• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in South Africa***

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Rudolph above Gibbs? What's the tactic behind that?

And yes it's true that Donald is more of a sporting icon than Symcox or Boje.:ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Dippenaar has regularly disappointed in the test game, which is a real shame because he has all the attributes of being a really top class batsman..

I'm not sure if AB de Villiers will be featuring, or Kallis.. If Injuries were not a problem, my top six would be

1. Smith
2. de Villiers
3. Rudolph
4. Kallis
5. Gibbs
6. Prince/Dippenaar
well dont you reckon Prince place would be assured after some good showing in Australia?, for me if he is going to get into the middle-order is in place of Rudolph if he fails or maybe as an opener..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
right well all attention now should be on this tour, SA OD team should be back to full-strenght so without McGrath for the ODI's a very competitive series is expected.My expected OD team now would be:

Ponting
Gilly
Katich
Martyn
Symo
Clarke
Hussey
Watson
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
Clark
Gillespie/Tait (Hopefully)

howardj

International Coach
Dixie Flatline said:
Australia announced its ODI team to tour South Africa:

Ponting (c)
Gilchrist (vc)
Bracken
Clarke
Clark
Hogg
M. Hussey
Johnson
Katich
Lee
Lewis
Martyn
Watson
Symonds

No McGrath, Jaques, Dorey or Hopes.

Link to Cricket Australia release: http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=36520
Dorey and Hopes were pretty much exposed in the VB Series, and were deservedly omitted. However, Phil Jacques most definitely should be in that squad. How the selectors think that Katich is the better option, still escapes me. Anyway, good to see Watson back - hopefully he gets a chance with the bat.

Last edited:

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jaques can count himself very unlucky not to have been included in the squad. Martyn hasn't really performed during the VB Series. Jaques could have taken his spot. Interesting that they have selected Mitchell Johnson but it will be good for him to get some more international experience. I would say he'll be the 12th man for most of the matches or supersub.

howardj

International Coach
age_master said:
Dissapointed Watson was picked above Hopes, and Johnson above Gillespie. :(

On the one hand, Watson hasn't done much in the International arena so far, however at least he has scope for improvement. By contrast, I just think Hopes is completely out of his depth, and I can't see that changing much. Regarding Gillespie/Johnson - I think it's clear that, even before today, Gillespie will only re-enter the International arena in white clothes, not canary yellow. Johnson is extremely fortunate however, and has obviously been picked more on the basis of potential than anything...oh, and for the fact that he bowls with his left-arm. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I honestly don't get the Australian selectors sometimes. If Jaques can't make the 11, well fair enough but not even making the squad is just stupid. Its their contradictory ways that confuse me. They have taken so many people out of the squads (note, not just teams but entire squads) based on poor form + age. Gillespie and Kaspa are perfect examples, especially Kaspa who wasn't in that poor form in the limited overs game really. Yet Martyn, who received the same treatment in the test arena, is being kept in the ODI side whilst not really performing bar the first VB Series match. I'm not saying Martyn should be dropped, as I love watching him bat and he's been mistreated by the selectors enough as it is, however it just makes no sense. Jaques is the perfect candidate to step into the team, whether it be as an opener or in the middle order. At least put him in the squad to envoke some confidence in him and if an injury occurs, he can step right in.

Fair enough dropping Dorey & Hopes I reckon. I don't think Hopes will be in the WC squad come next year. He didn't add as much as one thought he would, and his bowling was really exposed. Johnson in front of Gillespie is a joke though. Johnson in front of a lot of people is a joke though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
Regarding Gillespie/Johnson - I think it's clear that, even before today, Gillespie will only re-enter the International arena in white clothes, not canary yellow. Johnson is extremely fortunate however, and has obviously been picked more on the basis of potential than anything...oh, and for the fact that he bowls with his left-arm. :laugh:
See I agree, that is probably the case. Dizzy may never play ODI cricket again. And one would believe that's based on his age, only 31 anyway but too old for the selectors. Yet their policy on age changes when it comes to someone like Martyn, who if anything whilst a very good ODI player will be remembered more for his test heroics in his career, stays in the ODI team despite being 34. Maybe they just feel they have to groom young fast bowlers whereas it matters little with the batting? Not sure.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
See I agree, that is probably the case. Dizzy may never play ODI cricket again. And one would believe that's based on his age, only 31 anyway but too old for the selectors. Yet their policy on age changes when it comes to someone like Martyn, who if anything whilst a very good ODI player will be remembered more for his test heroics in his career, stays in the ODI team despite being 34. Maybe they just feel they have to groom young fast bowlers whereas it matters little with the batting? Not sure.
Gillespie is still a fine bowler but a bit of a passenger in the field.

