• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in South Africa***

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
yes if McGrath doesn't make it for the test series at least it could be trouble for Australia, but even so i dont think Lee will be as expensive as you think in SA, on evidence of his bowling in test this summer i think he will be fairly economical.
Whilst I admit that Lee has improved at home this summer, his only really convincing performance was in one innings at the 'Gabba against a weakish W.I. batting line up. The rest of the time, he was ok, but definately an improvement. If there is no McGrath in South Africa he will not be as successful.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Well there's really no other spinner in SA that i know of with any test experience except for Paul Adams and unless he's improved ten-fold that's no good, and SA don't want to go through the process of blooding a new spinner again.

Is it so wrong that maybe Smith can bowl his tweakers? I mean they didn't look too bad on the tv, and (sans warne) this series is gonna revolve around pace and not spin much at all.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
In the first test he didn't bowl in the first innings and bowled 3 overs for 6 runs in the second innings.

In the second test he got Gibbs, Boucher and Pollock and then Kallis and Rudolph and bowled 24 overs for 56 runs overall.

In the third test he got Kallis and after his 23 overs and 69 runs he didn't bowl the second time round.

Looks like his average is seriously affected by the fact that he only bowled over 5 overs in an innings twice in the series.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dixie Flatline said:
Boje was dropped for Sydney, the so-called "spinners paradise", after a poor Melbourne Test. Would the South Africans go back to him if Botha is unavailable, or would they take a punt on another spinner?
There's a very raw Tshabalala at Free State, who isn't ready to play test cricket, let alone against the Aussies..

Our spin cupboard is about as bare as Englands

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
Is it likely that Dippenaar will push for a place in the Test squad? I never rated him much when I saw him against England last year, but he looked a class act in the ODI's in Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ye he looked good, but looking at the SA top n middle-order i cant see who he would replace.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dippenaar has regularly disappointed in the test game, which is a real shame because he has all the attributes of being a really top class batsman..

I'm not sure if AB de Villiers will be featuring, or Kallis.. If Injuries were not a problem, my top six would be

1. Smith
2. de Villiers
3. Rudolph
4. Kallis
5. Gibbs
6. Prince/Dippenaar