Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBSERVER ISSUE #001. February 2006

Cricket Spectator

OBSERVER ISSUE #001. February 2006

Last December, whilst watching the Australia South African Test Match in Perth, I listened with interest to the commentators on Channel 9 have a go at one or two of the South African players for not adjusting quick enough to the bowling conditions on a decidedly different WACA Wicket… this was during the first hour of play (in which Ntini had already snatched the wicket of Australian opener Matthew Hayden). Surely enough common sense would prevail to allow any touring team (especially the ones touring Australia) to be allowed to play with a bit of nerves during a tour opening match. This got me thinking- where were the South African commentators for this series? Channel 9 had relied on several former Australian greats to call the game, and a possible “neutral” Englishman in the form of Tony Gregg to provide information on the South Africans. In my correspondence with a few South Africans who were disappointed as it was with their team’s mediocre tour Down Under, they made it clear that the excitement and wonder of a tour they were looking forward to for five years, was “ruined by the biting and often unnecessary comments from those with the microphone.” They had also alluded to the fact that South Africa had a disastrous catching season which was continually highlighted on Channel 9, but catchable drop chances by players like Adam Gilchrest and Mike Hussy were repeated not more than three times a piece.
    The Indian tour to Pakistan involved Michael Holding behind the Microphone, but one felt that he was there as a spectator of the game and not there to promote the cause of the Indians or the Pakistanis. I continue to wonder if and why the SABC in South Africa or Supersport pay channel should even invite Ian Healy and Ian Chappell to call the Australian games being played across South Africa later on this and next month when South Africa themselves could use former players such as Donald, Symcox and Cullingham, and supposed “neutrals” like Robin Jackman, Lee Irvine and Neil Johnson.

Why then I asked myself, have a new breed of cricket fans not emerged. Everyone has their own opinion and certainly are entitled to it. A fan which enjoys the game so much that they wake themselves at three in the morning on a cold winters morning to support their team, a fan which is depressed for a week after his or her team loses an important match, a fan which allows themselves to applaud for both a Chinese Cut or a majestic cover drive by the opposing team and a fan who can say without hesitation that their team was outclassed by Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, a cricket fan who is by all standards, an Observer.

An article will appear on this website every month celebrating the continuance of the “Observers”. Readers can expect a complete view of issues in the cricketing world from an eye which is designed not to discriminate against nations, but to encourage the ultimate “Gentleman’s Game” to indeed remain that way.

To contact the brains trust behind the Observers, E Mail: cricketobservers@hotmail.com
    A Trained Eye is Useful, An Emotional Eye Is A Waste.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    SABC's coverage has undoubtedly suffered since the departure of Gerald de Kock (to the South African set-up) and David Richardson (to ICC), but in Robin Jackman and Michael Haysman you'd imagine they have the core still there. Pommie Mbangwa undoubtedly has a good tongue but sometimes I find him a little overenthusiastic.
    What on Earth has happened to Imraan Munshi? Haven't heard from him for ages.
    Donald, Cullinan, Symcox and Johnson were much better players than they are commentators. A la Waqar\Alec.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-02-2006 at 02:11 PM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Good God I hope Ian Chappell doesn't commentate in South Africa. Heartily agree with the sentiments expressed here.
    One of the 2 or 3 commentators among the 100s I've heard who I genuinely don't like.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    SABC's coverage has undoubtedly suffered since the departure of Gerald de Kock (to the South African set-up) and David Richardson (to ICC), but in Robin Jackman and Michael Haysman you'd imagine they have the core still there. Pommie Mbangwa undoubtedly has a good tongue but sometimes I find him a little overenthusiastic.
    What on Earth has happened to Imraan Munshi? Haven't heard from him for ages.
    Donald, Cullinan and Johnson were much better players than they are commentators. A la Waqar\Alec.
    Imraan I think does work in the South African studio (like the Charles Colville equivalent)..

