• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Curtly Ambrose vs. Steve Waugh

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The first bouncer was a shocking long-hop and Curtly certainly made his point to Steve Waugh anyway. The follow-up was just perfect and a metaphor for the series; the fast-bowling on both sides was top-shelf.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Does anybody have a picture of Waugh standing up to Ambrose and Ambrose being pulled away by the lad at short mid wicket? Because I wanted to print that out and put it on my wall... great cricket moment.

howardj

International Coach
Francis said:
Does anybody have a picture of Waugh standing up to Ambrose and Ambrose being pulled away by the lad at short mid wicket? Because I wanted to print that out and put it on my wall... great cricket moment.
Here you go, Francis: (When you get to it, just click on it, to enlarge.)

Waugh v Amby

Slifer

International Captain
Exactly whats missing from cricket...world class bowler vs world class batsmen doing battle at the peak of their powers. Nice clip by the way.

Shounak

Banned
Slifer said:
Exactly whats missing from cricket...world class bowler vs world class batsmen doing battle at the peak of their powers. Nice clip by the way.
Agreed.. But Curtly shouldn't have been pulled away like that.. As if he'd actually bash Tugga..

C_C

International Captain
shounak said:
Agreed.. But Curtly shouldn't have been pulled away like that.. As if he'd actually bash Tugga..
That was a much much milder version of the infamous McGrath-Sarwan incident.

Shounak

Banned
C_C said:
That was a much much milder version of the infamous McGrath-Sarwan incident.
A bit different because Curtly wasn't threatening to rip anyone's effing throat out..

And the Curtly situation was mutual.. Both parties were giving as good as they were getting, in their own way..

I didn't see anyone tearing McGrath away though.. Reflection of different attitudes..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A nothing moment compared to the Waugh clip-down-the-leg of K Benjamin.
At the present time that (or rather what the wicketkeeper did\didn't do with it) stands as the most pivotal moment in the history of Test-cricket.
Warne-Pietersen may yet supersede it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
A nothing moment compared to the Waugh clip-down-the-leg of K Benjamin.
At the present time that (or rather what the wicketkeeper did\didn't do with it) stands as the most pivotal moment in the history of Test-cricket.
Warne-Pietersen may yet supersede it.
You honestly believe that a dropped catch is the reason why the West Indies cricket team is rubbish right now? Or rather, you think a dropped catch accounts for the strength of the Australia team?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, no, not at all.
But there's absolutely no denying it was a pivotal moment, and like I say in the other thread - you know the saying about butterflies and earthquakes.
It's unlikely that had Browne taken the catch things would have carried on as they had been for the past 8 years, but it's not out of the question at all that things might have been different to how they are now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
When Steve Waugh was dropped during the 3rd test I'm guessing?
No, the Fourth, and as almost everyone knows, it was the most pivotal dropped catch in the history of Test-cricket, because Waugh, on 42, went on to put-on a massive stand with his brother, Australia won the Test by an innings and West Indies were beaten in a series for the first time in 15 years.