• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

could India break up?

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
with its huge population,economic growth and increasing financial domination of cricket will India in the very long run continue to play as just one country.
so many people to share so little cricket.
As the nation gets richer it would seem natural at some point to do a west Indies in reverse

They are now shunning minnows and seek to play more regularly against money-making opponents such as Australia and England but there would probably also be massive financial gain from an "indian derby"

I must admit to not knowing much about India, so I woudnt know which or how many regions that could naturally act as "nations" but would it be bad for cricket if 3-4-5 new test teams arrived through this?

Britain already do this in football and rugby with scotland and wales, and though its basically irrelevant in cricket, Britiain will send 2 teams to the cricket world cup.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
swede said:
with its huge population,economic growth and increasing financial domination of cricket will India in the very long run continue to play as just one country.
so many people to share so little cricket.
As the nation gets richer it would seem natural at some point to do a west Indies in reverse

They are now shunning minnows and seek to play more regularly against money-making opponents such as Australia and England but there would probably also be massive financial gain from an "indian derby"

I must admit to not knowing much about India, so I woudnt know which or how many regions that could naturally act as "nations" but would it be bad for cricket if 3-4-5 new test teams arrived through this?

Britain already do this in football and rugby with scotland and wales, and though its basically irrelevant in cricket, Britiain will send 2 teams to the cricket world cup.
It's a completely different concept! Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all countries in their own right. India, as big as it may be, is one country, and the suggestion that it could be split up for cricketing purposes is ludicrous. If it's not split up politically like Britain is, why split it up for cricket purposes? 8-)

And if India were to be split up at international level, what the hell would be the point in Indian domestic cricket?!? :blink:

C_C

International Captain
Dont think this would happen anytime in the future.
Most inter-regional stuff in India is restricted to petty political rivalries and as such, notions of 'Mumbai vs Kolkata' doesnt strike a deep enough chord for people to bother. Just about the biggest dispute in the Indian domestic scene was the sharing of the Kaveri river water between TN and Karnataka...and it barely got a murmur from anyone outside the farming sector ( and even then, a rather low % of farmers from those two states said anything)...
Which is why domestic cricket is shunned in IND ( and what you are projecting is essentially a massive growth in domestic cricket) and most of it is followed in 'who is doing well enough to be the next prospect for India/deserves a chance for India' mentality rather than 'awwright...c'mon Bengal...kick UP's ****' stuff...

danish

U19 12th Man
Jono said:
Man our bowling would really be shocking then. :p
Its a tribute to how well spread India's batting is around the country, but India's batting would also suck if it was broken up.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barney Rubble said:
It's a completely different concept! Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all countries in their own right. India, as big as it may be, is one country, and the suggestion that it could be split up for cricketing purposes is ludicrous. If it's not split up politically like Britain is, why split it up for cricket purposes? 8-)

And if India were to be split up at international level, what the hell would be the point in Indian domestic cricket?!? :blink:
Its hardly a completly different concept. Scotland,wales, NI arent countries in their own right to the extent that they participate in the olympics.

In fact all major sports in the UK are organised differently on this issue.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
C_C said:
Dont think this would happen anytime in the future.
Most inter-regional stuff in India is restricted to petty political rivalries and as such, notions of 'Mumbai vs Kolkata' doesnt strike a deep enough chord for people to bother. Just about the biggest dispute in the Indian domestic scene was the sharing of the Kaveri river water between TN and Karnataka...and it barely got a murmur from anyone outside the farming sector ( and even then, a rather low % of farmers from those two states said anything)...
Which is why domestic cricket is shunned in IND ( and what you are projecting is essentially a massive growth in domestic cricket) and most of it is followed in 'who is doing well enough to be the next prospect for India/deserves a chance for India' mentality rather than 'awwright...c'mon Bengal...kick UP's ****' stuff...
well, ok I just thought there would be more of a natural rivalry given some of the things that happen and with different languages and such.

