• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst Chris Cairns moments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Granted, no one actually knows what Sarwan said about McGrath's wife. He may have called her fat. It may have been much worse however. My point is that we don't know whether he made fun of her illness at all, but had the Australians done the choo-choo act, it was absolutely clear what they would have been targeting.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cairns has denied the "choo choo" sledge. But things could change now that he's off the field.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Cairns has denied the "choo choo" sledge. But things could change now that he's off the field.
I hope not. That would be almost as bad as if the South Africans said it to Bruce Blair after the Tangiwai disaster. Love to know where the story came from though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

sirjeremy11 said:
I hope not. That would be almost as bad as if the South Africans said it to Bruce Blair after the Tangiwai disaster. Love to know where the story came from though.
I too hope he doesn't change his tune now. It's really in the past now, and nothing is accomplished by digging it up again. I'd lose a lot of respect for Cairns if he went on to confim the rumour now, even if it was true in the first place.

Blaze

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I too hope he doesn't change his tune now. It's really in the past now, and nothing is accomplished by digging it up again. I'd lose a lot of respect for Cairns if he went on to confim the rumour now, even if it was true in the first place.

I don't think he will, what would be the point?

It's funny how he played last night and tomorrow he will be commentating at the first ODI. A very quick turn around.

The NZ commentary team needs a big shake up IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Granted, no one actually knows what Sarwan said about McGrath's wife. He may have called her fat. It may have been much worse however. My point is that we don't know whether he made fun of her illness at all, but had the Australians done the choo-choo act, it was absolutely clear what they would have been targeting.
I thought he just said "dunno, ask your wife" when McGrath asked him if Lara was good in bed?
Just mentioning her, it's clear what he meant, that's the point. But equally, as I've said so many times, I can't imagine McGrath's never said something worse.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
I don't think he will, what would be the point?

It's funny how he played last night and tomorrow he will be commentating at the first ODI. A very quick turn around.

The NZ commentary team needs a big shake up IMO.
Michael Atherton and Michael Slater were both commentating while still playing. Indeed, Slater was hoping and expecting to be still playing for another 4 or 5 seasons.
Richie Benaud, for that matter, started commentating while still playing.

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
Michael Atherton and Michael Slater were both commentating while still playing. Indeed, Slater was hoping and expecting to be still playing for another 4 or 5 seasons.
Richie Benaud, for that matter, started commentating while still playing.

I think it's fine unless the person in question cannot criticise his former team mates because they are still too close to the team. (like Ian Healy in Australia)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed.
That's a very important consideration for both commentators and selectors.
And it's something Stephen Waugh touched on.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Oh wait... I just got an image in my head... my image pictures it more like a hoik than a straight drive though...

Shot of the century?
if it was, then you'd be just as fascinated by the fact that marlon samuels pulled it off on the tour to india not long after that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't care if Mrs McGrath is blue with green spots, I lose sympathy for anyone in Glenn's position who comes up with sledges like he does.. If you dish it out and all that..

Its also a pretty serious slur to be linked to homosexuality in the caribbean IIRC..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
I thought he just said "dunno, ask your wife" when McGrath asked him if Lara was good in bed?
Just mentioning her, it's clear what he meant, that's the point. But equally, as I've said so many times, I can't imagine McGrath's never said something worse.
I thought McGrath had been fired up from other comments. I think he was well within bounds to respond in that manner if that was the only reference he made to McGrath's wife. Perhaps insensitive in retrospect, but McGrath was really on the hunt to be insulted and it was a blow for blow situation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
if it was, then you'd be just as fascinated by the fact that marlon samuels pulled it off on the tour to india not long after that.
Ok, I have absolutely no memory of that. Was that during his Test ton or his ODI ton? Bowler?

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
it was in the last ODI but im afraid i cant remember who the bowler was.....
Would've been his maiden ODI ton mefinks. Lawson bowled with superb pace and impact in that match.

tooextracool

International Coach
looking at the scorecard, i would think that the 6 came off virendar sehwag. it was definetly of a spinner and it would have been quite an ambitious shot if he went against the spin of murali karthik in attempting that shot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
looking at the scorecard, i would think that the 6 came off virendar sehwag. it was definetly of a spinner and it would have been quite an ambitious shot if he went against the spin of murali karthik in attempting that shot.
Which would mean that Cairns shot was better, as he did go against the spin.

tooextracool

International Coach
possibly, but there isnt much doubt that cairns was not only the better batsman(compared to samuels) but also one of the most talented players of the last decade.