• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising Minnow country?

Which is the most promising Minnow country?

• USA

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Bermuda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UAE

• Namibia

• Holland/Netherlands

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Scotland

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Kenya

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Who do you think and why? I have excluded Bangladesh...and I am talking about the teams under them.

I personally would vote for USA. Am I biased? Maybe just a teeny bit. But the amount of cricket being played here in the big states like NY, Illinois, Cali, TX is incredible. So much of it. Summer leagues in cities like LA, San Fran, Houston (ESPECIALLY here), Dallas, NYC, Chicago is quality cricket. Young men just bursting with passion. Not just expatriates. I suppose I am proof of that, though still in the minority.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'd say Holland/Netherlands..

Would love it to be Namibia, they have a good setup, good facilities, and a small yet dedicated following, the problem is there are just a million people in Namibia! Thats the population of a mid size city..

TIF

U19 Debutant
These teams are missing from the poll. Can these be added somehow -

Ireland - Finished 2nd in the last ICC Trophy in 2005 and have a decent cricketing infrastructue in their country. Also, a lot of Ireland cricketers have some county experience and they are good enough at the under-19 level though. Also, they have beaten West Indies and Zimbabwe in unofficial matches in 2003 as well and have a team in the 2007 world cup.

Nepal - Have got into the u-19 world cup 4 times in a row after winning the ACC u-19 tournament involving Asian non-test teams like UAE, Malaysia, Thailand, Oman, etc. 3 times in a row. Have had a great record for a minnow in the last few u-19 world cups, having beaten Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa in the last 2 appearances in the u-19 world cup. Nepal, have a decent enough cricketing infrastructure for a minnow and cricket is already the no.1 sport of Nepal and they have a decent player base and fan base for a non-test country. Nepalis, believe that they can be the next Bangladesh of cricket.

Uganda - Well, they have made it into the u-19 world cup twice in a row and have a few decent youngsters in their team.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
TIF said:
These teams are missing from the poll. Can these be added somehow -

Ireland - Finished 2nd in the last ICC Trophy in 2005 and have a decent cricketing infrastructue in their country. Also, a lot of Ireland cricketers have some county experience and they are good enough at the under-19 level though. Also, they have beaten West Indies and Zimbabwe in unofficial matches in 2003 as well and have a team in the 2007 world cup.

Nepal - Have got into the u-19 world cup 4 times in a row after winning the ACC u-19 tournament involving Asian non-test teams like UAE, Malaysia, Thailand, Oman, etc. 3 times in a row. Have had a great record for a minnow in the last few u-19 world cups, having beaten Pakistan, Bangladesh and South Africa in the last 2 appearances in the u-19 world cup. Nepal, have a decent enough cricketing infrastructure for a minnow and cricket is already the no.1 sport of Nepal and they have a decent player base and fan base for a non-test country. Nepalis, believe that they can be the next Bangladesh of cricket.

Uganda - Well, they have made it into the u-19 world cup twice in a row and have a few decent youngsters in their team.
I'd go with Nepal for the future. You could make a point that the UAE could get better and better, but they're relying on expats too much. I voted Kenya, despite the weakness in the infrastructure, because they have the talent available.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
1. Holland
2. Ireland
3. Kenya

If Kenya could get their house in order they would be right on top in a couple of years

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nepal sounds interesting. If cricket is already the number one sport in a country of 25million+ it does sound as though it possibly has the most potential to grow into any kind of force on the world stage. Odd, given their relative success at under-19 level, that they haven't done better in any ICC Trophies.

From a Brit-centric standpoint it'd be nice to see cricket develop in Scotland, Ireland & Holland. I think Scotland have benefited from the Saltaires forays into our one-day league, although their status as perennial whipping boys is also a cause for concern as to the quality of the players available to them. Another problem for Scotland (& Ireland) is that if they do produce any decent players we tend to nick them!

Steulen

International Regular
kwek said:
I can't believe you people think Holland has a chance to get anywhere !
Sadly, I quite agree. The Netherlands were going really well, but they've somehow managed to stop their progress.

Ireland is the #1 upcoming nation right now. If (and that's a big if) they can keep hold of Ed Joyce they might be the surprise package of the World Cup. Nepal and China to be the big stories of the 2010's.