• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Racism - Social pariah or public consensus?

Shounak

Banned
Top_Cat said:
Guys, this running feud is officially worse than the Richard vs TEC post-wars. It's getting boring and you're both polluting various threads with the same old stuff. Can we PLEASE end it right now? I don't care a jot about each other's right of reply but I don't want to close the thread either. You've both said your piece multiple times so enough, please.
Agreed.. It's gone from intelligent posts from both sides to a plain and simple "poo" fight..

Plus, this thread is too good to be closed..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
congrats. Where is your trophy?

Seriously, you and CC need to chill out. It is obvious that CC knows far more than you in relation to certain fields and it is also obvious that you know far more than him in certain fields. But instead of learning from each other, you guys have been at each others' throats for a good couple of months now and yet, you guys are still at exactly where you began. Arguments are fruitless, discussions are fruitful. ;)

BTW, my company's motto is "learning and sharing". :D
All that's fine, HB but let me tell you a little (and unpleasant) story.

Several years ago, I visited SA with my closest friend (best man at my wedding).

This friend, who happens to be a Pakistani, was subject to racial abuse on this trip.

I was also subject to racial abuse, for no other reason than I was a white man in the company of a Pakistani.

Needless to say, it was all very unpleasant.

On the way back to my then home of Hong Kong, I stopped over in Karachi (his home) with my friend.

During that time, I witnessed my friend abuse another Pakistani for simply walking on the same side of the street that he was.

Later, when I pulled him up on this (and made reference to his experience in SA), he simply stated "that's different."

My response was straight-forward - "that's bull- @##$%$%^"

IMO, sectarianism and racism are one and the same - abhorrent and intolerable.

BTW, my friend and I still great mates.

However, we never speak of those 2 incidents as it is the only time we have had cross words.

C_C

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Guys, this running feud is officially worse than the Richard vs TEC post-wars. It's getting boring and you're both polluting various threads with the same old stuff. Can we PLEASE end it right now? I don't care a jot about each other's right of reply but I don't want to close the thread either. You've both said your piece multiple times so enough, please.
Fair enough and to be frank, i've had enough. Social becomes the first official member of my 'ignore list'. Welcome and enjoy your stay!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Fair enough and to be frank, i've had enough. Social becomes the first official member of my 'ignore list'. Welcome and enjoy your stay!
Doesn't work.

I've had Jono, Sanz, TEC, Deja Moo and a few others on mine at one time or another (and half of the New Zealand posse too). Even had you on for a bit - and Clown_Symonds.

What happens is twofold:

1. You end up seeing 'second generation' comments by them, sometimes about you and always out of context
2. Every time you see the old "This post suppressed because ...." message in place of a post, insecurity and paranoia kick in. "It's about me, isn't it? The git's stirring up trouble. Interfering swine" - and you HAVE to unblock them because you KNOW it's about you.

C_C

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Doesn't work.

I've had Jono, Sanz, TEC, Deja Moo and a few others on mine at one time or another (and half of the New Zealand posse too). Even had you on for a bit - and Clown_Symonds.

What happens is twofold:

1. You end up seeing 'second generation' comments by them, sometimes about you and always out of context
2. Every time you see the old "This post suppressed because ...." message in place of a post, insecurity and paranoia kick in. "It's about me, isn't it? The git's stirring up trouble. Interfering swine" - and you HAVE to unblock them because you KNOW it's about you.
Its okay, dont worry. I absolutely dont care what he has to say about me or anything in general. Ofcourse, time will tell how true this comment of mine is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
social said:
All that's fine, HB but let me tell you a little (and unpleasant) story.

Several years ago, I visited SA with my closest friend (best man at my wedding).

This friend, who happens to be a Pakistani, was subject to racial abuse on this trip.

I was also subject to racial abuse, for no other reason than I was a white man in the company of a Pakistani.

Needless to say, it was all very unpleasant.

On the way back to my then home of Hong Kong, I stopped over in Karachi (his home) with my friend.

During that time, I witnessed my friend abuse another Pakistani for simply walking on the same side of the street that he was.

Later, when I pulled him up on this (and made reference to his experience in SA), he simply stated "that's different."

My response was straight-forward - "that's bull- @##$%$%^"

IMO, sectarianism and racism are one and the same - abhorrent and intolerable.

BTW, my friend and I still great mates.

However, we never speak of those 2 incidents as it is the only time we have had cross words.
Sectarianism, casteism (sp?), racism and all those other sorts of discrimination should all be equally condemned. There is some discrimination involved in all our lives...in terms of financial status, or even in terms of jobs. (some people in India shy away from being friends with people in the movie biz) But when it is prevalent in a large extent, as sectarianism, racism etc. are, they need to condemned and squashed as much as possible. The problem though is, with casteism in India, it is fellow Indians who are abused and sometimes stuff like this is brushed under the carpet. But racism means that people from other countries and cultures are being targetted and they come under public scrutiny a lot more. Plus, when Indians hurl abuse at Indians, it doesn't represent Indians as a whole in the same way as when some Aussies abuse Indians for their race. It just brings a bad reputation to the whole country and that is why it gets highlighted more.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not try to actually ignore him? You don't honestly need forum software in order to not rise to the bait, do you? Surely you have more self-control than that. Get off the weed, man; the paranoia's getting to you. :D

C_C

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Why not try to actually ignore him? You don't honestly need forum software in order to not rise to the bait, do you? Surely you have more self-control than that. Get off the weed, man; the paranoia's getting to you. :D

WHAT DID YOU SAY ? GET OFF THE WEED ?!?

(Gollum Voice) : " My precioussssss"
:p :p

PS: Thats 0-2 for me. Maybe Eddie is right. Involving the software only confuses the brain some more.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
Sectarianism, casteism (sp?), racism and all those other sorts of discrimination should all be equally condemned. There is some discrimination involved in all our lives...in terms of financial status, or even in terms of jobs. (some people in India shy away from being friends with people in the movie biz) But when it is prevalent in a large extent, as sectarianism, racism etc. are, they need to condemned and squashed as much as possible. The problem though is, with casteism in India, it is fellow Indians who are abused and sometimes stuff like this is brushed under the carpet. But racism means that people from other countries and cultures are being targetted and they come under public scrutiny a lot more. Plus, when Indians hurl abuse at Indians, it doesn't represent Indians as a whole in the same way as when some Aussies abuse Indians for their race. It just brings a bad reputation to the whole country and that is why it gets highlighted more.
Thanks, I understand all of that.

I'm as ashamed as anyone in regards to our race relations and the way it is portrayed to the world.

However, when somebody highlights your own short-comings and ignores their own, it does tend to get on your nerves.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
luckyeddie said:
Doesn't work.

What happens is twofold:

Lol... wow. Well if you believe that's how it is I'll leave you to it.

None the less thanks PY. Very much appreciated :)