• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OBSERVER ISSUE #001. February 2006

OBSERVER 1

Cricket Spectator
Last December, whilst watching the Australia South African Test Match in Perth, I listened with interest to the commentators on Channel 9 have a go at one or two of the South African players for not adjusting quick enough to the bowling conditions on a decidedly different WACA Wicket… this was during the first hour of play (in which Ntini had already snatched the wicket of Australian opener Matthew Hayden). Surely enough common sense would prevail to allow any touring team (especially the ones touring Australia) to be allowed to play with a bit of nerves during a tour opening match. This got me thinking- where were the South African commentators for this series? Channel 9 had relied on several former Australian greats to call the game, and a possible “neutral” Englishman in the form of Tony Gregg to provide information on the South Africans. In my correspondence with a few South Africans who were disappointed as it was with their team’s mediocre tour Down Under, they made it clear that the excitement and wonder of a tour they were looking forward to for five years, was “ruined by the biting and often unnecessary comments from those with the microphone.” They had also alluded to the fact that South Africa had a disastrous catching season which was continually highlighted on Channel 9, but catchable drop chances by players like Adam Gilchrest and Mike Hussy were repeated not more than three times a piece.
The Indian tour to Pakistan involved Michael Holding behind the Microphone, but one felt that he was there as a spectator of the game and not there to promote the cause of the Indians or the Pakistanis. I continue to wonder if and why the SABC in South Africa or Supersport pay channel should even invite Ian Healy and Ian Chappell to call the Australian games being played across South Africa later on this and next month when South Africa themselves could use former players such as Donald, Symcox and Cullingham, and supposed “neutrals” like Robin Jackman, Lee Irvine and Neil Johnson.

Why then I asked myself, have a new breed of cricket fans not emerged. Everyone has their own opinion and certainly are entitled to it. A fan which enjoys the game so much that they wake themselves at three in the morning on a cold winters morning to support their team, a fan which is depressed for a week after his or her team loses an important match, a fan which allows themselves to applaud for both a Chinese Cut or a majestic cover drive by the opposing team and a fan who can say without hesitation that their team was outclassed by Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, a cricket fan who is by all standards, an Observer.

An article will appear on this website every month celebrating the continuance of the “Observers”. Readers can expect a complete view of issues in the cricketing world from an eye which is designed not to discriminate against nations, but to encourage the ultimate “Gentleman’s Game” to indeed remain that way.

To contact the brains trust behind the Observers, E Mail: cricketobservers@hotmail.com

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SABC's coverage has undoubtedly suffered since the departure of Gerald de Kock (to the South African set-up) and David Richardson (to ICC), but in Robin Jackman and Michael Haysman you'd imagine they have the core still there. Pommie Mbangwa undoubtedly has a good tongue but sometimes I find him a little overenthusiastic.
What on Earth has happened to Imraan Munshi? Haven't heard from him for ages.
Donald, Cullinan, Symcox and Johnson were much better players than they are commentators. A la Waqar\Alec.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good God I hope Ian Chappell doesn't commentate in South Africa. Heartily agree with the sentiments expressed here.
One of the 2 or 3 commentators among the 100s I've heard who I genuinely don't like.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
SABC's coverage has undoubtedly suffered since the departure of Gerald de Kock (to the South African set-up) and David Richardson (to ICC), but in Robin Jackman and Michael Haysman you'd imagine they have the core still there. Pommie Mbangwa undoubtedly has a good tongue but sometimes I find him a little overenthusiastic.
What on Earth has happened to Imraan Munshi? Haven't heard from him for ages.
Donald, Cullinan and Johnson were much better players than they are commentators. A la Waqar\Alec.
Imraan I think does work in the South African studio (like the Charles Colville equivalent)..

