• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Nicknames

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
In the Twenty20 match against South Africa the Aus players had nicknames on the back of their shirts. Does anyone know what some of them were?
I'm guessing McGrath was pigeon.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Punter - Ricky Ponting (Capt)
BJ - Brad Haddin (Wkt)
Marto - Damien Martyn
Mr Cricket - Mike Hussey
Billy - Mick Lewis
Roy - Andrew Symonds
Pup - Michael Clarke
Sarfraz - Stuart Clark
Kat - Simon Katich
Catfish - James Hopes
Bracks - Nathan Bracken
Midge - Mitchell Johnson

Source: BBC.co.uk

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Moron - Ricky Ponting
Pratt - Ricky Ponting
Brainiac - Ricky Ponting
Captain Birdseye - Ricky Ponting

(these shirts are in the wash)

/runs

Last edited:

Haddin

U19 Debutant
What about this one: Aaron Bird, NSW fast bowler, his nickname was to be "Flu" but was rejected by CA, fearing it might offend the sponsers, KFC, or something like that.:laugh:

simmy

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Moron - Ricky Ponting
Pratt - Ricky Ponting
Brainiac - Ricky Ponting
Captain Birdseye - Ricky Ponting

(these shirts are in the wash)

/runs
Brilliant!

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Hollywood etc etc etc- Shane Warne
Tugga - Justin Langer
Dizzy - Jason Gillespie

ripper868

International Coach
Anna said:
Hollywood etc etc etc- Shane Warne
Tugga - Justin Langer
Dizzy - Jason Gillespie

Tugga was Steve Waugh not JL. I dont know what JL's would be but it aint tugga.
Swervin Mervin- Merv Hughes

Batsman in best form at test and one day level at the moment, and captaining australia to an ashes win - Ricky Ponting

Fiery

Banned
ripper868 said:
Swervin Mervin- Merv Hughes

Batsman in best form at test and one day level at the moment, and captaining australia to an ashes win - Ricky Ponting
Langer's nickname is Alfy. Tugger is more of a generic term that can be used for any Australian cricketer

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:
Langer's nickname is Alfy. Tugger is more of a generic term that can be used for any Australian cricketer
Not really. Steve was called Tugga because of the play on words with "tug-o'-war".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really. Steve was called Tugga because of the play on words with "tug-o'-war".
I suspect Fiery was suggesting that "Tugga" can be used for all Aussie cricketers, because they all "tug" their old fella when alone or in small groups. Like "tosser" or "stroker". :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I suspect Fiery was suggesting that "Tugga" can be used for all Aussie cricketers, because they all "tug" their old fella when alone or in small groups. Like "tosser" or "stroker". :p
Haha right. Totally missed the joke then.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haddin said:
What about this one: Aaron Bird, NSW fast bowler, his nickname was to be "Flu" but was rejected by CA, fearing it might offend the sponsers, KFC, or something like that.:laugh:
That`s quality. :D

Anna

International Vice-Captain
ripper868 said:
No idea why I said that cos I know that Steve Waugh's nickname is Tugga! How strange...