Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground statistics are useless

Ground statistics are useless

One thing that you often hear before or during a match is how often the home team has won on a particular ground, or how a player has performed. In my opinion, all of these statistics are of absolutely no relevance to the match in question. If someone played on a ground 2 or 3 years ago and did well, it doesn't mean that they will do the same thing when they play on the same ground. If they do play well it is by 1. their consistency or 2. coincidence. Also if a team has won on a ground previously, doesn't mean they will again, a prime example could be the Karachi test that is currently going on. If Pakistan lose this match, which is very possible, (50/50 at the moment) then it will go against their record of only losing once at the National Stadium. So I think that ground statistics in most instances should be scrapped.

Comments?
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Let's be honest, all statistics are only good for trotting out in arguments.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    That may be but players and teams do generally feel good when they are at a ground where they have done well previously.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Okay maybe there's the superstition factor, but in most cases that doesn't carry much value.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo
    Okay maybe there's the superstition factor, but in most cases that doesn't carry much value.
    u call it superstition. I call it psychological.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I sort of agree,but as a player myself and from reading a fair few autobiographies,it does matter.

There's a ground that i play on every year for my school and i've got a fifty every time,and i can honestly say that playing there greatly enhances my performance.

Why?because it's a great place to play cricket it in,and it allways relaxes me so i don't feel nervous before i bat.It's really open with no buldings over 2 stories blocking the view.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I agree with honestbharani that it is a psychological thing. A player who has scored runs at a particular venue would feel more comfortable playing there than at other grounds. You back yourself more when you think you've done the job there before, and therefore that you can certainly do it again regardless of the opposition.

There are also factors like the home ground and home crowd. A player may be more inclined to confidence in front of a known and comfortable crowd.

Concering team records on a particular ground, it's the same thing there too. For years the Kensington Oval was regarded as a safe haven for the West Indies. They felt confident that the nature of the pitch would allow them to rise to victory from any level of adversity. A great deal of the sport is played in the mind.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    There are lies, there are damned lies and then there's statistics - Disraeli
    and i bet i've misquoted it too

There's always the home crowd/ground phenomenon....there's no physical edge with playing at home (although it could be argued that e.g. England are always going to be disadvantaged in the sub continent) yet home teams always stand a better chance of winning....

on a personal level there's no place i play where i think wow, i feel like i could do really well here....
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Concering team records on a particular ground, it's the same thing there too. For years the Kensington Oval was regarded as a safe haven for the West Indies. They felt confident that the nature of the pitch would allow them to rise to victory from any level of adversity. A great deal of the sport is played in the mind.
    This may be true but it doesn't mean that the West Indies will have more of an advantage to the West Indies when they play there. There is a different team every time the West Indies turn out, so apart from Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Gayle, I don't think even if there is a psychological thing, that the team will be affected.

If you look at Jayasuriya and the SCG, its not irrelevant. It definitely means something, and as has already been mentioned, probably is psychological. Obviously the conditions there will have a direct impact as well.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup

pretty much
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    There are lies, there are damned lies and then there's statistics - Disraeli
    and i bet i've misquoted it too
    Strangely enough, it has been found that 67.5% of the population misquote Disraeli within statistical arguments.

And on home advantage... the obvious answer is familiarity with surroundings and conditions (just plain old being used to them and playing your 'normal' game accordingly)
    Last edited by luckyeddie; 30-01-2006 at 03:27 AM.

Pinball Champion!
    What I hate is when commentators talk about F Bloggs's average at the 'Gabba with his wife sitting in Row Z whilst batting at number 3 and the bowlers name if Fred, and how that is oh so relevent.. it means nothing, so live with it..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    What I hate is when commentators talk about F Bloggs's average at the 'Gabba with his wife sitting in Row Z whilst batting at number 3 and the bowlers name if Fred, and how that is oh so relevent.. it means nothing, so live with it..
    Is this turning into the third conspiracy thread of the day?

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Is this turning into the third conspiracy thread of the day?
    no, im denying that accusation..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information