Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a swing bowler

Pinball Champion!

Tips for a swing bowler

Hi there

Well its the off season, and I want to develop my inswing.. Im a fairly straight up and down fast bowler who relies on height and bounce and I want to get some new tricks..

I've never been able to swing a cricket ball off straight, inswing is something I want to practice because our slow low pitches rarely allow edges to carry, so I think a good outswinger will be wasted..

Action is obviously important, but mine is very chest on, is this a major problem?

Basically would like some thoughts from anyone here who practices the art of swing bowling..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Well I'm no expert on inswing bowling but I know that its vital that you have a side on action. Also you should hold the ball with the shiny side facing inwards and seam pointing towards leg slip. The side of the thumb should be on the seam. As I said, no expert.
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Your first lesson is the very same as my bowling coach told me almost 40 years ago.

Get an old cricket ball, paint one side black and the other side white. Now go and bowl with it. When you can deliver the ball in such a way that the seam stays upright without scrambling, come back for lesson two.

That sounds really flippant, but believe you me, it took me a full year before I could convince him that I was ready for the next step. If you can't hold a good seam position, you can't swing the ball with any consistency.

Edit:

The idea of having a two-coloured ball isn't new, although the year before last was the first time I'd seen it for over 25 years. Incidentally, it's also a superb idea for budding spin bowlers too - you should be able to rotate the ball both around and across the seam in order to vary the amount a ball will react off the surface.
    Last edited by luckyeddie; 02-02-2006 at 02:27 PM.

Lesson 1.5:

Don't give up after a few hours, PERSEVERE!
    Q: What's your favourite animal?
    Steve Waugh: Merv Hughes.

Fred Trueman:

That was a tremendous six, the ball was still in the air as it went over the boundary.
    That's what cricket is all about. Two batsmen pitting their wits against one another.
    Anyone foolish enough to predict the outcome of this match is a fool.
    Unless something happens that we can't predict, I don't think a lot will happen.

Ian Blackwell: It's just understanding foods and what to eat at certain times.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo
    Well I'm no expert on inswing bowling but I know that its vital that you have a side on action. Also you should hold the ball with the shiny side facing inwards and seam pointing towards leg slip. The side of the thumb should be on the seam. As I said, no expert.
    Completely and utterly wrong. Side on action gives you outswing, chest on gives you inswing. Bowling inswing with a side on action is nothing more than a shortcut to back pain.

Getting the seam straight and angling it in towards the batsman are the key start points... but it's difficult to say more without a front-on video.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Thanks for the responses

Is there a technique behind bowling a ball with a straight seam consistantly? Wrist position? I've been able to seam deliverys occasionally, but not consistantly..

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Thanks for the responses

Is there a technique behind bowling a ball with a straight seam consistantly? Wrist position? I've been able to seam deliverys occasionally, but not consistantly..
    Make sure everything is in a straight line i.e. body position, arm, head

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Thanks for the responses

It's in the wrist. It's got to start cocked and flick, which creats backward rotation on the ball, therefore keeping the seam vertical as it moves through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Completely and utterly wrong. Side on action gives you outswing, chest on gives you inswing. Bowling inswing with a side on action is nothing more than a shortcut to back pain.

Getting the seam straight and angling it in towards the batsman are the key start points... but it's difficult to say more without a front-on video.
    So its not completely wrong only the part about which part of your body should be facing the batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo
    So its not completely wrong only the part about which part of your body should be facing the batsman.
    Tell that to a ten year old and he'll be unable to bowl by the time he's your age. Action dictates swing, not shine. Besides, the shiny side should be on the off-side of the ball, which your initial point is either a) wrong or b) ambiguous about.

I would give some tips but then again i've haven't bowled since i was 14-15 (i'm 20 now) and that was junior stuff

"Action dictates swing, not shine."

Surely conditions play a part, i've seen bowlers on TV trying to swing it all-day and not get an inch of movement.

Action is obviously important, but mine is very chest on, is this a major problem?
    It actually helps for inswing.

Surely conditions play a part, i've seen bowlers on TV trying to swing it all-day and not get an inch of movement.
    Correct, but the main factor is action. You can have overcast conditions and a brand new ball, and still not swing it an iota if your action is wrong. Even with an old ball in dry conditions, the odd one will swing if you have the right action and get the wrist and seam positions correct.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Just tamper with the ball when nobody is looking.

*runs*
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    I would give some tips but then again i've haven't bowled since i was 14-15 (i'm 20 now) and that was junior stuff

"Action dictates swing, not shine."

Conditions (both atmospheric and ball), speed, relative humidity (oh yes, that's part of condition isn't it?) polo mints if you're English, fruit sweets if you're Indian, bottle tops if you're Pak.....(voice trails into distance)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    i bowl very chest on and my stock ball has always been an outswinger...
    what dictates which way i swing the ball is to do with my wrist....if i **** it then i can bowl an inswinger....if i keep it loose then i can bowl an out swinger....

but that's just me...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information