I was also not talking about the present but well into the future. Especially as India gets richer I would expect regions to be upset at having no players in the team or staging no tests for several years etc.
A region of 100 million people would on average have one player in the team and go years without tests. seems extraordinary

NavjotSidhu

Cricket Spectator
This will never happen, first of all its usually the same teams that do well in the Ranji Cup and its not like each team is really full of stars that they could form a test quality team. Second, when I visited India I was talking to my cousin about whether he supported the Punjab cricket team (thats where he lived) he said he didn't really follow them too much and that he was way more interested in the Indian national team. The cricket team is one of the things that brings all Indians no matter what race or religion they are together as one, so this division will never happen. Politicians want to keep India together and by having seperate teams it could spark off troubles. India is not like Britain, if you ask English, Scottish or Welsh people what their nationality is I can guarantee very few will say British, they will most likely say English, Scottish or Welsh. Now in India if you ask someone in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh or Bombay what their nationality is they will all say Indian.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
NavjotSidhu said:
This will never happen, first of all its usually the same teams that do well in the Ranji Cup and its not like each team is really full of stars that they could form a test quality team. Second, when I visited India I was talking to my cousin about whether he supported the Punjab cricket team (thats where he lived) he said he didn't really follow them too much and that he was way more interested in the Indian national team. The cricket team is one of the things that brings all Indians no matter what race or religion they are together as one, so this division will never happen. Politicians want to keep India together and by having seperate teams it could spark off troubles. India is not like Britain, if you ask English, Scottish or Welsh people what their nationality is I can guarantee very few will say British, they will most likely say English, Scottish or Welsh. Now in India if you ask someone in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh or Bombay what their nationality is they will all say Indian.
ok, you are probably right then. I dont know much about it. I would say, though, that few brits find it difficult to be both scottish and british.

Its just incredible that India is the size of more than 50 Australia´s and if, in the future, it becomes equally rich and able to offer opportunities for all its citizens, well there would be a simply enormous talent pool with nowhere to go, while the few who make it will earn almost billions.
Compared to football it would be like the 2 leading continents of that sport, europe and south america, to field just one team.

But perhaps it will just lead to increasing interest in domestic cricket as it is.

Staggeringly, they would need some 400 first class domestic teams for all players to have the same chance of playing first class cricket as in England or Australia.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ok, you are probably right then. I dont know much about it. I would say, though, that few brits find it difficult to be both scottish and british.

Its just incredible that India is the size of more than 50 Australia´s and if, in the future, it becomes equally rich and able to offer opportunities for all its citizens, well there would be a simply enormous talent pool with nowhere to go, while the few who make it will earn almost billions.
Compared to football it would be like the 2 leading continents of that sport, europe and south america, to field just one team.

But perhaps it will just lead to increasing interest in domestic cricket as it is.

Staggeringly, they would need some 400 first class domestic teams for all players to have the same chance of playing first class cricket as in England or Australia.
I think thats a little bit misleading. The actual talent pool for Indian sports is much smaller than the total population. In fact, its probably about the same size as Australia or England.

Most people in India are poor and don't have the opportunities. I know that when I was growing up, it was a tennis ball and thats it. There were several people I grew up with, that were amazing cricketers but they will never get a shot, as its very hard to be 'found'. I am not saying they were international standard cricketers, but they might have competed for Ranji trophy spots. You either have to goto a rich academy, or have some connections to pretty much even get a chance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
swede said:
well, ok I just thought there would be more of a natural rivalry given some of the things that happen and with different languages and such.
That is interesting. From what I've gathered from cricket fans (and they generally have to be pretty dedicated cricket fans rather than just casual ones), the inter-state rivalry on the domestic scene here in Australia is much stronger than in India. Granted its no ratings-beast where everyone tunes in for one-day domestic games or flocks to the first class matches, but there is some rivalry among cricket fans rather than it being just about who is a future international player on the domestic scene. And no matter what the Aussies fans on here say, there are levels (varying mind you) of state bias from fans as to who they want to play for Australia. :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
It's a completely different concept! Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all countries in their own right. :
Aaaagh!!! It really annoys me when you get people who think they are proper sovereign "countries"!! Have you ever seen a scottish passport? No! It's an autonomous region, governed from London but with a certain degree of independance.. Its odd that pretty much everyone says the wrong thing here when asked what country they are from (UK if you are being picky like I am)

It's akin to Texans thinking they have their own country, or Queensland being a country..

