• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rules Of The Game Question

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Today, while playing for my club side in a meaningless second innings (I dont even really know why we bothered attempting to win outright to be honest), a bowler from my side was called no-ball for not informing the umpire he was changing from pace to spin.

I was adament this rule was incorrect, as you dont even have to inform the umpire in the first place as to whether you are bowling pace or spin, and it really is subjective anyway. As far as I know, you only have to inform the umpire if you wish to bowl on the other side of the wicket, or if you wish to bowl with the other hand.

I thought I should double-check though, before I had a big fat whinge about it, so can anyone confirm this for me?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
SirBloody Idiot said:
He's wrong. Otherwise pace bowlers couldn't bowl cutters, and spinners quicker balls.
That's what I thought too.

The bowler could have easily just said "Im still bowling pace, that was just my slower one that turns that I bowl off a short run-up."

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Deja moo said:
Well, that explains it. doesn't it ? :p
Haha.. indeed.

Does anyone have a link to a cricket rules website, or a possible quote from the section regarding notification of the umpire?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You're completely correct - Law 24.1

Law 24 (No ball)

1. Mode of delivery
(a) The umpire shall ascertain whether the bowler intends to bowl right handed or left handed, over or round the wicket, and shall so inform the striker.
It is unfair if the bowler fails to notify the umpire of a change in his mode of delivery. In this case the umpire shall call and signal No ball.

(b) Underarm bowling shall not be permitted except by special agreement before the match.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It is unfair if the bowler fails to notify the umpire of a change in his mode of delivery. In this case the umpire shall call and signal No ball.
That bit is a bit unclear on the matter, though...

How is "mode of delivery" defined?

EDIT: Dont worry, I'm blind. That whole section is called "mode of delivery" and it doesnt mention spin or pace at all.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Today in the 20/20 final Scott Styris was chopping and changing between off-breaks off about a 4 pace run-up, and medium pacers, without notifying anyone several times in some overs.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
You're completely correct - Law 24.1

Law 24 (No ball)

1. Mode of delivery
(a) The umpire shall ascertain whether the bowler intends to bowl right handed or left handed, over or round the wicket, and shall so inform the striker.

(b) Underarm bowling shall not be permitted except by special agreement before the match.
Wow. Reading that, it says that on a no ball, a batsman can only be out for handled the ball, double hit, obstructing the field or a run out. I always thought he could be stumped, as well.

Edit: Ahhh... after reading more rules, I've found out that you can effectively be out stumped, only it's listed as run out so that the bowler isn't accredited with the wicket. Makes sense.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
thierry henry said:
Today in the 20/20 final Scott Styris was chopping and changing between off-breaks off about a 4 pace run-up, and medium pacers, without notifying anyone several times in some overs.
Yes, but in Scott Styris's case that's totally accidental of course.