• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ESPN's Legends of Cricket

BazBall21

International Regular
Can you explain why Marshall above McGrath and why McGrath above Warne, why Murali so low, why Len Hutton above Brian Lara, Your opinion regarding Gavaskar ?
Hutton is borderline flawless statistically. Almost McGrath/Marshall level in that respect. Only things against him are his rigid tempo after his injury and the lack of high pace in his era.
Is Murali that low? He’s top 15. I’d consider him over Hammond but feel comfortable with the other twelve in-front of him.
McGrath is objectively better than Warne imo and I don’t consider Warne a pioneer in the same sense as others. It’s not like he invented or “rescued” leg spin. He was captivating and mastered a tricky art but I don’t think that should protect him from the scrutiny of failing against the team that played spin best amongst some struggles against other top players of spin. McGrath on the other hand was pretty all-conquering. Marshall vs McGrath is a 50/50 but I’ve always gone with Marshall for his better peak.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
Hutton is borderline flawless statistically. Almost McGrath/Marshall level in that respect. Only things against him are his rigid tempo after his injury and the lack of high pace in his era.
Is Murali that low? He’s top 15. I’d consider him over Hammond but feel comfortable with the other twelve in-front of him.
McGrath is objectively better than Warne imo and I don’t consider Warne a pioneer in the same sense as others. It’s not like he invented or “rescued” leg spin. He was captivating and mastered a tricky art but I don’t think that should protect him from the scrutiny of failing against the team that played spin best amongst some struggles against other top players of spin. McGrath on the other hand was pretty all-conquering. Marshall vs McGrath is a 50/50 but I’ve always gone with Marshall for his better peak.
Ok yeah i get it ! Warne dropped from Team once by Steve Waugh for McGill and poor stats in India. I was also very surprised why Murali was a flop in Australia.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Can you explain why Marshall above McGrath and why McGrath above Warne, why Murali so low, why Len Hutton above Brian Lara, Your opinion regarding Gavaskar ?
Not all of the opinions you'll find have an "in stone" concensus. All of the above you've listed can be reasonably argued for the opposite. These are ultimately opinions, and as such based on what the person making the judgement values in a cricketer.