• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Tendulkar Chicken Out ?

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Sachin's controversial dismissal reminded me of a few batsmen who preferred walking off the pitch on their legs rather than being carried away on stretchers when the great Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were at their brilliant best." - Moin Khan reckons that Tendulkar bottled it at Faisalabad.
Dileep Premachandran is features editor of Cricinfo.

Whats our take on this, did Tendulkar walk away deliberately? As the glove was not in contact with the bat , he should know the rules by now that he was not out .........

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
I think he was just doing the right thing,he thought he was out so he walked,i dont think he chickend out,if he was out and didnt walk he would have the Pak fans on his back about it

adharcric

International Coach
Someone who faced Wasim and Waqar as a 16-year old ... chickened out? Excuse me, be jealous of the master if you want, but don't toss out rubbish like that. Please. Tendulkar must've known he gloved it, and when someone bowls at 150 kmph, it's not so easy for anyone to know if the back hand is on or slightly off the bat .. even the batsman himself.

Sudeep

International Captain
thirdumpire said:
"Sachin's controversial dismissal reminded me of a few batsmen who preferred walking off the pitch on their legs rather than being carried away on stretchers when the great Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis were at their brilliant best." - Moin Khan reckons that Tendulkar bottled it at Faisalabad.
Dileep Premachandran is features editor of Cricinfo.

Whats our take on this, did Tendulkar walk away deliberately? As the glove was not in contact with the bat , he should know the rules by now that he was not out .........
Horse manure.

Sudeep

International Captain
Also, whether or not he WAS out, is something that is too difficult to judge, even after watching all those slow-mo shots. The glove was off the bat, but he was in the process, which means he wasn't in full control. Whether it was out, I don't know, but neither am I sure it was not out.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I cant believe people can criticize a guy for walking. SRT knew he was out, he walked like he does each time he thinks he is out. This is the same batsman who had wasim/waqar/shoaib on stretchers many a times in his career.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
moin khan talking through his behind, that's all...we shouldn't dignify such comments with a thread....:)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with all in this thread but also say that I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Sachin, aging eyes and back, would be as willing to face quick bowling as he was as a teenager. Everyone gets older and it IS possible that occasionally he'd flinch. Even AB, one of the players the WI team of the 80's respected most, flinched occasionally the older he got. He is not, after all, the same player as he was 10 years ago.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just as a point of cricket law, if he touches the live ball with his hand shouldn't he be given out for "handling the ball" anyway? Assuming someone appeals, obv.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:
I cant believe people can criticize a guy for walking. .
Of course you can, because you can bet your bottom dollar the guy on the opposite team who scores 100 won't be walking, so you're doing your team a disservice by doing so..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On NDTV, former India offie Nikhil chopra said that Moin was supposed to hae a head on his shoulders, but age seems to have caught up with him and he's losing it a little. It's not that simple when you're facing anything that fast. It's difficult to guess.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
On NDTV, former India offie Nikhil chopra said that Moin was supposed to hae a head on his shoulders, but age seems to have caught up with him and he's losing it a little. It's not that simple when you're facing anything that fast. It's difficult to guess.
i'm glad for pakistan, that they have akmal and not moin khan as their keeper.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I agree with all in this thread but also say that I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Sachin, aging eyes and back, would be as willing to face quick bowling as he was as a teenager. Everyone gets older and it IS possible that occasionally he'd flinch. Even AB, one of the players the WI team of the 80's respected most, flinched occasionally the older he got. He is not, after all, the same player as he was 10 years ago.
eager....maybe, maybe not, only he knows for sure....but saying he got scared and walked is pure unadulterated crap.....

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Even if Tendulkar would not have walked, the umpire would probably still have given him out seeing as you cannot tell from the naked eye if someone has taken their hand off the bat.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
If Tendulkar wanted to chicken out he could have just charged one of the bowlers made sure he missed it and he would have been probably been stumped or bowled.

But it's complete and utter dog-crap to suggest that after years of facing ambrose, walsh, Waqar, akram, donald and other quick bowlers he would just suddenly get scared facing really just the one very quick bowler on a flat track.