Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Chris Cairns moments

Best and Worst Chris Cairns moments

OK all, with Cairnsy having his last hurrah in the Twenty20 match against the Windies, I thought it would be interesting to put together your favourite (and least favourite) Chris Cairns moments.

BEST: 102* vs RSA at the Gabba. Better paced innings then the one vs India at Champions trophy. And better bowling attack. Plus, against India, you always felt we could still get the runs. In the RSA game, I thought we were shot.

WORST: Popping his calf against South Africa, watching him hobble down the pitch, get run out, and then fall over. I said at that moment "Well, we have no hope at the World Cup now". He played anyway. And we still got knocked out.
    We will NEVER forgive "Umpire" Ian Robinson

International Vice-Captain 33/3from3.3's Avatar
    I'd say his last state sheild game might be quite up there
    Maria - Due December

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    "So this is what it feels like to be on top of a batsmen".
    RIP Fardin Qayummi - 15th April 2006

Tim
    Worst moment: 1995/1996 tour of the West Indies.
    Best moment: 2000/2001 ICC Trophy hundred.

Best: The straight drive for six over square leg off Shane Warne at the Basin Reserve I think it was. Unbelievable.

Worst: The (59 I think?) tests he missed through injury.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    Best: The straight drive for six over square leg off Shane Warne at the Basin Reserve I think it was. Unbelievable.
    He did it at Westpac Trust Bank Sedden Park as well.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    The best innings was undoubtedly for me was his 100 against RSA. Amazing innings to give us a win.

The best hit I remember was against the Aussies. Shane Warne was bowling and he bowled one outside leg. Cairn changes his stance so he's facing square leg, and straight drives it for six over square leg's head. Awesome hit.

The worst I think was when Glenn Turner was coaching during the 95/96 Windies tour. Pretty horrible for Adam Parore too.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan
    The best hit I remember was against the Aussies. Shane Warne was bowling and he bowled one outside leg. Cairn changes his stance so he's facing square leg, and straight drives it for six over square leg's head. Awesome hit.
    Wait.. how is it possible to straight drive someone over square leg?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Wait.. how is it possible to straight drive someone over square leg?
    'Cos he changed his stance so he was facing square leg. It was like a straight drive, just, err, not straight.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan
    'Cos he changed his stance so he was facing square leg. It was like a straight drive, just, err, not straight.
    So he switched to a left-hander's stance? That's the only way he could "straight drive over square leg" as far as I can imagine it. In that case, it would have been over point, wouldn't it?

LOL I remember that. That was freakish!
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

So he switched to a left-hander's stance? That's the only way he could "straight drive over square leg" as far as I can imagine it. In that case, it would have been over point, wouldn't it?
    Oh wait... I just got an image in my head... my image pictures it more like a hoik than a straight drive though...

Shot of the century?

Oh wait... I just got an image in my head... my image pictures it more like a hoik than a straight drive though...

Shot of the century?
    He didn't change to a left handed stance. You know your normal batting stance, side on with your front foot pointing straight (or towards the bowler)? After Warne bowled the ball, Cairns saw it and quickly changed his stance so that he was with his front foot pointing towards square leg, as if square leg was bowling to him. He then drove the ball over square leg.

Hard to describe, but it was a magnificient shot and you have to see it to understand what I'm talking about.

Shot of the century?
    All your sarcism aside....It probably was one of the shots of the century. Certainly Shane Warne and other aussies like Micheal Slater still rave about to this day. Just because you didn't see it doesn't detract from the brilliance of the shot

And what about smashing Warne into the River Tariff in Cardiff in the '99WC?

Maybe we should rename the thread - "Favourite Chris Cairns sixes off an Australian bowler".

Then we would do one for his dad but a lot of people on here AFAIK wouldn't have seen his old man play.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Another great six was at The Oval in 1999, a straight drive over the sightscreen. Richie Benaud "that's big...that's up here!"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information