• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Will I be Famous?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Uuh... Liam Plunkett.
Nice enough chappie in the u9s, but hardly seems comparable to the man who, 11 years later, has become a Test and ODI player.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I played a season or two with both Mark Richardson and Brendon McCullum. Rigor is great value on and off the field - fun to have a few beers with and always keep to help out with others. Brendon was a bit immature when he was younger, but has grown up somewhat in the last few years (he’s had to, I suppose) and is a good bloke.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Andrew Strauss, Freddie Flintoff, Marcus Trescothick< Jimmy Anderson - thoroughly nice bloke, really appreciative of attention from fans.

Jacques Kallis - bit quiet, but friendly and seems a nice guy.

Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs and Chris Gayle - top, top blokes.

Charl Willoughby, Michael Holding - rude and inconsiderate.

And a mate of mine has met Ian Bell and Matthew Hoggard and says they were (surprisingly) a little bit disinterested and aloof.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Jacques Kallis - bit quiet, but friendly and seems a nice guy.
Jacques Kallis' quietness has cost him more than anyone knows.
If he talked more this stupidity about him being selfish would've been dispelled long ago.
You could say the same about Boycott during his playing career, too.

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Jacques Kallis' quietness has cost him more than anyone knows.
If he talked more this stupidity about him being selfish would've been dispelled long ago.
You could say the same about Boycott during his playing career, too.
Yes, but there is the story (perhaps apocryphal) of him (Boycott) telling Marsh how the Aussies should bowl to his team-mates(poms) :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well - I was meaning talking to the press.
Which Boycott never did in his playing career, and Kallis rarely does.
As a result both of them get this "selfish" nonsense, probably for ever more.

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
Well - I was meaning talking to the press.
Which Boycott never did in his playing career, and Kallis rarely does.
As a result both of them get this "selfish" nonsense, probably for ever more.
Their slow scoring would contribute to this as well.

Why was Kallis over looked for the SA captaincy?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie mac said:

Because he's neither clever nor aggressive enough?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard Montgomerie, Mark Robinson - Friendly and approachable
Jimmy Adams - Ace, let me give him throwdowns
Nixon McLean - Used to live next door to him, wouldnt turn his reggae down, but a very nice guy
Andrew Hall - Always poses for photos and good banter on the boundry edge
Jon Francis - seems pretty cool, and asked me for photos!

Langeveldt

Soutie
archie mac said:
Although they have made him vice-captain, so he must have some idea re-tactics?
yeah, he obviously knows whats going on and can provide some input, he's got loads of experience but there isnt enough up there to lead an international cricket team, then theres all the peripheral rubbish like the media/sponsers etc.

Mr Mxyzptlk

archie mac said:
Although they have made him vice-captain, so he must have some idea re-tactics?
Or it could be a token move due to his seniority. It's happened before. Chanderpaul was named vice-captain many a time for the West Indies.

For someone who has such a penchant for tactics, he certainly did well to forget it when batting in the last Test against Australia. I refuse to believe Graeme Smith's tactics were to bat that slowly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
There have been slow scorers since time immemorial - did anyone remotely ever call Richardson or Atherton selfish? (To choose only 2 of the countless examples)
Kallis is simply disliked - partly simply because he's a South African.
Because they thought - quite rightly - that Graeme Smith was the better choice.
For any number of reasons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
For someone who has such a penchant for tactics, he certainly did well to forget it when batting in the last Test against Australia. I refuse to believe Graeme Smith's tactics were to bat that slowly.
Of course his elbow-injury which meant he could barely hit a drive off the square had absolutely nothing to do with that?
Just because, unlike most people, he wasn't willing to deliberately hit one straight up, he gets called "selfish" because he's got "history".

Blaze

Banned
Richie Benaud - The man
Richard Hadlee- Seemed nice enough
Martin Crowe- Bowled to him at lunch at a game as a kid, he was very nice.
Ken Rutherford- ********
Henry Olonga - Top guy

There are a few others who I can't think of off the top of my head.

Oh Chris Cairns- Genuinely good bloke.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Smith's such an aggressive captain?
The question referred to the point when the captaincy changed over. He wasn't named as captain due to captaincy experience. He was named as captain due to perceived potential. He's an aggressive player.

He's not a defensive captain, mind.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Charles Colville - Even more annoying in the flesh, nice enough guy though

My parents went on tour to Barbados with Ian Botham, Viv Richards, Michael Holding and co, apparently they were totally great, a riot as predicted..

Chubb

International Regular
Robin Hobbs- my mother was his son's nanny whilst he was at Glamorgan. He's quite a character.
Paul Pritchard- I told him my grandmother knitted his christening gown, and he remembered her. He's from Hutton and my grandfather probably coached him as a young man.
Nasser- when I was ten me and a friend of mine went up to him at Chelmsford, but he didn't say anything and walked off. It was just after he'd scored his double century against the aussies though.
Andrew Clarke- His father was one of my grandfather's best friends so I've met him a lot. He's quite a fiery character, and he cared deeply about playing for Essex, which is more than you can say about most.
Keith and Ian Pont- Both of them played for Hutton so I've seen them there.
Chris McNally- a Zimbabwean First-class player who got me out when I was playing against the Hutton I team for Fives and Heronians- it's a long story how that happened. He was an interesting guy, had a story about a game he was playing getting interrupted by a herd of elephants! he'd played against Brett Lee and with Gripper and a few others.

None of them are really famous but they've all played first-class cricket and as you can see I met most of them through my family dynasty club, Hutton CC. It's only a small place but we've produced far more Essex players than many larger clubs.

Although he is not famous for his cricket, I played last year against the novelist Sebastian Faulks, author of Birdsong and Charlotte Grey among other things

Last edited: