?

They may lose a lot,but the Bangladeshi fans still belive in they're side,and i think it's too importnat for them to cancel Bangladesh's test status.
    Yeah I guess so. They just keep holding out for hope as their expectations are not too high at all, then celebrate wildly when the good stuff happens.

I would not want to speak for their fans, do we have anyone from Bangladesh on this forum?

I would not want to speak for their fans, do we have anyone from Bangladesh on this forum?
    I would still say there are a lot of Bangladesh fans around, even if they are not from Bangladesh. We all just want to see them start to compete.

I'm pretty sure that they're pretty keen to play test cricket,look at what happens every time they win.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Yes but I still think they could restrict their itinerary, and not have them playing Aust, England, ****, India, Sth Afr as much/at all.

This from former CEO of the ACB written in 2003, what has changed?

What's changed is that Bangladesh are now winning the odd (one day) game against other test-playing nations - and I'm confident that the frequency of such an occurrence will continue to increase. This has to be reflected in an improvement in their fortunes in 'proper' cricket though.

The other thing I do not like is that people are starting to disregard performances against the Bangas and Zims. Things such as

'His figures look good, but if you remove his achievements against the Bangas, than his ave drops to..."

Or Wisden is a better bolwer than Lillywhite because he has taken most of his wickets against Test class teams, where as Lillywhite had taken 121 wickets against the Bangas and Zims.

This can't be good for Test cricket surely

Are we agreed that they should keep full ODI status, but should play a restricted Test match program, with the occasional one off match against the top 5 countries?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    What's changed is that Bangladesh are now winning the odd (one day) game against other test-playing nations - and I'm confident that the frequency of such an occurrence will continue to increase. This has to be reflected in an improvement in their fortunes in 'proper' cricket though.
    that is the most important point.....their frequency of winning one day matches and occasionally beating a top team is certainly on the rise (they have won 8 of their last 50 as opposed to 3 of their first 64), but unless that translates into occasional test success as well, they still wouldn't be validating their "test team" status....and a series victory over an utterly depleted zimbabwe just doesn't count....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information