I think Pat Symcox is a fixture, but unfortunatly we have this rather forced chick called Kass Naidoo who although is pretty charming, you can tell she doesn't really know that much about whats she's talking about..

archie mac

International Coach
OBSERVER 1 said:
Last December, whilst watching the Australia South African Test Match in Perth, I listened with interest to the commentators on Channel 9 have a go at one or two of the South African players for not adjusting quick enough to the bowling conditions on a decidedly different WACA Wicket… this was during the first hour of play (in which Ntini had already snatched the wicket of Australian opener Matthew Hayden). Surely enough common sense would prevail to allow any touring team (especially the ones touring Australia) to be allowed to play with a bit of nerves during a tour opening match. This got me thinking- where were the South African commentators for this series? Channel 9 had relied on several former Australian greats to call the game, and a possible “neutral” Englishman in the form of Tony Gregg to provide information on the South Africans. In my correspondence with a few South Africans who were disappointed as it was with their team’s mediocre tour Down Under, they made it clear that the excitement and wonder of a tour they were looking forward to for five years, was “ruined by the biting and often unnecessary comments from those with the microphone.” They had also alluded to the fact that South Africa had a disastrous catching season which was continually highlighted on Channel 9, but catchable drop chances by players like Adam Gilchrest and Mike Hussy were repeated not more than three times a piece.
The Indian tour to Pakistan involved Michael Holding behind the Microphone, but one felt that he was there as a spectator of the game and not there to promote the cause of the Indians or the Pakistanis. I continue to wonder if and why the SABC in South Africa or Supersport pay channel should even invite Ian Healy and Ian Chappell to call the Australian games being played across South Africa later on this and next month when South Africa themselves could use former players such as Donald, Symcox and Cullingham, and supposed “neutrals” like Robin Jackman, Lee Irvine and Neil Johnson.

Why then I asked myself, have a new breed of cricket fans not emerged. Everyone has their own opinion and certainly are entitled to it. A fan which enjoys the game so much that they wake themselves at three in the morning on a cold winters morning to support their team, a fan which is depressed for a week after his or her team loses an important match, a fan which allows themselves to applaud for both a Chinese Cut or a majestic cover drive by the opposing team and a fan who can say without hesitation that their team was outclassed by Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, a cricket fan who is by all standards, an Observer.

An article will appear on this website every month celebrating the continuance of the “Observers”. Readers can expect a complete view of issues in the cricketing world from an eye which is designed not to discriminate against nations, but to encourage the ultimate “Gentleman’s Game” to indeed remain that way.

To contact the brains trust behind the Observers, E Mail: cricketobservers@hotmail.com
ABC radio enlisted the help of a Sth Afr caller. Maybe their supporters should do what I do, turn down the tele and listen to the radio.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WHAT, someone just called in and got a series' worth of commentary on an international series...? :blink:
I might practise my South African accent for next time...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, before she decided to have her hair cut, yes.

(Please don't tell me she's done a Delta on us, too - I was insensitive enough to that poor girl)

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
WHAT, someone just called in and got a series' worth of commentary on an international series...? :blink:
I might practise my South African accent for next time...
I would stick with your British one, they need some decent commentators on SKY
:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No way, in Britain almost every station (TV and radio) has this stupidity about all commentators having to be ex-cricketers. Usually internationals.

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
No way, in Britain almost every station (TV and radio) has this stupidity about all commentators having to be ex-cricketers. Usually internationals.
Though on the radio they are a little better, I am thinking of Blowers, but yes on the Tele you must be an ex-international (except for the Hampshire captain) the same here in Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How often does Charles commentate?
Only on the odd domestic game.
On the international front he's only ever a studio presenter in the Mark Nicholas\Simon O'Donnell mode.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
Though on the radio they are a little better, I am thinking of Blowers, but yes on the Tele you must be an ex-international (except for the Hampshire captain) the same here in Australia.
Yes, to be fair Blowers and CMJ are shining beacons, but I can't believe they're not the last of a kind.
Both have been with the team for years, and all the recent additions have been ex-players (Gooch, Gatting, Fraser, etc.)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Simon Hughes didn't play internationally either

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
Brian Johnston didn't play did he?
No, he (and the great John Arlott) were part of the previous generation where there was what Matthew Engel called "the lovely balance between professional broadcaster and professional cricketer".

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And Simon Hughes isn't a commentator, he's an analyst (and a damn good one at that).
Nope, he was a commentator (if you watch any highlights of the Pakistan tour in 2000, its him and Dermot Reeve)- he invented the analyst role and after a while the commentating lapsed.