I think Pat Symcox is a fixture, but unfortunatly we have this rather forced chick called Kass Naidoo who although is pretty charming, you can tell she doesn't really know that much about whats she's talking about..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

I've only ever seen her on presentations.
    Seems good enough at them.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBSERVER 1
    Last December, whilst watching the Australia South African Test Match in Perth, I listened with interest to the commentators on Channel 9 have a go at one or two of the South African players for not adjusting quick enough to the bowling conditions on a decidedly different WACA Wicket… this was during the first hour of play (in which Ntini had already snatched the wicket of Australian opener Matthew Hayden). Surely enough common sense would prevail to allow any touring team (especially the ones touring Australia) to be allowed to play with a bit of nerves during a tour opening match. This got me thinking- where were the South African commentators for this series? Channel 9 had relied on several former Australian greats to call the game, and a possible “neutral” Englishman in the form of Tony Gregg to provide information on the South Africans. In my correspondence with a few South Africans who were disappointed as it was with their team’s mediocre tour Down Under, they made it clear that the excitement and wonder of a tour they were looking forward to for five years, was “ruined by the biting and often unnecessary comments from those with the microphone.” They had also alluded to the fact that South Africa had a disastrous catching season which was continually highlighted on Channel 9, but catchable drop chances by players like Adam Gilchrest and Mike Hussy were repeated not more than three times a piece.
    The Indian tour to Pakistan involved Michael Holding behind the Microphone, but one felt that he was there as a spectator of the game and not there to promote the cause of the Indians or the Pakistanis. I continue to wonder if and why the SABC in South Africa or Supersport pay channel should even invite Ian Healy and Ian Chappell to call the Australian games being played across South Africa later on this and next month when South Africa themselves could use former players such as Donald, Symcox and Cullingham, and supposed “neutrals” like Robin Jackman, Lee Irvine and Neil Johnson.

Why then I asked myself, have a new breed of cricket fans not emerged. Everyone has their own opinion and certainly are entitled to it. A fan which enjoys the game so much that they wake themselves at three in the morning on a cold winters morning to support their team, a fan which is depressed for a week after his or her team loses an important match, a fan which allows themselves to applaud for both a Chinese Cut or a majestic cover drive by the opposing team and a fan who can say without hesitation that their team was outclassed by Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, a cricket fan who is by all standards, an Observer.

An article will appear on this website every month celebrating the continuance of the “Observers”. Readers can expect a complete view of issues in the cricketing world from an eye which is designed not to discriminate against nations, but to encourage the ultimate “Gentleman’s Game” to indeed remain that way.

To contact the brains trust behind the Observers, E Mail: cricketobservers@hotmail.com
    ABC radio enlisted the help of a Sth Afr caller. Maybe their supporters should do what I do, turn down the tele and listen to the radio.
    You know it makes sense.

WHAT, someone just called in and got a series' worth of commentary on an international series...?
    I might practise my South African accent for next time...

Breakout Champion!
    I've only ever seen her on presentations.
    Seems good enough at them.
    Easy on the eye, too.

Well, before she decided to have her hair cut, yes.

(Please don't tell me she's done a Delta on us, too - I was insensitive enough to that poor girl)

WHAT, someone just called in and got a series' worth of commentary on an international series...?
    I might practise my South African accent for next time...
    I would stick with your British one, they need some decent commentators on SKY

No way, in Britain almost every station (TV and radio) has this stupidity about all commentators having to be ex-cricketers. Usually internationals.

No way, in Britain almost every station (TV and radio) has this stupidity about all commentators having to be ex-cricketers. Usually internationals.
    Though on the radio they are a little better, I am thinking of Blowers, but yes on the Tele you must be an ex-international (except for the Hampshire captain) the same here in Australia.

Breakout Champion!
    Colville?

How often does Charles commentate?
    Only on the odd domestic game.
    On the international front he's only ever a studio presenter in the Mark Nicholas\Simon O'Donnell mode.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Brian Johnston didn't play did he?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information