• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst Chris Cairns moments

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
And what about smashing Warne into the River Tariff in Cardiff in the '99WC?

Maybe we should rename the thread - "Favourite Chris Cairns sixes off an Australian bowler".

Then we would do one for his dad but a lot of people on here AFAIK wouldn't have seen his old man play.
That'd be the River Taff. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sirjeremy11 said:
OK all, with Cairnsy having his last hurrah in the Twenty20 match against the Windies, I thought it would be interesting to put together your favourite (and least favourite) Chris Cairns moments.

BEST: 102* vs RSA at the Gabba. Better paced innings then the one vs India at Champions trophy. And better bowling attack. Plus, against India, you always felt we could still get the runs. In the RSA game, I thought we were shot.

WORST: Popping his calf against South Africa, watching him hobble down the pitch, get run out, and then fall over. I said at that moment "Well, we have no hope at the World Cup now". He played anyway. And we still got knocked out.
It's fairly obvious that Cairns' most proud moment was castling Sadagoppan Ramesh for 5 during India's short run-chase at the picturesque Green Park for The Second Test 1999\2000.
Who can remember why? And who can remember what he followed it with?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It's fairly obvious that Cairns' most proud moment was castling Sadagoppan Ramesh for 5 during India's short run-chase at the picturesque Green Park for The Second Test 1999\2000.
Who can remember why? And who can remember what he followed it with?
No it's not. Otherwise there wouldn't be a quiz question attached asking us to work it out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where is there a quiz-question asking the moment he was most proud of? What is being asked is best and worst moments - ie what each member remembers him most fondly for, and what they remember him least fondly for.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The wickets of Graham Thorpe & Chris Read during the 99 test series in England were brilliant as well.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
The wickets of Graham Thorpe & Chris Read during the 99 test series in England were brilliant as well.
Oh yes! Chris Read. That was just plain embarrassing. Damn, I forgot about that!

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Francis said:
His best moment for me was when NZ were about to lose a series 3-0 and they're 9 down in the second innings with ten overs left. Cairnes faced five great Shane Warne overs and led NZ to a tie. In fact a lot of his best moments were against Warne.

Cairnes himself has said that primed Shane Warne circa 1993-1997 was the best bowler he'd ever faced. So I think his success against him shows his champion quality.
Sorry, I think you may be wrong and I think the game may be this one...
http://nz.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1997-98/NZ_IN_AUS/NZ_AUS_T3_27NOV-01DEC1997.html

It was Doull and O'Connor that batted out those ten overs and got us a draw.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
Best: The straight drive for six over square leg off Shane Warne at the Basin Reserve I think it was. Unbelievable.
haha, one of the best things i've seen in cricket, i would never forget that, Warne's reaction also is unforgettable..

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Also nice to hear the good things that Warne had to say about Cairns on Radio Sport last week. Basically said the guy was irreplaceable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And of course he had such tremendous respect for him when joining-in those disgraceful "choo-choo-choo" jibes?
(When the Australians decided to remind Cairns of how his sister was killed in a train-crash)

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
And of course he had such tremendous respect for him when joining-in those disgraceful "choo-choo-choo" jibes?
(When the Australians decided to remind Cairns of how his sister was killed in a train-crash)
That never happened. It was a rumor that Cairns fully denied in his book. I wouldn't have expected someone like you to believe it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really?
Where did the rumours start?
I'm delighted if it didn't happen, absolutely delighted, because it would've been pure disgrace if it did, but if Cairns never mentioned it who did?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Really?
I'm delighted if it didn't happen, absolutely delighted, because it would've been pure disgrace if it did, but if Cairns never mentioned it who did?
Dunno, but I know Steve Waugh feverently denied it in his book.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Really?
Yeah, heard many a time that was untrue after I heard it was true. That would have been the lowest sledge of all time (unless Sarwan did say something about McGrath's wife). I'm glad Steve Waugh said it never happened. If that had happened, it would have been enough to make one sick.

Have to say, the quality of the 20/20 game might put it near the top of the "worst" list. Great that it was close, but some of the cricket :wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sirjeremy11 said:
Yeah, heard many a time that was untrue after I heard it was true. That would have been the lowest sledge of all time (unless Sarwan did say something about McGrath's wife). I'm glad Steve Waugh said it never happened. If that had happened, it would have been enough to make one sick.
Of course Sarwan said something about McGrath's wife, and of course it was disgraceful. But I hardly think McGrath has never said something similar, nor Hayden, Langer and the rest.
And given that Sarwan did say something, I still don't feel it would've been worse than had someone said something about Cairns. McGrath's wife was merely ill - Carins had actually already lost his sister.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Of course Sarwan said something about McGrath's wife, and of course it was disgraceful. But I hardly think McGrath has never said something similar, nor Hayden, Langer and the rest.
And given that Sarwan did say something, I still don't feel it would've been worse than had someone said something about Cairns. McGrath's wife was merely ill - Carins had actually already lost his sister.
Yes, but she was fairly ill! Cancer is not the kindset of diseases. I am just glad they didn't say anything about Cairns' sister.

It's hardly comparative to McGrath's "Why are you so fat?" call to Eddo Brandes. That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Especially when said with an accent. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like I say - what Sarwan said was deplorable, but I simply cannot believe McGrath and the rest of the Australian side has not said similar things, alongside his "why are you so fat" like stuff.
I mean, Graham Thorpe would beyond all question have been greeted by "how're the kids, Thorpey?" had he toured in 2002\03, which is IMO beyond belief, especially given how high-profile his custody-battle was.