I have no problems with them picking Johnson but Tait should've gone as well - Clark and Bracken do not have anywhere near the potential that he does.

Jacques should've been a certainty - despite his hundred last night, Katich's batting has gone backwards alarmingly of late.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think Tait wasn't selected for the ODI tour because he said himself he wouldn't be ready and 100% fit enough to play international cricket. Maybe he'll be selected for the test squad. All depends on whether McGrath goes I guess?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Hopes seemed to be picked as a bowling allrounder where he really is a batting allrounder. His bowling was exposed, not enough wickets. Watson is a better prospect and deserves to replace him.

I would like to have seen Jaques come in for Martyn. Martyn though not playing badly is not as good as Jaques at the moment.

The selction of Johnson is a surprise. Picked on potential. Lewis is not up to it and could not see why he was selected. Dorey was also exposed in his games. he needs to pick up his pace. Tait could have been selected and used as a supersub if not quite fit enough.

Dixie Flatline

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Argonaut said:
Hopes seemed to be picked as a bowling allrounder where he really is a batting allrounder. His bowling was exposed, not enough wickets. Watson is a better prospect and deserves to replace him.

I would like to have seen Jaques come in for Martyn. Martyn though not playing badly is not as good as Jaques at the moment.

The selction of Johnson is a surprise. Picked on potential. Lewis is not up to it and could not see why he was selected. Dorey was also exposed in his games. he needs to pick up his pace. Tait could have been selected and used as a supersub if not quite fit enough.
I think Lewis got a gig because the selectors think, rightly or wrongly, that he can bowl tightly at the end of an innings. He did so against NZ once in the Chappell-Hadlee series (the first game, IIRC) but was then carted (like the other Aussie bowlers) in one or both of the other games. But I think the rationale behind Lewis coming into the VB series squad was for that reason and he's going to South Africa for the same reason.

I don't think the selectors would have liked seeing Tait as a supersub especially if the toss goes South Africa's way because Tait is then left pretty much as a spare wheel - he can't bat so to replace a batsman with him to bowl in the first innings means that Australia would be a batsman short. The Aussies got away with it in the third final when Lewis was a super-sub but I really don't see them selecting Tait as a super-sub. Anyway, his domestic OD form hasn't been consistent enough, I don't think.

Martyn was unlucky in the third final inasmuch as he didn't get a chance to bat, though apparently the selectors had already finalised the squad before last night anyway.

PANIC!

Cricket Spectator
Happy that Watson was picked, future star and was performing beautifully before his injury. Mitchell Johnson being picked is a joke. He has done next to nothing at first class level.

Disappointed for Jaques as well.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
On the one hand, Watson hasn't done much in the International arena so far, however at least he has scope for improvement. By contrast, I just think Hopes is completely out of his depth, and I can't see that changing much.

Watson has potential as a test player, if he learns to do something with the ball anyway. but in terms of ODI's he isn't strong enough in any part of his game to make the side for mine.

Cam White would be a better option, though the spinning all rounder spot already has Hogg, Symonds and Clarke

in terms of quicks there isnt alot - though i rate Hopes as the best of the lot at the moment - Moises Henriques will eventually take that spot i imagine, he will probably get a few games for NSW after the U/19 WC is finished.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dixie Flatline said:
I think Lewis got a gig because the selectors think, rightly or wrongly, that he can bowl tightly at the end of an innings. He did so against NZ once in the Chappell-Hadlee series (the first game, IIRC) but was then carted (like the other Aussie bowlers) in one or both of the other games. But I think the rationale behind Lewis coming into the VB series squad was for that reason and he's going to South Africa for the same reason.

I don't think the selectors would have liked seeing Tait as a supersub especially if the toss goes South Africa's way because Tait is then left pretty much as a spare wheel - he can't bat so to replace a batsman with him to bowl in the first innings means that Australia would be a batsman short. The Aussies got away with it in the third final when Lewis was a super-sub but I really don't see them selecting Tait as a super-sub. Anyway, his domestic OD form hasn't been consistent enough, I don't think.

Martyn was unlucky in the third final inasmuch as he didn't get a chance to bat, though apparently the selectors had already finalised the squad before last night anyway.
Hogg was the super sub....

Jaques was robbed. Johnson and Lewis being picked is almost non sensical.