• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst Chris Cairns moments

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
OK all, with Cairnsy having his last hurrah in the Twenty20 match against the Windies, I thought it would be interesting to put together your favourite (and least favourite) Chris Cairns moments.

BEST: 102* vs RSA at the Gabba. Better paced innings then the one vs India at Champions trophy. And better bowling attack. Plus, against India, you always felt we could still get the runs. In the RSA game, I thought we were shot.

WORST: Popping his calf against South Africa, watching him hobble down the pitch, get run out, and then fall over. I said at that moment "Well, we have no hope at the World Cup now". He played anyway. And we still got knocked out.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Worst moment: 1995/1996 tour of the West Indies.
Best moment: 2000/2001 ICC Trophy hundred.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best: The straight drive for six over square leg off Shane Warne at the Basin Reserve I think it was. Unbelievable.

Worst: The (59 I think?) tests he missed through injury.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
Best: The straight drive for six over square leg off Shane Warne at the Basin Reserve I think it was. Unbelievable.
He did it at Westpac Trust Bank Sedden Park as well.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
The best innings was undoubtedly for me was his 100 against RSA. Amazing innings to give us a win.

The best hit I remember was against the Aussies. Shane Warne was bowling and he bowled one outside leg. Cairn changes his stance so he's facing square leg, and straight drives it for six over square leg's head. Awesome hit.

The worst I think was when Glenn Turner was coaching during the 95/96 Windies tour. Pretty horrible for Adam Parore too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

BlackCap_Fan said:
The best hit I remember was against the Aussies. Shane Warne was bowling and he bowled one outside leg. Cairn changes his stance so he's facing square leg, and straight drives it for six over square leg's head. Awesome hit.
Wait.. how is it possible to straight drive someone over square leg?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Wait.. how is it possible to straight drive someone over square leg?
'Cos he changed his stance so he was facing square leg. It was like a straight drive, just, err, not straight.

Mr Mxyzptlk

BlackCap_Fan said:
'Cos he changed his stance so he was facing square leg. It was like a straight drive, just, err, not straight.
So he switched to a left-hander's stance? That's the only way he could "straight drive over square leg" as far as I can imagine it. In that case, it would have been over point, wouldn't it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So he switched to a left-hander's stance? That's the only way he could "straight drive over square leg" as far as I can imagine it. In that case, it would have been over point, wouldn't it?
Oh wait... I just got an image in my head... my image pictures it more like a hoik than a straight drive though...

Shot of the century?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Oh wait... I just got an image in my head... my image pictures it more like a hoik than a straight drive though...

Shot of the century?
He didn't change to a left handed stance. You know your normal batting stance, side on with your front foot pointing straight (or towards the bowler)? After Warne bowled the ball, Cairns saw it and quickly changed his stance so that he was with his front foot pointing towards square leg, as if square leg was bowling to him. He then drove the ball over square leg.

Hard to describe, but it was a magnificient shot and you have to see it to understand what I'm talking about.

Zinzan

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Shot of the century?
All your sarcism aside....It probably was one of the shots of the century. Certainly Shane Warne and other aussies like Micheal Slater still rave about to this day. Just because you didn't see it doesn't detract from the brilliance of the shot:laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
And what about smashing Warne into the River Tariff in Cardiff in the '99WC?

Maybe we should rename the thread - "Favourite Chris Cairns sixes off an Australian bowler".

Then we would do one for his dad but a lot of people on here AFAIK wouldn't have seen his old man play.

_Ed_

Another great six was at The Oval in 1999, a straight drive over the sightscreen. Richie Benaud "that's big...that's up here!" :laugh:

Zinzan

Craig said:
And what about smashing Warne into the River Tariff in Cardiff in the '99WC?

Maybe we should rename the thread - "Favourite Chris Cairns sixes off an Australian bowler".

Then we would do one for his dad but a lot of people on here AFAIK wouldn't have seen his old man play.
Yeah, whilst his Dad wasn't as skilled an allround batsmen as chris (in fact not even close), he could hit the ball even further than Chris IMO. In fact to this day, I've never seen a "bigger hitter" of a cricker ball than Lance Cairns, Afridi,richards, and symonds included. I should note, I never saw Sobers.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
His best moment for me was when NZ were about to lose a series 3-0 and they're 9 down in the second innings with ten overs left. Cairnes faced five great Shane Warne overs and led NZ to a tie. In fact a lot of his best moments were against Warne.

Cairnes himself has said that primed Shane Warne circa 1993-1997 was the best bowler he'd ever faced. So I think his success against him shows his champion quality.

Zinzan

Francis said:
His best moment for me was when NZ were about to lose a series 3-0 and they're 9 down in the second innings with ten overs left. Cairnes faced five great Shane Warne overs and led NZ to a tie. In fact a lot of his best moments were against Warne.

Cairnes himself has said that primed Shane Warne circa 1993-1997 was the best bowler he'd ever faced. So I think his success against him shows his champion quality.
I don't recall that? was it a test and if so, then u must mean a draw, given there have only even been 2 tied test in cricket history. I don't think you are correct. Can you post the scorecard from cricinfo achives?

Mr Mxyzptlk

zinzan12 said:
All your sarcism aside....It probably was one of the shots of the century. Certainly Shane Warne and other aussies like Micheal Slater still rave about to this day. Just because you didn't see it doesn't detract from the brilliance of the shot:laugh:
When did I deny the brilliance of the shot? I was serious when I suggested it might have been the shot of the century.