• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's Ugly Slip Up

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
I can't believe in 2006 someone blacks up their face to go to a cricket match!! Jesus. I don't think I'm some rampant PC Nazi, but am I the only one to consider that beyond the pale?

Charmless turd was lucky to get away with the bird from Murali. Certain sportsmen take a more proactive approach to dealing with racist divots....
Yeah, I agree. Does anyone know if the idiot was sent back to his village? Surely security didn't allow him to stand in the crowd looking like that for too long.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
How were we to know it wasn't 'Click Go the Shears'?
A common mistake.

I've seen the 'Barry McKenzie' films - it's "Go and stick your head up a dead bear's bum".

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Whenever I think of crowd behaviour, I think of Australians playing Tennis in Spain!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
Whenever I think of crowd behaviour, I think of Australians playing Tennis in Spain!
No-one ever said that Australia had a monopoly on boorish behaviour - and face it, compared to 1970's and 80's English football hooliganism, it's all pretty small beer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Still, I get that general attitude.

Are you feeling alright Eddie? Defending Ponting one day, now Australians in general the next. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
Still, I get that general attitude.

Are you feeling alright Eddie? Defending Ponting one day, now Australians in general the next. :D
There's none so blind as them that won't see. I'm just lulling you all into a false sense of security.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
social said:
And we all know what a genius Cantona was 8-)
He was a genius - just a bit hot-headed. And I also think the Palace fan deserved what he got.

(and to his credit he only got booked 3 more times in his whole career after that incident).

telsor

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
No-one ever said that Australia had a monopoly on boorish behaviour - and face it, compared to 1970's and 80's English football hooliganism, it's all pretty small beer.

The difference is relatively small sections of the Aus crowd Vs large sections back then.

Neither can be condoned, and indeed, both should be condemned, but that comparison is apples and watermelons.

That said, If an Australian who had done that to a Sri Lankan crowd would the same people have rushed to his defence?..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
telsor said:
The difference is relatively small sections of the Aus crowd Vs large sections back then.
I went to pretty well every Derby match (home and away) for 15 years or so when football hooliganism was at its height, and even then it was always a small number of thugs and a fair number of sheep.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
and to his credit he only got booked 3 more times in his whole career after that incident.
He was banned for the best part of a season(?), then retired shortly afterwards, mind.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
He was banned for the best part of a season(?), then retired shortly afterwards, mind.
Played almost 2 full seasons following his suspension after the 'kung fu' kick

Tom Halsey

International Coach
steds said:
No, he was absolutely instrumental (with Schmeichel) in us overhauling Newcastle in the 95/96 season (they were 12 points ahead in one point), the two of them had a deal going something like "you keep a clean sheet and I'll score one, okay?" and we won a spate of games 1-0 with Cantona scoring the only goal. We won the FA Cup final 1-0, with Cantona scoring the only goal.

In the 96/97 season, Cantona was still very good, but not his usual self, and retired at the end.

For a player with a temper as volatile as Cantona's once was, 3 bookings in nearly 2 whole seasons is a hell of an achievement.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not sure what to make about Murali.. I've never been able to accept him as a cricketer, even if he is apparently bowling within the laws of the game.. However the Aussie crowds havent exactly been covering their nation in glory this summer and that guy went over the top.. Its a lesser of two evils issue in my eyes..