• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI and Test matches you've seen

Francis

State Vice-Captain
What are the best ODI and Test matches you've seen:

ODI: Australia vs. South Africa - 1999 World Cup Semi Final @ Edgbaston
(Hon. mentions come later...)

Tests: England vs. Australia - 2005 Ashes 2nd Test @ Edgbaston
Hon:
-India vs. Australia - 2nd test 2001
-West Indies vs. Australia - 4th test 1993 @ Adelaide

It's weird. It's like you need Australia in a match and losing for it to be great. I could have mentioned Botham's match at Headingley from 1981 as well. I'd rather do some study before the ODI list... only one stodd out a lot. However, there's some Tendulkar performances from 1998 tha'd rock. Pakistan vs. India from last year in one match where Afridi made a quick century might be a contender too.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I missed the edgbaston test because i was on holiday :(
so i personally think that the utter mess England made in trying to win the Old Trafford test made that exciting...
England vs West Indies in 2000(i think) bowling WI out for a ridiculous score to turn the match around...
I think Headingly 1981 deserves to be included purely for the fact two men decided they could actually win the match....Botham's batting and Willis' bowling. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England V Australia, Trent Bridge 2005 8-)

Can't think of a standout ODi just yet. Hmm.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
ODI - Champions Trophy 2004 final must be close. The NatWest Series tie this summer wasn't bad, either.

Obviously neither knock off AD's leaden feet, but they're top tens.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1st test - NZ v England at Christchurch
SA v NZ - Port Elizabeth 2005 (just because I was there and Kemp was in mutant form)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Top 5 test:

England vs New Zealand, Christchurch 2002
India vs Australia, Kolkatta, 2001
Australia vs West Indies, Barbados, 99
Australia vs West Indies, Antigua, 2003
Australia vs England, Edgbaston, 2005

Top 5ODI'S:

India vs Pakistan, Karachi, 2004
Australia vs South Africa, 99 WC
Australia vs England, Bristol, 2005
Australia vs Pakistan, Karachi, 98
Australia vs New Zealand, Melbourne 2002

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan vs India 1998/1999 when Afridi hit a blistering 141. India needing 280 to win were 250-5 and somehow managed to lose.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
My Favourites: (all modern)

Test

India v Australia 2001 (Kolkata)
India v Australia 2001 (Chennai)
England v Australia 2005 (Edgbaston)
England v Australia 2005 (Trent Bridge)
West Indies v Pakistan 2000 (Barbados?)

ODIs:

England v India 2002 (Lord's)
Australia v South Africa 1999 (WC Semi)
Bangladesh v Australia 2005

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
The rifles....

Test Match

Edgbaston 05 England V Australia - Well, what else is there left to say? The game to end all games, Breathtaking, pulsating, heart in mouth cricket not seen for a while.

West Indies 04 England V Windies - It was THE Test which got me interested in cricket, Harmison was phenomanal, and wickets never stopped falling 7-12, thats nothing short of incredible is it?

ODI

Well maybe not so good for the bangledeshi's, but trent bridge 05 England V Bangledesh. England posted their highest ever ODI Total, it was just relentlessm brutal batting, Struass made 168, Ashraful posted 90 odd for the bengalis, and also collingwood took 6-31 and became the first ever player in One Day international historyto score 100+ and take 6 wickets

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Aus v England 98/99 MCG. We were still in with a sniff of drawing the ashes and I'll never forget that morning, Ramps catch to dismiss Langer is still one of the greatest I have ever seen. Will never forget Mullally smacking a couple of fours of Mcgrath and Gough yorking Macgill at the end.

England v Aus 97 the Oval. It was at the Oval, series over and a real turner if I remember but still, it was Tuffers at his occasional inspirational best taking 11 wickets.