Last edited:

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
silentstriker said:
I think thats a little bit misleading. The actual talent pool for Indian sports is much smaller than the total population. In fact, its probably about the same size as Australia or England.

Most people in India are poor and don't have the opportunities. I know that when I was growing up, it was a tennis ball and thats it. There were several people I grew up with, that were amazing cricketers but they will never get a shot, as its very hard to be 'found'. I am not saying they were international standard cricketers, but they might have competed for Ranji trophy spots. You either have to goto a rich academy, or have some connections to pretty much even get a chance.
thats exactly my point. I wasnt talking about the present.

the point of the thread was what might happen when India is no longer poor and the talent pool quite possibly becomes gigantic.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Aaaagh!!! It really annoys me when you get people who think they are proper sovereign "countries"!! Have you ever seen a scottish passport? No! It's an autonomous region, governed from London but with a certain degree of independance.. Its odd that pretty much everyone says the wrong thing here when asked what country they are from (UK if you are being picky like I am)
It's not the Scots' or the Welsh's fault that English liked invading places and happen to be control freaks. By your argument, when India, Australia and South Africa, etc. were part of the British Empire, they had no right to be called countries, as they were governed by the British.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:

It's akin to Texans thinking they have their own country, or Queensland being a country..
Scotland have their own Parliament though. They're certainly more independent than any of the regions in India, that's for sure....you'd not get Uttar Pradesh competing in the Asian Games, whereas Scotland compete in the Commonwealth Games IIRC.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Scotland have their own Parliament though. They're certainly more independent than any of the regions in India, that's for sure....you'd not get Uttar Pradesh competing in the Asian Games, whereas Scotland compete in the Commonwealth Games IIRC.
Scotland was only allowed to even vote to have their own parliament in 1997, after 290 years of English rule, but in effect, England still rules Scotland. The Scottish Parliament is not a sovereign authority, and the UK Parliament could, in theory, overrule or even abolish it at any time. (thanks to wiki for that last sentence)
As for the Commonwealth games, they started as the British empire games, which Scotland has been a part of since bloody 1707.

TIF

U19 Debutant
There was some talk earlier of South having their own team in international cricket considering how unfairly the cricketers from South are treated during Indian team selection. Now if that were to come off, we might be seeing the following teams playing -

India -

Sehwag
Gambhir
Tendulkar
Yuvraj
Kaif(c)
Raina
Dhoni(w)
Pathan
Harbhajan
Zaheer
RP Singh

South -

Sriram
Uthappa
Dravid
Laxman
Venugopal
Badrinath
Dinesh Kartik(w)
Kumble
Murali Kartik - Although he plays for Railways, but he is originally a Tamil and will be eligible for South.
Balaji
Sree Santh

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:

Scotland,Wales and England are completely different countries!!!!!!!

How can anyone say different,have you ever been to Wales or Scotland on holiday??It's a different place entirely!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Scotland,Wales and England are completely different countries!!!!!!!

How can anyone say different,have you ever been to Wales or Scotland on holiday??It's a different place entirely!
Not really. Most major British cities, be it London, Liverpool, Glasgow, Cardiff or Birmingham are the basically the same except with different accents. From what I've seen (which, admittedly, isn't a hell of a lot), Wales is basically an extention of England. Scotland is more different once you get away from Lanarkshire and Midlothian, but not as much as, say, the difference between England and France, which isn't far away, either.