Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about India flexing its muscles?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

What do you think about India flexing its muscles?

Is it a good thing if the best test teams (India, England, Australia, Pakistan) played each other more often, in Ashes-style 5 match series?

What happens to the 'poorer' teams?

....South Africa

Errr...sure. South Africa. Is there a more uninteresting team in international cricket?

But yes, South Africa would be on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Is it a good thing if the best test teams (India, England, Australia, Pakistan) played each other more often, in Ashes-style 5 match series?

What happens to the 'poorer' teams?
    How is that 'India flexing its muscles'?
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

They pretty much withdrew from the Challenger series, canceled the tour to new zealand, about to undertake a smaller tour to west indies, and are threatening to set up their own touring program outside of the ICC FTP.

The new regime's goal is to extract as much money out of international cricket as possible. There are several articles on Cricinfo giving various opinions on the subject. The problem is that over 50% of total income of cricket is generated out of India. This could hurt countries like WI, SL and others that rely on Indian money to keep themselves going.

Australia/England/Pakistan would benefit, as they'd get more money as they would play India more. But the rest probably wouldn't. The problem is that Australia/England/Pakistan/SA have enough money to survive with or without India...but the rest might not have enough money to be as competitive if India stopped playing them (or even if they cut back significantly).

The thing that annoys me is that India aren't actually better than any of the other teams ranked 3-7. When was the last time they won a series away from home?

The thing that annoys me is that India aren't actually better than any of the other teams ranked 3-7. When was the last time they won a series away from home?
    Outside the subcontinent: 1986. Against England, I believe. Zimbabwe doesn't count, obviously.

No, they aren't better than the other teams except at home. But they generate more $$ than any other team..and that counts a lot.

Pinball Champion!
    Errr...sure. South Africa. Is there a more uninteresting team in international cricket?.
    yes.. The USA..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    yes.. The USA..
    Just because they are substandard, it doesn't means that they are not interesting. In fact, because they are substandard, they are fascinating.
    Q: What's your favourite animal?
    Steve Waugh: Merv Hughes.

Fred Trueman:

That was a tremendous six, the ball was still in the air as it went over the boundary.
    That's what cricket is all about. Two batsmen pitting their wits against one another.
    Anyone foolish enough to predict the outcome of this match is a fool.
    Unless something happens that we can't predict, I don't think a lot will happen.

Ian Blackwell: It's just understanding foods and what to eat at certain times.

Pinball Champion!
    Anyway, do I care about India.. Not really..

It's a case of unromantic, money grabbing capitalism with no interest in cricket taking over unromantic, money grabbing incompetency with no spine.. So India are the lesser of two evils when pitched against the ICC

Anyway, do I care about India.. Not really..

It's a case of unromantic, money grabbing capitalism with no interest in cricket taking over unromantic, money grabbing incompetency with no spine.. So India are the lesser of two evils when pitched against the ICC
    Very true. But even though I am an India fan, I am very apprehensive about an organization that basically has its own agenda and not that of the cricket fan having so much power. They are not transparent at all, and no one doubts that there are some shady things going on with so much money in Indian cricket.

If they actually were a competent organization run like AUS or ENG cricket boards, then I'd be happy about the change.

But the corrupt BCCI? BCCI are not much better than Bvute and Chingoka. Except they hide it better. I wouldn't want them running anything.

Pinball Champion!
    Very true. But even though I am an India fan, I am very apprehensive about an organization that basically has its own agenda and not that of the cricket fan having so much power. They are not transparent at all, and no one doubts that there are some shady things going on with so much money in Indian cricket.

If they actually were a competent organization run like AUS or ENG cricket boards, then I'd be happy about the change.

But the corrupt BCCI? BCCI are not much better than Bvute and Chingoka. Except they hide it better. I wouldn't want them running anything.
    It looks like we have no choice..

Money talks, BS walks...

It looks like we have no choice..

Money talks, BS walks...
    I realize that, but my question was: "Is this an improvement over the ICC?" You seem to think so, I am still not sure.

Pinball Champion!
    I realize that, but my question was: "Is this an improvement over the ICC?" You seem to think so, I am still not sure.
    In my eyes you can't get worse than the ICC.. Test cricket functioned, as did one day cricket, perfectly well before the ICC was even thought up..

Since then they have
    - Introduced mind numbing schedules of cricket, burning out both players and spectators
    - Managed to lose two entire nations of cricketers - Kenya and Zimbabwe.. I mean how can you LOSE an entire nation?
    - Handled the chucking affair with all the nouse and confusion of a slightly off banana
    - Introduced such spectacles as the ICC "super" world series
    - Introduced super things like "super" subs and "super" power plays.. What next, super umpires?

I think the only thing they have actually done for the game, is handle the match fixing crisis with a bit of conviction.. for once they actually grew a spine

So yeah, if the BCCI can do worse, then it will be an interesting few years!

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    yes.. The USA..
    How can any team that has Fardin as a future international be considered uninteresting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information