Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curtly Ambrose vs. Steve Waugh

what moment are u talkin about richard? more detail?

When Steve Waugh was dropped during the 3rd test I'm guessing?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    A nothing moment compared to the Waugh clip-down-the-leg of K Benjamin.
    At the present time that (or rather what the wicketkeeper did\didn't do with it) stands as the most pivotal moment in the history of Test-cricket.
    Warne-Pietersen may yet supersede it.
    You honestly believe that a dropped catch is the reason why the West Indies cricket team is rubbish right now? Or rather, you think a dropped catch accounts for the strength of the Australia team?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Oh, no, not at all.
    But there's absolutely no denying it was a pivotal moment, and like I say in the other thread - you know the saying about butterflies and earthquakes.
    It's unlikely that had Browne taken the catch things would have carried on as they had been for the past 8 years, but it's not out of the question at all that things might have been different to how they are now.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    When Steve Waugh was dropped during the 3rd test I'm guessing?
    No, the Fourth, and as almost everyone knows, it was the most pivotal dropped catch in the history of Test-cricket, because Waugh, on 42, went on to put-on a massive stand with his brother, Australia won the Test by an innings and West Indies were beaten in a series for the first time in 15 years.

Sorry 4th you're right. You have already started a thread on this though

Still, that Steve Waugh/Ambrose confrontation was certainly one of the most memorable sledging incidents that I remember.

Especially given that Ambrose rarely if ever got involved in that sort of thing normally.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Especially given that Ambrose rarely if ever got involved in that sort of thing normally.
    He didn't? From the perspective of an Australian fan, he was pretty much renowned for it. Dean Jones 92/93 anyone?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hardly "getting involved" - it was Jones who started it with that foolish request of his to take the wristbands off.
    Ambrose, of course, used it to motivate himself.
    But certainly the English perspective is epitomised by Michael Atherton here (penultimate paragraph).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    A nothing moment compared to the Waugh clip-down-the-leg of K Benjamin.
    Actually it was a length-ball outside off-stump right in the zone where Waugh usually nicked them, he did and Courtney Browne dropped the sitter of sitters. Made an absolute meal of it.

He didn't? From the perspective of an Australian fan, he was pretty much renowned for it. Dean Jones 92/93 anyone?
    Richard's right; Curtly generally didn't engage in verbals with the batsman. And even that Dean Jones one, Curtly said virtually nothing; Deano asked him to remove the wrist-band, Curtly had a VERY ticked-off look on his face and then bowled an immaculate length, taking 5-fer and barely breathing a word to the batsman. That was Curtly at his best; hostile but silent.

The only other time I can think of overt Curtly action was in the 1996 WACA test where Curtly bowled several deliberate front-foot no-balls in order to keep the over going, dishing up short-ball after short-ball at Warnie. Even when he took 7-fer against England when they were bowled out for 46, he was pretty much silent. Curtly losing it was a rare occurance.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

That is a great article Richard. Really great read. Ta for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Actually it was a length-ball outside off-stump right in the zone where Waugh usually nicked them, he did and Courtney Browne dropped the sitter of sitters. Made an absolute meal of it.
    Really...? Wow, that CricInfo report was wrong.
    Described it quite clearly as a glove down the leg.
    I really must find some footage of that Test.
    The only other time I can think of overt Curtly action was in the 1996 WACA test where Curtly bowled several deliberate front-foot no-balls in order to keep the over going, dishing up short-ball after short-ball at Warnie.
    Aha... I was wondering why he bowled such an astonishingly excessive number of them in that Test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    That is a great article Richard. Really great read. Ta for the link.
    Michael Atherton has written many, many fine pieces and will doubtless write many more.
    Shame he's unlikely to ever attain a position where he could actually do some acting, unlike most ICC delegates.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Oh, no, not at all.
    But there's absolutely no denying it was a pivotal moment, and like I say in the other thread - you know the saying about butterflies and earthquakes.
    It's unlikely that had Browne taken the catch things would have carried on as they had been for the past 8 years, but it's not out of the question at all that things might have been different to how they are now.
    Different, perhaps, but the result of that match has nothing to with the overall decline of West Indies cricket. Not in my mind. The roots are bad, thus the leaves are worse. Then there's the incompetent gardener.

Fact is, like I say, faith moves mountains.
    I'm not in the Caribbean so I don't know whether it's the case or not. But unsuccessful teams breed lack of success, and so the vicious circle turns.
    It has to start somewhere, though. For the last 8 years West Indies had staved it off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information