• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Class is forever-Form is Temporary' Are there any exceptions?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Is there any batsman/bowler in fairly recent times (1970s onwards) that have lost their form altogetgher.

IE. If Hayden never recovered fromthe 30 innings streak without a 100 or Tendulkar never gets past 50 again.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
Lara - went through a rocky patch, now back to his best in recent years
I meant,people who lost it all,not just went through a bad patch.

I hear so much about how Tendulkar's past it or how Gilchrist is past it so when Gilchrist got droped from the ODI side i thought 'Right,he's gone for good now,everyone thinks so,so he must be' then he scored that century and i felt really stupid.

Didn't Jimmy Adams have a career threatening injury though?

Marc i think posted his stats which showed how he averaged 80 odd fater 20 games but then ended averaging 40 i think(this was when i said Pietersen would be amazing for the rest of his career) and Halsey said that the stats hid a career threatening injury.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
open365 said:
Didn't Jimmy Adams have a career threatening injury though?
He played superbly when he first got the captaincy. He played well until Cork's Test (we don't discuss details). Basically, he played well whilst the West Indies played well, then when the team collapsed to rubbish once more, he collapsed under the strain.

He did have a serious injury a few years before though, and was never the same batsman after that. Has a metal plate in his head IIRC.

EDIT: Still was one of my favourite batsmen.

Last edited:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He played superbly when he first got the captaincy. He played well until Cork's Test (we don't discuss details). Basically, he played well whilst the West Indies played well, then when the team collapsed to rubbish once more, he collapsed under the strain.

He did have a serious injury a few years before though, and was never the same batsman after that. Has a metal plate in his head IIRC.

EDIT: Still was one of my favourite batsmen.
Was a shame what happened with Adams, looked a really class act when he hit the scene. Still remember fondly that monster partnership he put on with Lara against the Aussies in '99.

Chubb

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Reminds me of Mark Vermeulen... just finding his feet on the international stage with a hundred v. WIndies and then top-edged a bouncer into his head. Had to have steel plates put in, was told to give up but came back, but could no longer play to his old strengths, on the back foot, and is now nowhere near as good as he was and probably never will be again. Also a candidate for the "Cricket's Greatest Whingers" thread.

Mr Mxyzptlk

UncleTheOne said:
Was a shame what happened with Adams, looked a really class act when he hit the scene. Still remember fondly that monster partnership he put on with Lara against the Aussies in '99.
That was post-injury. He looked to have to put in so much more effort to score runs after the injury. Before the injury he was much more fluent. Still was a fine partnership. The hundred Adams scored against Zimbabwe in Jamaica in 2000 was as good as most that I've seen. A fantastic innings. I don't care what people say about the quality of opposition. Streak had taken 9 in the previous Test and Olonga/Bryan Strang/Murphy were bowling pretty decently.

Quality batsman for most of his career. I only ever remember him hitting one six though (that I've seen). It was a top edge over fine leg.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Chubb said:
Reminds me of Mark Vermeulen... just finding his feet on the international stage with a hundred v. WIndies and then top-edged a bouncer into his head. Had to have steel plates put in, was told to give up but came back, but could no longer play to his old strengths, on the back foot, and is now nowhere near as good as he was and probably never will be again.
Yep. I remember when he first came out and looked a top prospect. It's one of the more unfortunate injuries really. Any blow to the head is a severe injury.

Grant Flower seemed to fade away badly over the second half of his Test career. Just my perception though. I'm not sure if stats back me up on that, though I'm pretty sure they do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Some stats:

Grant Flower
After 59 innings: 39.59
Rest of career (64 more innings): 23.70
He crossed 50 once every 4 or so innings for those first 59 innings (also had a conversion rate of 38.46%). He then crossed fifty once ever 8 innings for the rest of his career (conversion rate of 14.29%).

Also noteworthy...
Alistair Campbell
After 18 innings: 41.17
Rest of career (91 more innings): 23.71
He crossed 50 roughly twice in each 5 innings for those first 18 innings. He then crossed fifty once every 7 innings for the rest of his career.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Mike Atherton.

He always seemed to struggle and be out of form when he was captain, i remember watching him on test match special and he always had this sort of depressed look on his face and and i remember not being susprised when he got out for single figures. Plus his cruel back problems didn't help.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Autobahn said:
Mike Atherton.

He always seemed to struggle and be out of form when he was captain, i remember watching him on test match special and he always had this sort of depressed look on his face and and i remember not being susprised when he got out for single figures. Plus his cruel back problems didn't help.
Err when did Atherton have any class to start with?

If he had class he wouldn't have been so utterly dominated whenever he came up against Warne, McGrath, Ambrose, Walsh etc. Look at what the earlier example - Vaughan and see what he did against Australia and you'll see there's a huge gulf in class between him and Atherton.