• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's Ugly Slip Up

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
for sure. but he's just a drunk bloke in the crowd... There are lots of immoral acts commited by drunk blokes in crowds... How the players react however is different...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair, there was a big uproar over Chappel's thing, which wasn't 100% conclusive (at least I think it wasn't, not too sure), and there seems to be nothing over Murali.

Slats4ever

hmm the most drunk thing i've ever done at the cricket was fall down about 3 stairs on my face... i try to control myself in the members and just remain mute...

Precisely.... Some would say Chappell was provoked by people doing the wrong thing... Same thing can be said for Murali. Yet such a big issue was raised of Chappelli

JBH001

International Regular
True - but Murali has been on the receiving end from Australian crowds since 95-96.
Further he has had it - more or less - continuously this whole VB series.
I really dont think that it can be compared to Chapelli who lost it first time first go.

Murali should not have done what he did in any case - but even gentlemen have limits.
What the bloke in the crowd did was going too far and being drunk is poor excuse as the get up he was in argues premeditation, unless of course he was drinking hard at home getting ready for the game...

Slats4ever

hahahah i liked the way you finished that post JBH!!!

Murali gets a hard time from the Australian crowds but compared to other sports say playing tennis in Spain where the Aussie davis cup players got spat on it really isn't that bad!!!

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Slats4ever said:
hahahah i liked the way you finished that post JBH!!!

Murali gets a hard time from the Australian crowds but compared to other sports say playing tennis in Spain where the Aussie davis cup players got spat on it really isn't that bad!!!
I hope your aren't suggesting that Murali keeps taking all the abuse just because the Aussie tennis players get abused in Spain.

howardj

International Coach
I dont really condone what Murali did, but these guys are human beings. If you're constantly copping an absolute truckload from the crowd, occasionally you might lose your cool. As long as it's a one-off thing that he doesnt keep doing, I think we should be a little more understanding - that also goes for other players and teams who constantly get abused overseas. They are human beings in the heat of battle.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shouldn't have reacted and done it, just like Chappell. But I don't see how its so shocking. Everyone has their boiling point.

Still a bit silly, but when someone paints their face black and writes chucker on themselves, its hard to not react.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
for sure. but he's just a drunk bloke in the crowd... There are lots of immoral acts commited by drunk blokes in crowds... How the players react however is different...
Duncan Fletcher wasn't a drunken bloke in the crowd up at Trent Bridge...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
Well if you'd bothered to get their national anthem right...

33/3from3.3

Slats4ever said:
It doesn't make a diff if he was drunk that's still a taunt

Dydl

International Debutant
In the papers they had a photo of his offensive action....and it didn't look good (obviously)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
Why would a drunk guy in the crowd have boot-black with him?

In case he tripped and scuffed his shoes?