• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC drop "Super"-Sub

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
This is the best thing ICC have done for awhile. Even though it was their fault the thing was there in the first place. I still think it would have been a waste of time if they had it after the toss.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well for me if they changed the rule to after the toss, it would make things much better. But they are scrapping it, they may as well scrap the power-plays as well since that is stupid...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They haven't done it yet, have they? I've heard that they were going to propose it be dropped, which almost certainly means it will be, but hasn't been yet. Good move though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not so - you name 12, you toss, you name 11 had it's merits.
Evidently wasn't what Dave Richardson and the team had in mind, though...
Still - probably better that it's been scrapped at the first available opportunity. I think it ran the danger of reducing the popularity of ODIs.
Good that ICC, for once, had the sense to abandon something before it became an especially large problem... ala Zimbabwe and many other things.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
They haven't done it yet, have they? I've heard that they were going to propose it be dropped, which almost certainly means it will be, but hasn't been yet. Good move though.
It was proposed - it was seconded.
It will now happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WR the PowerPlays - the things are a better idea than many that have been discussed with field-placings, but they're never going to work with the current unimaginative use.
Waiting for PowerPlays has profited on several of the rare occasions captains have waited for them.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I agree that the Powerplays could have been used so much better, but it just seemed that the international teams thought that both new rules were fairly useless.

THis is bad news for India, as India had taken maximum advantage of this rule.Now India will have to come up with a good allrounder who can be the fifth bowler in the od team

simmy

International Regular
It was an awful idea from the outset IMO.

I think cricket should remain 11 men v 11 men, not with the addition of which team can use their substitute better.

I'm all for this exciting rule, as for one it favours India.

India should voice its strong opposition to ICC , and shouldn't let this great rule be dropped:@

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
hindmaatujesalam said:
I'm all for this exciting rule, as for one it favours India.

India should voice its strong opposition to ICC , and shouldn't let this great rule be dropped:@
I think India should just find themselves a decent all rounder. Come on, take away the fact that this rule benefits the team you obviously support and see that it was god awful.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Yay, the ICC doing something right?

Maybe they could go the whole hog, get rid of powerplays, and then Zimbabwe!
yep that would be very good..

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Yay, the ICC doing something right?

Maybe they could go the whole hog, get rid of powerplays, and then Zimbabwe!
To be honest, I thought they should completely get rid of Zimbabwe, but then I saw that the u19 did ok, and that made me realise that if ZC could sort their s//t out then they could actually be competetive. Sad that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
sirjeremy11 said:
To be honest, I thought they should completely get rid of Zimbabwe, but then I saw that the u19 did ok, and that made me realise that if ZC could sort their s//t out then they could actually be competetive. Sad that.
yeh agreed, well I'd hate to see Zimbabwean cricket die altogether because I've always been really fond of it, but they cant go on playing internationals..

Must be a weird feeling being part of a successful U19 setup and knowing you have sod all chance of good international cricket.. I hope a few of them go to SA and play franchise cricket because they have some talented players..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best news I've heard all day. I'm so glad the World Cup will be without this rule. :)

adharcric

International Coach
Good. This won't hurt India as much these days. Pathan and Dhoni are batting like batsmen, Powar and Agarkar can also contribute. Munaf Patel, Pravin Kumar, Joginder Sharma, Piyush Chawla should break into the team soon.

archie mac

International Coach
I never like the super sub to be honest.

I think with the power plays they should let the batting team select when one of the power plays take place.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Best news I've heard all day. I'm so glad the World Cup will be without this rule. :)
Yes. Hopefully we can forget this ever happened. Sort of like that episode of the Simpsons where Principal Skinner was actually Armand Tanzerian.